Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I've installed the Camera Raw 4.4.1 plugin, but still can't get Photoshop to open the .cr2 files. It opens other raw formats, so the installation doesn't seem to be messed up. Adobe's support page indicated that I should be able to open the XSi raws in photoshop with the updated camera raw, but photoshop says it can't recognize the specified file format. Anybody else got XSi (450D in other regions) raws opening in PS?

I also tried installing Canon's utilities, but DPP crashes every time it tries to open any image.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It doesn't work for me either. I don't see why an Apple update would have any effect on an Adobe program, though. All of the Apple apps open the .CR2 files now, of course.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I just got off the phone with adobe support, and found out that my raw images are only 3 MB in size. They have the .cr2 extension, but are obviously not raw, as raw images should be closer to 14 MB. I'm going to have to do some testing to see what's going on with my camera, but I don't think this is photoshop's fault. The pictures were shot in raw+jpeg mode, so I'm going to check the jpegs as well. Updates when I know more.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know if the XSi has this (I have a 40D and it does), but are you shooting in sRAW? I don't know if that would even be a problem compared to regular RAW or not, but that could explain your smaller file size.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
A little more testing indicates that Apple's Image Capture and Adobe Bridge don't properly download the raw files. The Canon Utilities seem to download the full files off the camera.

Edit: So my final conclusion is that Apple's Image Capture and Adobe Bridge do not correctly handle downloading images from the camera when shooting in raw+jpeg mode. If shooting in raw only, those applications will download the full raw photo. Canon's EOS Utilities properly downloads the raw files whether shot in raw+jpeg or raw only.

In any case, Photoshop doesn't like opening files that masquerade as raws while actually containing something else.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I would guess that they're different problems. Have you verified that you have the Camera Raw 4.4.1 plugin installed? Go to the Photoshop menu, select About Plug-in and then choose Camera Raw. It should say 4.4.1. If not, it probably won't open your files. Other than that, I'm not sure what could be causing your problem.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I would guess that they're different problems. Have you verified that you have the Camera Raw 4.4.1 plugin installed? Go to the Photoshop menu, select About Plug-in and then choose Camera Raw. It should say 4.4.1. If not, it probably won't open your files. Other than that, I'm not sure what could be causing your problem.

Yup, you were right! I fixed it, and now the CR2 files open in CS3 just fine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.