Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
I recently upgraded to a RED Monstro 8K VV camera so the single card will not cut it. I’m looking to buy the duo and I’m praying that will be enough! But where can I sell off this card? Is there a Mac marketplace somewhere? Or am I stuck on fleabay?

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Why not just buy another pro Vega? I’m listing mine on eBay here soon but then remembered eBays 10% fee along with PayPal’s 3% fee..

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
It looks like it will sell on FleaBay but I wish I could have sold it on a mac forum or marketplace why is there no buy/sell on here?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^There is, but:

The marketplace is only accessible if you have at least 250 posts and have been a member for 6 months.

You meet the time qualification, but not the post count.

And, as I said above, you could have PMd the OP.

Lou

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Worth noting two Solos are better than a Duo because of the increased PCIe bandwidth. But it you really want a Duo, go for it!

Crwoo

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Hi, I would like to upgrade my stock card to a Vega II MPX or a w5700x MPX module. I would also be interested in including my stock gpu as a partial trade if anyone is interested. PM me if you have one for sale.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Worth noting two Solos are better than a Duo because of the increased PCIe bandwidth. But it you really want a Duo, go for it!
Hmm interesting, would duo be better for compatibility? eliminating the need for the infinity fabric bridge?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hmm interesting, would duo be better for compatibility? eliminating the need for the infinity fabric bridge?

The Duo has a Infinity Fabric bridge so pragmatically there is nothing eliminated. ( on the board or between boards ... either way the software would overtly have to deal with it about the same way. And either way paying for an I.F. bridge. )

The Duo is more space efficient. If need MPX Bay 2 for other cards then two MPX modules soaks up four double wide slots in the MP 2019 ( 8 slots! ). That is a ton of space if short on space. if the MPX Bay 2 is sitting completely empty anyway ... then it could be appropriate.

Two Solo versus one Duo is largely a tradeoff for space and some bandwidth for the GPU so more space and more bandwidth for some non GPU uses. Two Solos are better at maximize the PCI-e bandwidth assigned to the GPUs. That's fine if can get them enough data in a timely fashion to keep them busy.

The Duo can also help drive more monitors if up in the 4-6+ need range. ( which is probably pretty far out of the mainstream )

Rr697

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2019
The Duo has a Infinity Fabric bridge so pragmatically there is nothing eliminated. ( on the board or between boards ... either way the software would overtly have to deal with it about the same way. And either way paying for an I.F. bridge. )

The Duo is more space efficient. If need MPX Bay 2 for other cards then two MPX modules soaks up four double wide slots in the MP 2019 ( 8 slots! ). That is a ton of space if short on space. if the MPX Bay 2 is sitting completely empty anyway ... then it could be appropriate.

Two Solo versus one Duo is largely a tradeoff for space and some bandwidth for the GPU so more space and more bandwidth for some non GPU uses. Two Solos are better at maximize the PCI-e bandwidth assigned to the GPUs. That's fine if can get them enough data in a timely fashion to keep them busy.

The Duo can also help drive more monitors if up in the 4-6+ need range. ( which is probably pretty far out of the mainstream )

How much faster is two Radeon Pro Vega II VS. the Duo? I just bought the Duo and wondering if I should return it and do 2 of the VII's. I did not know about this PCIE bandwidth issue. I do a lot of video editing so this is important to me.... then a last question would be..... how much faster is TWO Duo's over two of the VII's both would max out the available physical space. I just bought a RED 8K Monstro so my needs just increased significantly! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I've listed things in the Marketplace on the forum here, but I haven't sold anything though here yet. I don't like using eBay due to their fees, but I've had good luck selling things fast on there. You just need to increase the price to cover the fees (use one of those eBay & PayPal fee calculators.) I'm making it clear in my listings now that if they return something the PayPal fees won't be refunded (since PayPal doesn't refund them anymore). Also consider PayPal charges a fee on sales tax collected by eBay since eBay has you collect that for them via PayPal; so figure that into the price as well.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
How much faster is two Radeon Pro Vega II VS. the Duo? I just bought the Duo and wondering if I should return it and do 2 of the VII's. I did not know about this PCIE bandwidth issue. I do a lot of video editing so this is important to me.... then a last question would be.....

Actual video editing (scrubbing through timeline(s) and making adjustments) . There is probably a negligible issue in most cases. The only place going to see a huge difference is when an extremely huge amount of data is being moved across the PCI-e connection to the card(s). One 8K stream probably isn't going to do that.

Someone using a Afterburner card to decode 2-3 8K ProRes streams while concurrently transcoded 1-2 8K RED streams in the background would see a difference. But transcoding a single RED 8K stream I doubt there is much, if any, significant difference.

But for workloads which load up the GPU VRAM and then spend lots of time running, there is very little difference. As long as the data is loaded on both GPU packages it won't matter much whether in DUO or two Solo format. It is only when the 2nd GPU package on the DUO gets "blocked" by data up/down of the 1st GPU package that there is any gap. There is a fair amount of video workloads that don't completely staturate a x16 PCI-e v3 link. (i.e., greater than approximate 120 Gb/s or about 15 GB/s ).

how much faster is TWO Duo's over two of the VII's both would max out the available physical space. I just bought a RED 8K Monstro so my needs just increased significantly! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Kind of depends upon how optimized the RED transcoder/decoder is. If it parallelize well that is 4 GPU packages versus 2. If any even anywhere near a have decent job (e.g. 0.80+ per GPU added ) then 4 is probably will be faster. If the code is self regulated on to just one GPU then even the two VII aren't going to help versus one VII.

If the code is "stuck" on one GPU package (+ directly attached screen ) then if have 2-3 screens to display on then still can spread out the de/transcoding

Last edited:

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Actual video editing (scrubbing through timeline(s) and making adjustments) . There is probably a negligible issue in most cases. The only place going to see a huge difference is when an extremely huge amount of data is being moved across the PCI-e connection to the card(s). One 8K stream probably isn't going to do that.

Someone using a Afterburner card to decode 2-3 8K ProRes streams while concurrently transcoded 1-2 8K RED streams in the background would see a difference. But transcoding a single RED 8K stream I doubt there is much, if any, significant difference.

But for workloads which load up the GPU VRAM and then spend lots of time running, there is very little difference. As long as the data is loaded on both GPU packages it won't matter much whether in DUO or two Solo format. It is only when the 2nd GPU package on the DUO gets "blocked" by data up/down of the 1st GPU package that there is any gap. There is a fair amount of video workloads that don't completely staturate a x16 PCI-e v3 link. (i.e., greater than approximate 120 Gb/s or about 15 GB/s ).

Kind of depends upon how optimized the RED transcoder/decoder is. If it parallelize well that is 4 GPU packages versus 2. If any even anywhere near a have decent job (e.g. 0.80+ per GPU added ) then 4 is probably will be faster. If the code is self regulated on to just one GPU then even the two VII aren't going to help versus one VII.

If the code is "stuck" on one GPU package (+ directly attached screen ) then if have 2-3 screens to display on then still can spread out the de/transcoding
What does it mean for code to get stuck (how does it happen) on a GPU?

Crwoo

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Hi, I would like to upgrade my stock card to a Vega II MPX or a w5700x MPX module. I would also be interested in including my stock gpu as a partial trade if anyone is interested. PM me if you have one for sale.

hey all, I’m still looking, impress me.
I don’t have access to the marketplace. I’ve been a member here for a long time though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.