Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Boot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hello everybody,

I try Xcode 9.4.1 on my Macbook Pro (early 2015). It is impossible to use it since the storyboard part is very very very slow.

The window report a bug, here is the beginning of the log :
Encountered an error communicating with Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool. (Failure reason: Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool failed to launch): Failed to boot device IBSimDeviceTypeiPad2x (9AC8FBE4-759C-48E7-BE60-7D69F0499D80, iOS 11.4, Shutdown)

I had no other version of Xcode before, I tried everything I could: I trashed the app, downloaded it again, restart, clean the project, etc etc etc. I really don't know what to do. I am open to all your suggestions, thank you very much for your help !

Fred

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Your laptop is more than powerful enough to run Xcode. Assuming you have don'e all the regular troubleshooting steps like rebooting and the like it sounds like there may be some form of problem with the storyboard file itself.
To test that you can just create a new project and see if the storyboard in there work. I assume it will. In which case you have to have a look at the storyboard you are trying to open, why it is is problematic.

Where is the storyboard from? An old project? A project dowloaded from the internet?

Storyboards are nice but they need to be kept small-ish. If they get too big then Xcode do struggle with them.

Fred Boot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hello,

No, unfortunately this happens with a completely new project. Very weird.

F.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
This problem is reported in some other forums. I haven't run into it but apparently it's some kind of permissions problem with some file required for the simulator. Various solutions are suggested. I suggest you search for "Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool failed to launch" If you can find a crash report or console output that could point to the problematic files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.