Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesucculentcity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I am still using a 6S, but want to upgrade.

I've used the camera on the X, and it's more than adequate. I read that the X has wide angle + telephoto, and the 11 has ultra wide + wide.

I am primarily using this for every day stuff, but an emphasis on product photography (most of my subjects are 'still' and less than 1ft). Would i benefit more from the lens system on the X or the 11?

Last edited:

thesucculentcity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
You would benefit from a real point and shoot digital camera.

I had actually considered that. It will ultimately cost me $500-600 to upgrade my phone, but I'm not sure what camera + lens I could get for that price.

I do have access to DSLRs, but I generally want a better quality camera on my phone. I wasn't sure which would be best for taking photos of my products.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I had actually considered that. It will ultimately cost me $500-600 to upgrade my phone, but I'm not sure what camera + lens I could get for that price.

I do have access to DSLRs, but I generally want a better quality camera on my phone. I wasn't sure which would be best for taking photos of my products.

If you already have access to DSLRs then try and get the iPhone 11. You can trade in your 6s for $100 towards the 11 as well.

If your serious about selling your products you should at least consider an actual camera vs. using just your phone’s camera.

Just my opinion of course.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I just don’t like how Apple is using the term 4x zoom. When they say it the way they did I and other people I know thought it was +4x zoom from normal camera viewing mode (wide lens) when they are counting from the ultra wide lens which is a few -zooms. Basically the telephoto lens is still 2x zoom like last years iPhone.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I am still using a 6S, but want to upgrade.

I've used the camera on the X, and it's more than adequate. I read that the X has wide angle + telephoto, and the 11 has ultra wide + wide.

I am primarily using this for every day stuff, but an emphasis on product photography (most of my subjects are 'still' and less than 1ft). Would i benefit more from the lens system on the X or the 11?
You wouldn't want the ultra wide for product photos, it would really distort how it looks.

Reactions: thesucculentcity

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I just don’t like how Apple is using the term 4x zoom. When they say it the way they did I and other people I know thought it was +4x zoom from normal camera viewing mode (wide lens) when they are counting from the ultra wide lens which is a few -zooms. Basically the telephoto lens is still 2x zoom like last years iPhone.
I was also thinking about this today.

Misleading imo.

Apologies, OP. All I can say is the X camera’s fantastic for close subjects, but don’t know how it’d compare to the 11...

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Depending how serious you are in product photography i second to invest in a separate camera.

Depending on what the pictures should be, often it is necessary to have the same style, color and light conditions.

use tripod and external light. write down light and camera settings with the distance to the object

U can use a cheaper Sony mirrorless and even old mechanical but still good lenses via adapter for less than $400.

And forget to use a wide angle lens for product photography.
This is manly for landscape and architecture

thesucculentcity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I'm not using the camera in a professional capacity. If I were, then I would grab a DSLR.

I just want a better quality camera than what is on the 6S.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
I'm not using the camera in a professional capacity. If I were, then I would grab a DSLR.

I just want a better quality camera than what is on the 6S.

My wife's 7Plus' camera is decidedly better than my 6S, so I can only assume the 11 will be better yet... At least, that's what I'm hoping, as I just pushed "Buy" on the boring Space Gray model myself (Was really hoping they'd have blue again).

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Lots of ways to do this:

Used RX100 V or VI
Used Sony A6000 + SEL30M35

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.