Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adoeete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Ok. I'm actually having a hard time because of the XR's color shifting display and blurry fonts. It's definitely better than XS or XS MAX's color shifting, but XR does have color shifting issue. It makes my vision fuzzy, because sometimes some portion of the display is darker than the other or some are warmer or colder and on and on. It is subtle, so it's more problematic.

This is my second XR and I'm just starting to realize that every XR might have the same issue. I noticed that all the XR in the Apple store have the same issue with the different degrees. Personally, this condition makes me unable to read the text on the device. It's too distracting to the point of causing a fuzziness in my vision and also makes the fonts look blurry. I'm not exaggerating. I blamed it for low resolution of 326 ppi for long time until i compare it to the iPhone 8(not even 8+), and iPhone 8's display was like a clean paper with dark black ink on them.

I'm torn apart because I really like this phone. its speaker quality is like a macbook level(favorite part), the camera is great, new face id is seamless and the size is perfect in my hand. Coming from SE, 6.1 screen is like heaven... But the reading experience is like hell.
Does anyone have the same issue at all?

Last edited:

Yogosans14

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina
Same I came from a 8+ to XR and the 8+ had a superior display. This is going back for the XS ASAP. The blurry fonts/text is so dissaponitjng to me but everything else’s about this phone is awesome. Oh well you get what you pay for I’ve learned my lesson only going for the premium OLED models from now on.

Reactions: Adoeete

Adoeete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Could it be FaceiD that’s causing this discomfort in your eyes?
Hm.. haven’t thought about that. If the Faceid detection beam is always on, even when we are web browsing, it could be the one of the reason. But my main discomfort comes from the weird display color variation all over the place. Slight tilting of a device makes all sort of subtle color and brightness changes. Frustrating.

Last edited:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Hm.. haven’t thought about that. If the Faceid detection beam is always on, even when we are web browsing, it could be the one of the reason. But my main discomfort comes from the weird display color variation all over the place. Slight tilting of a device makes all sort of subtle color and brightness changes. Frustrating.

You may want to swap it out, because I don't see color variations when I slightly tilt my screen like that. I don't know maybe I am just one of those folks that look at my phone straight on all the time so I never noticed it.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Going back to X
I thought I am ok with the screen but color just not as vibrant
A little wash out
If I am not comparing I guess I will get used to it but the missing portrait mode on objects kill the deal for me

Adoeete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
You may want to swap it out, because I don't see color variations when I slightly tilt my screen like that. I don't know maybe I am just one of those folks that look at my phone straight on all the time so I never noticed it.
I'm planning to swap it. If it fails me again, i'm just gonna settle for 8.

Reactions: OTACORB

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Have you looked at a few display units?

It's likely panel lottery like every
Other iPhone

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just for a test to rule out Face ID. Switch the display to grayscale (Accessibility) and read a whole bunch of text. See if that fixed it. If it does, get rid of the XR & get an 8.

Reactions: Adoeete

Adoeete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Just for a test to rule out Face ID. Switch the display to grayscale (Accessibility) and read a whole bunch of text. See if that fixed it. If it does, get rid of the XR & get an 8.
That’s a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.