Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I’m reaching the end of my rope with Google solutions that are vaguely similar to the issue I’m having.

I’m trying to set up my new TCL 55P607 TV with my Yamaha RX-V377 receiver using strictly HDMI.
  • Currently, I can get video, and I can get the receiver controls to show up on the TV screen, but I have no audio.
  • Current setup: Satellite box —> V377 HDMI input/HDMI ARC output —> TV input
I THINK the issue is audio settings with the receiver, but I’ve tried so many different variations over so many hours that I’m somewhere between flabbergasted, flummoxed, and finished.

Any ideas? Anyone have anything close to this or experience with Yamaha receivers?

TIA,
Will

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Do audio and video work with the satellite box plugged directly into the TCL TV? Do you have another TV that you can hook up to the receiver to see if you get audio and video to it?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Do audio and video work with the satellite box plugged directly into the TCL TV? Do you have another TV that you can hook up to the receiver to see if you get audio and video to it?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, when I connect satellite receiver directly to the TV via HDMI, I get both video & audio. This is why I think it’s most likely a setting on the receiver. (A setting or a input/output issue). I just don’t know what! :(:mad::confused:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Do you get no audio through the receiver's speakers AND the television's?
Good question. I actually don’t have receiver speakers set up. For this room, I’m going with a sound bar, and I’m just going to run HDMI from TV out into it.

I was going to cross that hurdle when I go there. Just trying to get audio to TV first.

Thanks again

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
My guess is that the receiver is thinking it is handling both audio and video, so it isn't sending audio to the television. And I don't even know if you can avoid that.

Why have things hooked to the receiver if it is just passing the audio AND video to the television? Too many inputs for the TV? TV hung in a place where you can't get everything directly connected in a way that isn't ugly? Just curious what your rationale is.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My guess is that the receiver is thinking it is handling both audio and video, so it isn't sending audio to the television. And I don't even know if you can avoid that.

Why have things hooked to the receiver if it is just passing the audio AND video to the television? Too many inputs for the TV? TV hung in a place where you can't get everything directly connected in a way that isn't ugly? Just curious what your rationale is.

Wall mounting this TV & sound bar and running cables through wall. I already have HDMI cables, but the receiver only has 1 HDMI out, so I have this going to TV & TV going to sound bar.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Does the receiver have an optical out you could run separately to the soundbar? Probably not, or there's no way to get the optical cable to the soundbar easily. Just throwing out ideas.

Reactions: willmtaylor

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yep, very likely as that's the default behavior (not just in Yamaha products), 30 seconds of Google found this:

Yes, All Yamaha HDMI compatible AV receivers can pass through HDMI audio signals. The factory default option allows the receiver to send audio signals coming through the HDMI inputs to the speaker terminals of the receiver. (With the exception of the HTR-6050, HTR-6130,HTR-6230, RX-V363 and the RX-V365 which only support HDMI audio video pass through.) The HDMIinputs only pass the video signal to the TV monitor. The Other option can be selected in HDMI SET in the receivers Manual Setup Menu. This will enable the receiver to pass the audio signal straight through to the TV. Please refer to the owners manual for specific details regarding the HDMI settings.

Not the specific model in question but does confirm your assumption :)

Side note: Yamaha makes a terrific product!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@tobefirst & @D.T. - thanks for the replies and the bigger picture perspective. This might help me navigate the menus and get the settings where I need them. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Side note: Yamaha makes a terrific product!

I do like my Yamaha receiver, though I can't say I'm super picky. I've been tempted to pick up one or more of their Sonos-like speakers for the house, but haven't done so yet.

@tobefirst & @D.T. - thanks for the replies and the bigger picture perspective. This might help me navigate the menus and get the settings where I need them. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Happy to help in any way I can. Let us know if you're able to get everything up and running.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I still don't understand why you are using a receiver at all. They are generally for running speakers and acting as an HDMI switcher, but you don't need either. So you have a large, expensive, hot, power-hungry device doing nothing at all, and its adding to the box, wire, and remote control clutter.

Just hook up the satellite box to the TV and use audio out on the TV to the sound bar. Use HDMI ARC out, optical, or coax for a surround sound bar, or use stereo analog out for a stereo sound bar.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I still don't understand why you are using a receiver at all. They are generally for running speakers and acting as an HDMI switcher, but you don't need either. So you have a large, expensive, hot, power-hungry device doing nothing at all, and its adding to the box, wire, and remote control clutter.

Just hook up the satellite box to the TV and use audio out on the TV to the sound bar. Use HDMI ARC out, optical, or coax for a surround sound bar, or use stereo analog out for a stereo sound bar.
It’s for connecting the Xbox, Wii, N64, etc. b/c the TV will be wall mounted.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I do like my Yamaha receiver, though I can't say I'm super picky. I've been tempted to pick up one or more of their Sonos-like speakers for the house, but haven't done so yet.

I had a decent amount of Yamaha gear over the years, just prior to our current main TV Yamaha AVR we had a Pioneer, but when it crapped out I went back to Yamaha. Heck, I've got a 20 year old Yamaha pre/amp I used for my office audio gear (did, doing something different this year :))

It’s for connecting the Xbox, Wii, N64, etc. b/c the TV will be wall mounted.

Yeah, you know, after trying some standalone HDMI switchers, I found it's better just to use an AVR, even if it's a cheaper model, they just work better. Plus you get the added perks of being able to drive speakers (if/when that becomes an option), having a better UI/remote option (assuming everything/ARC works like it should).

Speaking of ARC ...

So I moved the XB1S down from the playroom into the main TV room, hooked it up to the Yamaha AVR - slickest thing, the device (i.e., the XB), actually _updated_ the label on the input I used to indicate XBOX ONE (I didn't realize there was some kind of device ID sent as part of the handshake). It was a disable HDMI port that had a redundant APPLE TV label, I fired up the remote app to change the label ... and it was already updated. Neat, spooky.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Happy to help in any way I can. Let us know if you're able to get everything up and running.
Everyone is now running (but not yet up).
  1. Dish guy happened to be coming by to check out a separate issue yesterday, so I asked him if he could spare some coax cable--this allowed me to use a run of it instead of HDMI, so I could put my satellite receiver in the bedroom instead of this room.
  2. Instead of running TV audio through receiver and then to sound bar, I decided to just bite the bullet and us optical audio from TV directly to sound bar
  3. I found ONE STUPID SETTING which MAGICALLY made glorious sound emanate from the speakers. In the Yamaha AVR's configuration settings, I had to turn the HDMI control OFF! Once I did that, BOOM! It worked!

Thanks to all for your help. Now to take pics of set up, disassemble, and then get mounted on wall. Wish me luck.

Reactions: ActionableMango

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Room not finished yet, but TV & sound bar up with receiver, satellite box, and Xbox to be hidden/on furniture to left.

4F277626-09A6-479F-8EBC-8D94901F3387.jpeg

Reactions: tobefirst ⚽️
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.