Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xserveLuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Graz, Austria / Österreich
Hi gus,
I've the following problem with my Xserve 2,1 fan array.
I have tried a lot but no changes. (swapped the fans in the array, ...)
I think the control or maby the sensor is damaged. Changing the rpm down with the fan control does not work :-(.
Before it worked all fine.

thanks for solutions.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
My 2008 has a similar problem, one of the IN fans reports as stopped making all other fans run at 100% which is too loud to use.

I can see the fan spinning normally in the few seconds at power on before the issue kicks in, so I think its the sensor on the fan unit itself.

My plan is to replace the fan unit at some point, I can't see the logic board having sensors for the individual fans so I'm hoping the fault is on the fan units PCB somewhere.

So, I'd say look on eBay for a cheap replacement unit, they're quite rare though especially at sensible prices.

xserveLuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
My 2008 has a similar problem, one of the IN fans reports as stopped making all other fans run at 100% which is too loud to use.

I can see the fan spinning normally in the few seconds at power on before the issue kicks in, so I think its the sensor on the fan unit itself.

My plan is to replace the fan unit at some point, I can't see the logic board having sensors for the individual fans so I'm hoping the fault is on the fan units PCB somewhere.

So, I'd say look on eBay for a cheap replacement unit, they're quite rare though especially at sensible prices.

Hi, I've had the same idea but the shipping is a bit too expensive to me in Austria £ 25 ! (£ 8 in the UK) and £ 30 for the unit. :-(
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SEALE...522639?hash=item2376c5b08f:g:WZoAAOSwHMJYKH6I

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
When moving the fan, does the fault follow the fan or stay in one slot?

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Bit of an update that may help the OP...

I got hold of a replacement fan unit and it has fixed my problem, proving that all fan monitoring is done on the unit itself.

xserveLuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
A little bit late but I do still have the problem. Fans working correct - swapped them in the array. May be the Logic Board of the Array or an issue with installing a second CPU in the original single CPU Xserve with empty second socket?! Any ideas? I've only put it in an started up, all working fine. Or must I do any other steps on the Xserve Mainboard?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-06 um 19.13.33.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-06 um 19.13.33.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 194
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.