Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
As someone who is really looking forward to the 13/14 inch m2/m1x MacBook Pro, the rumors that it might be announced at WWDC were exciting to me, and convincing. When Apple did not announce the laptop I really want, I was honestly pretty bummed. But then I realized, or just remembered that it's called a developer conference for a reason and that its geared toward software. And as impatient as I am, I know the 13/14 inch is coming someday and it'll be great (fingers crossed haha).

I think what Apple is doing with Apple silicon is awesome and I can't wait to see where it goes. Their renewed emphasis on the Mac makes me excited. Anyways, just wanted to share my story and spread a little positivity and enthusiasm to the forum. I'm just someone who enjoys Apple products and likes to occasionally share my thoughts. Cheers!

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
As someone who is really looking forward to the 13/14 inch m2/m1x MacBook Pro, the rumors that it might be announced at WWDC were exciting to me, and convincing. When Apple did not announce the laptop I really want, I was honestly pretty bummed. But then I realized, or just remembered that it's called a developer conference for a reason and that its geared toward software. And as impatient as I am, I know the 13/14 inch is coming someday and it'll be great (fingers crossed haha).

I think what Apple is doing with Apple silicon is awesome and I can't wait to see where it goes. Their renewed emphasis on the Mac makes me excited. Anyways, just wanted to share my story and spread a little positivity and enthusiasm to the forum. I'm just someone who enjoys Apple products and likes to occasionally share my thoughts. Cheers!
as developer , that is the right name for right event . Some people allready make example swift ui 3.0 seem goood.

Joelist

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Illinois
It sounds like Apple decided to delay the announcement fairly late, as it really felt in the keynote like they were stretching to fill a time slot where they previously had more stuff. Maybe this was the global chip shortage causing Apple to have to delay a bit or possibly they are trying to make sure this time the pipeline has enough product in it before announcing.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
The WWDC Launch (hard to call it Keynote) was just over 90 mins long, that was significant. Although wish that MacOS wasn't last. And whilst there is not a lot of meat this year, I kinda like that; focus on polishing the platforms.

Reactions: southerndoc

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
I mean of course they have announced HW on WWDC before but as you said it is a "Developer Conference", so software should be the focus.

Last year they presented Apple Silicon on WWDC, but not any actual product aside from the dev kit, that is just that a developers kit. So I feel that not presenting any new Apple Silicon products this year is fairly in line with their vision of WWDC.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The WWDC Launch (hard to call it Keynote) was just over 90 mins long, that was significant. Although wish that MacOS wasn't last. And whilst there is not a lot of meat this year, I kinda like that; focus on polishing the platforms.

The golden rule of presenting says that most important things are mentioned in the beginning and in the end. It makes perfect sense to mention macOS last. It's the "most venerable" Apple platform and a great way to finish up the keynote.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The sad part is that most likely it means new macs aren’t coming until September or October. Unless they have a back to school event or something. Not sure what precedent there is for a major product release between WWDC and September/October events.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
The golden rule of presenting says that most important things are mentioned in the beginning and in the end. It makes perfect sense to mention macOS last. It's the "most venerable" Apple platform and a great way to finish up the keynote.
I like to pretend that macOS "main evented" WWDC, as they do in many sports, when the participants go on last (or pro wrestling, for those so inclined). I spent most of WWDC with the volume muted. It was a slog for me, because I've become a dinosaur. I switched to the Mac in 2006, which is about the same as 2/3 of the ATP guys, but unlike them I have zero interest in Apple's other devices or services. I used to refer to the the iDevices as "iToys", but changed that behavior because I inadvertently offended some people. I think some folks incorporate Apple into their personal identity.

I only care about the Mac, and if Apple stopped supporting it or crapped the bed with it, then I'd look elsewhere. That's why I was pleased about the Apple Silicon transition, because it meant that Apple was investing substantial resources into the Mac platform. I'll switch from Intel in another 2 or 3 years, because I'm conservative about switching to newer architectures after troubles with the PPC to Intel switch.

Anyway, I guess I'll go join other old-timey Mac users in the retirement home, yelling at kids to get off my lawn!

dahlblom

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
I agree. This also means that it´s gonna be a looong summer (both bad and good)..

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It’s not that hardware isn’t revealed at WWDC because it often is.

The problem is the source who suggested MacBook Pro would be released at that time. He made a claim that made zero sense for anyone following the supply chain rumors. As a result, his track record is pretty poor in terms of accuracy.

If you disregard that source next time, you probably won’t be disappointed.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I so appreciate your positivity, OP. I'm right there with you. People have lost a little perspective on what WWDC is supposed to be at its heart. Obviously Apple expects regular users to watch it too or they wouldn't make it so readily available, but hardware takes a backseat on these keynotes, as it should. In the meantime, you have people conjuring up new features and gear that have never been promised or announced, and then the disappointment ensues after.

Personally, I've never been so content with my Apple gear. My M1 MBA is amazing, I love the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I use my AirPods Pro daily, etc. And I actually LOVE when WWDC focuses only on software. It's the one time of year where the real focus is how Apple is going to make your CURRENT devices be even cooler in a few months. It's refreshing sometimes to not be all gimme gimme gimme about new hardware and focus on quality of life improvements and new features.

Granted, there wasn't anything I was dying to upgrade before Monday's event anyway, but I've recently gotten off the "upgrade all the Apple things every year" train. I think a lot of my constant upgrading was anxiety driven--FOMO and all that stuff. But now that I've gotten my severe anxiety under control, I magically don't feel the need to constantly be brandishing the latest whatever.

Reactions: Broadus

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
The sad part is that most likely it means new macs aren’t coming until September or October. Unless they have a back to school event or something. Not sure what precedent there is for a major product release between WWDC and September/October events.

Or on Aug 4 like iMac 2020. :)

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Or on Aug 4 like iMac 2020. :)
That would be nice but Apple only updates products when it’s a small update (spec bump) by press release.

I can’t think of any product that got a major redesign that was put out via press release without an event.

But I hope as much as everyone else. I’d love a new Pro 14 inch or a colorful Air.

Reactions: Homy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
That would be nice but Apple only updates products when it’s a small update (spec bump) by press release.

I can’t think of any product that got a major redesign that was put out via press release without an event.

But I hope as much as everyone else. I’d love a new Pro 14 inch or a colorful Air.
AirPods Pro was a press release, wasn't it?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I was disappointed too, but they did go over a lot of stuff that matters to actual developers, not ignorant gawkers like me. I can’t fault them.

Also year 8 of predicting the next MacOS will be called “Redwood”

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I was disappointed too, but they did go over a lot of stuff that matters to actual developers, not ignorant gawkers like me. I can’t fault them.

Also year 8 of predicting the next MacOS will be called “Redwood”
Such a sensible take. Especially for this place.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
So what - 3-4 months? Is that really the end of the world?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I really hope so. There are so many bugs, and even more on the Apple Silicone platform.
Bugs are common on 100% of all platforms in the world. Especially when there's a major architecture change. The difference with Apple is that you have someone to call to get help with it and/or a return policy that makes actual sense.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

This is called the primacy and recency effects. It's purely psychological phenomena.

It's also why those "One More Things" Steve Jobs always did made the impact they did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.