Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
When I click on the icon for Microsoft Word 2019 standalone edition, my MAS icon bounces and shows the active indicator (a dot) under the icon, instead of the Word icon/indicator.

Word loads correctly and there are no other issues, but I have to exit out of Word if I want to open the MAS.

Subsequent launching of Word works as expect and the MAS icon is not effected thereafter.

This happens when I clone my primary NVMe, to my backup NVMe. It happens when I boot to the cloned drive, and use Word for the 1st time after a backup operation.

I believe the problem is actually with the primary drive, and carried over to the backup drive, but after 1 launch the issue corrects itself somehow, so it's not really noticed on the primary drive.

This isn't a big issue obviously, but I'm curious if anyone here has a clue what exactly could be the cause of this?

System specs are in the signature...

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
When I click on the icon for Microsoft Word 2019 standalone edition, my MAS icon bounces and shows the active indicator (a dot) under the icon, instead of the Word icon/indicator.

Word loads correctly and there are no other issues, but I have to exit out of Word if I want to open the MAS.

Subsequent launching of Word works as expect and the MAS icon is not effected thereafter.

This happens when I clone my primary NVMe, to my backup NVMe. It happens when I boot to the cloned drive, and use Word for the 1st time after a backup operation.

I believe the problem is actually with the primary drive, and carried over to the backup drive, but after 1 launch the issue corrects itself somehow, so it's not really noticed on the primary drive.

This isn't a big issue obviously, but I'm curious if anyone here has a clue what exactly could be the cause of this?

System specs are in the signature...

I've had something like this happen when cloning back my main partition to my MBP using CCC. The wrong icon is shown as open in the dock, and it happened randomly on booting into the freshly cloned back OS... as for why... I don't know...??? However, the following Terminal command helped me and resolves the issue when it occurs.

defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

It may or may not help you, and of course, use it at your own risk.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've had something like this happen when cloning back my main partition to my MBP using CCC. The wrong icon is shown as open in the dock, and it happened randomly on booting into the freshly cloned back OS... as for why... I don't know...??? However, the following Terminal command helped me and resolves the issue when it occurs.

defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

It may or may not help you, and of course, use it at your own risk.

Thanks... I’ll try it out tomorrow. No risk involved as I have numerous backups... I too use CCC so maybe that’s a factor.

UPDATE:

Okay, so I installed the free version of SuperDuper! and made a clone using the same drives. Issue doesn't occur after making a clone. I can only conclude that this issue is something caused by CCC and I'll be reporting it to Mike to see if he can nail it down. I HATE the SuperDuper! interface and lack of options, but I can't argue with it's effectiveness. Also it's a lot slower than CCC so something is different in the cloning algorithm and that may be related to the issue.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Okay, I went ahead and tried that. No dice... Same thing happens after a clone-job every time.

I may look into other cloning software (a shame really, I love CCC and purchased it) to see if it has similar issues.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Perhaps you should try to log in under a different User Account. If the Dock problem goes away, you might want to move all your files over to the new account and delete the old one. That could be easier than trying to troubleshoot the problem.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Perhaps you should try to log in under a different User Account. If the Dock problem goes away, you might want to move all your files over to the new account and delete the old one. That could be easier than trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I'll try that, but I doubt that's the solution. I just did a clean install to test for this, and it's still there. Mike Bombich (developer of CCC) says others have had this problem too. He is investigating for a solution.

UPDATE:
After making a new clone using SuperDuper! (which fully wiped the drive before cloning), I'm not able to reproduce the issue. I wiped the drive again and used CCC to make a fresh from scratch clone, and the problem didn't return. I believe there must have been a corrupted file on the target drive that wasn't initially getting replaced when using CCC to RE-CLONE over top of the current copy (many unchanged files are skipped in the cloning process). After a full erase, and a fresh CCC clone, the problem is gone.

Last edited:

Gsazraetr

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Do we have a final word on this?

I maintain a Mojave volume on my MBP and as others have described the issue appeared after cloning it back via CCC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.