Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Saw a PhotoSmart M517 for sale on eBay for 50 bucks. Looked at the description and it read:

Up for grabs is a HP M517 Digital camera. I've had the camera since September and the motor that pushes and pulls the zoom lens out isn't working anymore. The LCD screen still works and everything else works. HP always gives a 1 year warranty and I've only had the camera for about 2 months so the warranty is still good. I'll send you all the paper work I can find, which will have the warranty/register card (unfilled out). The camera has no scratches and is in near mint condition. Camera comes with everything a new camera would except for wrist strap and USB cable (unless i find them) feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for looking.

Sounded like a sweet deal. So I got it. Impulse purchase? Hell yeah.

Question is, will HP take this broken camera if the form isn't filled out at a certain time? Can I stick it to the man somehow, if they refuse the late warranty form?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It's not 100% certain he won't be getting the proof of purchase. The item description says he'll receive "all the documentation he could find", though that does imply an escape route ("sorry, er, I couldn't find the receipt").

I once picked up a broken Sony digital camera at a garage sale for $25. It worked fine, actually, but the (RS-232!) connection cable was broken. Back in those days it was basically a video CCD with 640x480 resolution, i.e. about the same quality "digital pictures" as you'd get from a video camera or webcam. No memory cards, just internal memory. But this was also the days of the QuickTake and all, so this was still pretty cutting edge. The camera had the ability to transfer pics via IR, so I bought an IR dongle and was able to use it just fine. Sold it on eBay a few years later for something like $200!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Stick it on the roof of your house then hopefully those little flying robots from the film 'batteries not included' will see it and fix it for you. I did it with my old PC... they managed to make a doorstop out of it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
He said... "the motor that pushes and pulls the zoom lens out isn't working anymore."

What typically happens is that while the lens is extended it get bumped. and the track that the lens rides in is damaged and the lens is then stuck in that position. It could be a dead motor like he says but more likely its simply mechanically jammed and if you were able to free up the mechanism the motor would work fine.

Even if this guy gives you the receipt it will have his name on it and the warranty is almost certainly non-transferable But you can try.

If the problem is what I think then it is not covered under warranty in any case. This is most likely why th seller is selling this -- he dropped or bumped the camera while the lens was extended and jammed it up and found that the warranty does not cover accidents.

You best bet may be a local camera repair shop or even to try and free up the lens yourself Of if it works just use the camera as is. Use your feet as the zoom

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Sorry to say, as the poster above stated, with out a receipt from an authorized reseller - you are out of luck.

RMA customer service people CAN help you.

if they want to.

I know of no company (at least a HUGE one like HP) who wouldnt take this back if you only called and pestered and NOT say how you got it.

Only answer questions that matter, like how old is it, whats wrong with it etc. You dont need to say I got it broken on ebay and I dont have the reciept. You dont need to say YOU know/think whats wrong with it. All you need to say is this machine doesnt work right, theyll ask what doesnt work, you say the zoom doesnt move. Nothing more, nothing less.

If all else fails, say you wont ever purchase HP stuff again if this is how they treat their own products.

Its less than a year old, its broken, theyll fix it.

The fact YOU werent the one who bought it, is a loophole they hope YOU think they can use against you.

but in reality, the facts remain the same. Less than a year, broken, under warranty.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
RMA customer service people CAN help you.

if they want to.

I know of no company (at least a HUGE one like HP) who wouldnt take this back if you only called and pestered and NOT say how you got it.

Only answer questions that matter, like how old is it, whats wrong with it etc. You dont need to say I got it broken on ebay and I dont have the reciept. You dont need to say YOU know/think whats wrong with it. All you need to say is this machine doesnt work right, theyll ask what doesnt work, you say the zoom doesnt move. Nothing more, nothing less.

If all else fails, say you wont ever purchase HP stuff again if this is how they treat their own products.

Its less than a year old, its broken, theyll fix it.

The fact YOU werent the one who bought it, is a loophole they hope YOU think they can use against you.

but in reality, the facts remain the same. Less than a year, broken, under warranty.

I hope that you have had success with your above suggestions.

Based on my experience in working in a retail camera shop, many manufactures do require a valid receipt from an authorized reseller in order to get repairs done.

I know that this presents a sticky problem with gifts, but that is why many shops offer gift receipts.

YMMV depending on your states consumer laws,but many if not most manufacturers require a receipt in order to prevent fraud. Yes, in certain situations the manufacturer MAY provide warranty service for products that are under a year old (the length of most warranties) - but that is on a case by case basis.

Also keep in mind that many warranties only cover the original owner.

So, it may not be as cut and dry as you state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.