Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you willing to abandon macOS for W10 for this laptop?

• Yes, i hate Apple strategy and price becomes insane

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • yes, W10 isn't bad OS at all, i might give a chance

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Perhaps, this is really interesting laptop but i m not planning to leave Apple for now

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • No, thanks, macOS forever

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • No, i am Apple hardcore fanboy, i own every Apple stuff from day one, no Apple logo, no purchase

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_mi_note...or_that_wont_leave_you_wanting-blog-19632.php

gsmarena_005.jpg

Mi_Notebook_Air_02.0.jpg

Mi_Notebook_Air_04.0.jpg

Wow it seems like Xiaomi Mi Note Air goes into Macbook territory
I have Macbook 12 which is very expensive and unique usb port, this Xiaomi laptop starts from 750$ with much more powerful cpu, dedicated graphic card (940m), more usb ports, IPS panel (love it haha)...
It looks like a decent alternative
What do you think?
Are you willing to abandon macOS for W10 and this laptop?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What do you think?

Heck no. You couldn't pay me to use W10 as my daily driver.

If I was to go for any machine that ran Windows and couldn't pick a Mac, Xiaomi would be one of the last manufacturers I would consider buying from.

1) Support
2) Repairs/leadtime
3) Availability/cost of parts

I've seen people sink thousands of pounds into Windows laptops, but the support is atrocious. Take ACER for example. They'll need to get an entire laptop collected and take 2 weeks to sort it, even if there's just an issue with the charger. They'd flat out refuse to just ship out a charger.

Lenovo don't cover dead pixels, even if it's straight out the box. HPs are utter junk and they'll do everything in their power to either not collect the machine, or refuse to repair it. I could go on all day.

God knows what you'd have to deal with if a Xiaomi goes wrong.

Reactions: Rok73 and old-wiz

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
You may know the ''risk'' of picking Xiaomi products, that means all criteria you pointed out
I am definitely interested, 700$, price is hell good

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I don't know about you, but I have trust issues. I wouldn't buy this over a MacBook Air, even if it is cheaper. This thing looks good, but I feel suspicious anyway.

Reactions: old-wiz

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I wouldn't call it as suspicious, i never had a chance to get a Xiaomi product in my hands, but it meets some success, many users seems to be happy with their product

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The point is that this is a Windows machine. So I think the first question is "do I want to switch to Windows"? If yes, then there are probably a number of different computers you might consider.

Personally… not interested. I still have a lot of old Mac software that would be too expensive to replace. I have a Windows desktop and that's all I need for the few specialized programs I run.

My 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA still meets all my needs anyway.

Reactions: Rok73 and sracer

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I always have an eye for an exit strategy for Apple computers. But so far nothing has been very compelling.

Primary because I love Logic Pro X too much and its crazy amount of value. It's a sneaky strategy, selling compelling software at a low price to tie you to the hardware... but it hooked me in. But the fact that my Macs have been hassle free, reliable and capable has kept me.

I sometimes do consider alternatives though. And this looks good enough. But then I remember the bloatware, and having to deal with ASIO4ALL drivers, and I would have to buy a copy of Cubase... to replace using Logic Pro... and ugh just not worth the hassle. I'll just pay the apple tax...

Although ask me again when my MacBook Air is 5 years old... who knows what might happen. Mac computers could be re-branded as even more of a fashion accessory.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why it would'not run Linux?

No reason why it wouldn't run it, but drivers may mean nothing would work as you'd expect it to. Depends on whether they use generic hardware (hardware, keyboard, LCD) that would just work with a bit of tweaking. If their hardware is bespoke, they'd need to release signed drivers for Linux.

It may run OSX as hackintosh?

You'd have even more of an issue with driver/hardware signing than on Linux; that is, if you can get OS X installed at all. For one, the trackpad just wouldn't work.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Your poll options are ridiculous, so I didn't vote.

I don't buy Chinese copycat hardware. It's cheap for a reason.

Additionally, I don't only buy OSX machines nor do I only purchase products with Apple stickers.

Last edited:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
People could prefer OSX over Linux/Windows but myself, i am not married to Apple too, i am open to see what alternative would offer
I wouldn't make a judgement about Xiaomi as cheap chinese, Apple products are assembled in China, its made in China
The difference is Apple making maximum profit, the production cost is around similar

Last edited by a moderator:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
People could prefer OSX over Linux/Windows but myself, i am not married to Apple too, i am open to see what alternative would offer
I wouldn't make a judgement about Xiaomi as cheap chinese, Apple products are assembled in China, its made in China
The difference is Apple making maximum profit, the production cost is around similar
Ah, ad hominem attacks. Classy.

For your sake, I hope you're capable of realizing that there's a difference between a Chinese knock-off and manufacturered in China.

Also, here's some light reading for your enjoyment:
http://www.businessinsider.com/xiao...e-by-side-iphone-mi-note-copycat-theft-2015-4

http://www.cultofandroid.com/66569/xiaomi-dont-copy-apple/

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/27/technology/xiaomi-notebook-air-apple-copycat/

http://m.scmp.com/tech/social-gadge...d-chinas-apple-xiaomi-gets-taste-own-medicine

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

When I buy a Mac, the difference is that I can walk into my local Best Buy or Apple Store and get the computer exchanged on the spot if there's a problem, or just give it back to them if I don't like it. When you buy a computer you are also buying the company that made it.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Price is very attractive on these laptops. The way El Capitan is going, W10 might be a relief. I find W10 a real PIA to deal with, but El Capitan is no bundle of joy either. I'd like to see one of these laptops, key feel is critical for me and I'm not happy with the new Macbook keyboard at all.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Ah, ad hominem attacks. Classy.

For your sake, I hope you're capable of realizing that there's a difference between a Chinese knock-off and manufacturered in China.

Also, here's some light reading for your enjoyment:
http://www.businessinsider.com/xiao...e-by-side-iphone-mi-note-copycat-theft-2015-4

http://www.cultofandroid.com/66569/xiaomi-dont-copy-apple/

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/27/technology/xiaomi-notebook-air-apple-copycat/

http://m.scmp.com/tech/social-gadge...d-chinas-apple-xiaomi-gets-taste-own-medicine
For you sake, Macbook design isnt registered as patent
You are judging product because of ressemblance with Apple (in fact it also shares Surface Book design)
I dont know where you are from but from Asia, copying doesnt have similar meaning
Stop calling them a copycat, its more like a inspiration
I like Apple and open to alternative, i am not judging them until i have products on my hands, see the difference with your approach

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For you sake, Macbook design isnt registered as patent
You are judging product because of ressemblance with Apple (in fact it also shares Surface Book design)
I dont know where you are from but from Asia, copying doesnt have similar meaning
Stop calling them a copycat, its more like a inspiration
I like Apple and open to alternative, i am not judging them until i have products on my hands, see the difference with your approach
"For my sake"? How's that exactly?

I'm from the U.S., but I've been to Asia several time and have taught thousands of Asian students for going on 10 years now, so I'd like to think I'm fairly familiar with Xiaomi's...how did you put it..."inspiration" of Apple.

I've actually given failing marks to dozens of papers and presentations because Asian students got "inspiration" from the Internet or their friends.

You see the thing about getting "inspiration" from others is that you don't have to put forth any of the investment. You don't have to invest the time, energy, R&D, etc. nexessary to produce the product. I.e. Just putting your name on it doesn't make it yours. Hence, the failure both of my students and of Xiaomi.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Yes, to quote one of the forum poll questions, Apple strategy and price certainly is insane and insane at most times to be frank.

I really like that there is no logo on these devices. Actually, if Apple removed its logo from devices, its brand would become rather more prestigious overnight. But it doesn't run MacOS or iOS, so its a deal breaker. I left Windows many many years ago. Anyone got a hack to run MacOS on it with Xcode? If so, then I'll be an Xiaomi customer to broaden my device mix.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
When I buy a Mac, the difference is that I can walk into my local Best Buy or Apple Store and get the computer exchanged on the spot if there's a problem, or just give it back to them if I don't like it. When you buy a computer you are also buying the company that made it.
I agree but it costs almost twice cheaper, not every laptop will meet issues, you must know customer/exchange support isnt free at all (at the end its included within cost), its a safe warranty but the insane price really make the decision to switch, more easier nowadays
"For my sake"? How's that exactly?

I'm from the U.S., but I've been to Asia several time and have taught thousands of Asian students for going on 10 years now, so I'd like to think I'm fairly familiar with Xiaomi's...how did you put it..."inspiration" of Apple.

I've actually given failing marks to dozens of papers and presentations because Asian students got "inspiration" from the Internet or their friends.

You see the thing about getting "inspiration" from others is that you don't have to put forth any of the investment. You don't have to invest the time, energy, R&D, etc. nexessary to produce the product. I.e. Just putting your name on it doesn't make it yours. Hence, the failure both of my students and of Xiaomi.
Your comparison with students makes no sense, its about high tech products and they eventually all ''copy'' each other
Design isnt patent unless you makes a 100% copy which is illegal
e.g Zenbook, HP spectre...
Perhaps it shares similar design but its fundamentally different devices, Macbook run on OSX, Xiaomi Notebook Air W10, its huge difference

Reactions: grahamperrin

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I agree but it costs almost twice cheaper, not every laptop will meet issues, you must know customer/exchange support isnt free at all (at the end its included within cost), its a safe warranty but the insane price really make the decision to switch, more easier nowadays

Your comparison with students makes no sense, its about high tech products and they eventually all ''copy'' each other
Design isnt patent unless you makes a 100% copy which is illegal
e.g Zenbook, HP spectre...
Perhaps it shares similar design but its fundamentally different devices, Macbook run on OSX, Xiaomi Notebook Air W10, its huge difference
It's your justifications and excuses, in fact, that don't hold up.

decio

Suspended
Jun 17, 2016
Great looking machine, if it holds up in tests it can give Apple a run for its money!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I will consider it seriously, when it has fully support of hackintosh. Xiaomi quality is quite good - at least in my experience.

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_mi_note...or_that_wont_leave_you_wanting-blog-19632.php

gsmarena_005.jpg

Mi_Notebook_Air_02.0.jpg

Mi_Notebook_Air_04.0.jpg

Wow it seems like Xiaomi Mi Note Air goes into Macbook territory
I have Macbook 12 which is very expensive and unique usb port, this Xiaomi laptop starts from 750$ with much more powerful cpu, dedicated graphic card (940m), more usb ports, IPS panel (love it haha)...
What do you think?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I'd consider a Xiaomi notebook with an alternative operating system – neither macOS nor Windows.

@bubulol https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23168553 at the top of the window you'll see a cog icon for the thread tools menu, you can use that menu to edit the title of the topic; the product name is Mi Notebook Air (not Mi Note Air).

… from Asia, copying doesnt have similar meaning …

… marks to dozens of papers and presentations because Asian students got "inspiration" from the Internet or their friends. …

I think that misses the point.

… the thing about getting "inspiration" from others is that you don't have to put forth any of the investment. You don't have to invest the time, energy, R&D, etc. nexessary to produce the product. I.e. Just putting your name on it doesn't make it yours. Hence, the failure both of my students and …

… with respect, that certainly misses some points. The literature that I require is not readily available, I'd like to follow up later in the main discussion, https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23168351

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.