Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello,

I tried on high sierra latest ver, to add keyboard Wubi Xing (keyboard / language input source) to allow me to edit a chinese text,
and cannot find it anywhere.

I have a friend who has it though, not sure if it was apple supplied or not.

May i ask, how can i copy this keyboard from her mac to my mac.
where to look for and how to install it.

thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You should have it with a standard macOS install...

I checked on both Sierra and a Mojave system, so should be in the same location on your High Sierra system:
System Preferences/Keyboard pane, then the Input Sources tab.
Click the Plus (+) in that pane to add a different language input source.
Scroll to Chinese, Simplified.
You should see 3 or 4 choices:
Pinyin
Stroke
Shuangpin, and...
Wubi Xing.
Choose that item, and your keyboard will be added.
Check that "Show Input Menu in menu bar" is selected, which allows you to select the Wubi Xing keyboard from that menu.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
great my friend, thanks a lot ! I did not know where to go and find this wubi xing...

The next question is... do you know how to rearrange the keyboards on system preferences panel. i cannot do it - no way to do it i think.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The next question is... do you know how to rearrange the keyboards on system preferences panel. i cannot do it - no way to do it i think.
I also tried to change the order of keyboards in the Input Sources window. That doesn't appear to be possible...
But, it's just a list of available keyboards, and the actual order doesn't appear to affect how that window is used. No keyboard is "default", for example. It simply keeps whichever one you select as the active keyboard. Does that setting change when you restart? (I did not restart when I was looking at that)
However, you can simplify that pane, deleting those keyboards that you would seldom use, so the only keyboards listed are your own set.
You CAN manipulate the order just a little, by the sequence of choosing the keyboards as you add them. However, if the keyboards are all in one section (such as Pinyin and Wubi Xing), then THAT order appears to be pre-determined by how those are listed in the selection list. I don't understand how that works, but you can experiment a little, maybe it will be useful for you.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
yeah... bad luck. it just messed with order and the problem ie is that now i have to type 4 clicks to go down to then EN keyboad (after the wubi xing addition) i will remove it after i finish the job i want to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.