Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Am I missing something? Are the only difference between the HD and XDR displays;

2,000,000 vs 2,000,000 :1 Contrast Ratio
625 vs 800 Nits
3D vs Haptic Touch

There must be more to warrant the name

Reactions: compwiz1202

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Am I missing something? Are the only difference between the HD and XDR displays;

625 vs 800 Nits
3D vs Haptic Touch

More in the pockets of Apple. It's just a name and nothing more. Of course display mate will rank it 1.
Xdr to sound better than hdr maybe...

Reactions: SD449

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

625 vs 800 Nits
3D vs Haptic Touch

Agree. Was disappointed no increase in PPI. The brightness bump might be nice, but not if it still throttles the screen in the sun due to heat, which is pretty much the only place I need full brightness.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Agree. Was disappointed no increase in PPI. The brightness bump might be nice, but not if it still throttles the screen in the sun due to heat, which is pretty much the only place I need full brightness.

Ouch. That’s a thing? I wasn’t aware of that. I mean, that’s pretty much the only real practical use case for that. That’s so Apple-unlike, pushing features just for number crunching.

Hope they fixed that, since I intend to drop that extra money on the “Pro”

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ouch. That’s a thing? I wasn’t aware of that. I mean, that’s pretty much the only real practical use case for that. That’s so Apple-unlike, pushing features just for number crunching.

Hope they fixed that, since I intend to drop that extra money on the “Pro”

I went a long time thinking I had a defective screen. I would watch the brightness of my screen drop in increments. I checked all of my settings, made sure auto-brightness was turned off, did a factory reset, etc. Then finally it was discussed here and I realize it did indeed correlate to when my phone would get warm. I appreciate the safety measures for protecting the device but at the same time, it's at its most dim when I need it at its brightest.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Yep, completely an Apple branding for advertising. Other than more nits it is essentially the same screen as last year. No new innovation here to make it better than the current XS screens.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Yep, completely an Apple branding for advertising. Other than more nits it is essentially the same screen as last year. No new innovation here to make it better than the current XS screens.

Erm.. not at all. The extra brightness, IF not subject to the aforementioned overheating, definitely is an advantage outdoors. Especially when used as a viewfinder. Also, the contrast ratio doubled, which theoretically is a huge improvement. I would argue, that this will give you more usable improvements than a 120hz screen, which has no practical applications on an iPhone, as can be seen on the iPad, where it primarily shines as a boost to the pen feedback while drawing (yes i own an iPad Pro, yes i love the promotion but beyond the Apple Pencil it’s just a gimmick)

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Erm.. not at all. The extra brightness, IF not subject to the aforementioned overheating, definitely is an advantage outdoors. Especially when used as a viewfinder. Also, the contrast ratio doubled, which theoretically is a huge improvement. I would argue, that this will give you more usable improvements than a 120hz screen, which has no practical applications on an iPhone, as can be seen on the iPad, where it primarily shines as a boost to the pen feedback while drawing.
I actually said the brightness does help, but again that’s based on the user. I live in Texas, and my iPhone X is still useable enough with the brightness and contrast it has (of course excluded the overheating adjustments).

That said I still think it’s a nominal upgrade to give it an “XDR” label which is what this discussion is really about. Changing the screen tech name to XDR, to match the name used on an unreleased Mac Pro monitor with a far different screen tech is entirely misleading and just a marketing ploy. I will still argue that in day to day users, most users won’t see the difference from an XDR and an older XS screen in an iPhone.

Reactions: SD449 and eulslix

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Super Retina XDR display boasts not one but two new peaks of brightness and understands when to use them. It hits up to 800 nits when you’re out in the sun — great for shooting and making selects on the go — and up to 1200 nits when you’re viewing extreme dynamic range content. It’s like having a Pro Display XDR on your iPhone.

-
Apple

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
I actually said the brightness does help, but again that’s based on the user. I live in Texas, and my iPhone X is still useable enough with the brightness and contrast it has (of course excluded the overheating adjustments).

That said I still think it’s a nominal upgrade to give it an “XDR” label which is what this discussion is really about. Changing the screen tech name to XDR, to match the name used on an unreleased Mac Pro monitor with a far different screen tech is entirely misleading and just a marketing ploy. I will still argue that in day to day users, most users won’t see the difference from an XDR and an older XS screen in an iPhone.

Not sure about the xs Part, but agree otherwise. The xdr branding certainly is lackluster

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Maybe, the PWM was tweaked so people won't have eyestrain. That would be something.
Otherwise its just ******** marketing name :(

625 vs 800 Nits
3D vs Haptic Touch

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

625 vs 800 Nits
3D vs Haptic Touch

Marketing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.