Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Boulder CO
To keep it short, Just gathered about $1000 for graduation and need a new camera. I would be nice to have a little leftover so i can outfit the camera with a bag, cards, flash, etc... I had both Cannon rentals at school and Nikon at work, so essentially i need a camera for my web business. I do enjoy photography as a hobby to so i would like a good camera.

Below is what i'm looking at and would appreciate some input:

Found a used D200 near by with a 50 f/1.8 (REALLY WANT THIS LENS) & Quantaray 70-300
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pho/1151665181.html

Found a refurbished d90 from Nikon for cheap... $780

A nikon D60 from Costco for $700
LINK

I also have found some good deals for the d60 through amazon (from reputable stores, would try a price match at Best Buy)

I AM OPEN TO OTHER POSSIBILITIES TOO, PLEASE HELP!

Oh FYI I love the 50mm f/1.8 lens, so I will be needing a low aperture lens for night shots but am unsure if i need to pay too much for an expensive body with the auto focus motor in body.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
if you like the 50 1.8 don't get a d40/60/5000. I would get a D80/90 and the 50, save whatever money you have left and keep looking for deals on any other lens that you might want.

wrkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Boulder CO
What about the D50, been reading a lot of great things about it for the money. What are the down falls of this camera?

srry for all the questions, just want to make the right decision and really trust everyone on this board.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I saw this but i guess i really don't know much about the d200. Any info on this? good camera or not? Auto focus motor in body?

The D200 is a very capable body with image quality similar to, but not quite at the D2x- in overall terms they're very similar, but the D2x has more resolution, which helps for crops, but hurts for low-light. The D90 is likely to have much better low light performance, being a newer sensor, but is less sealed and less "solid." Rain covers are cheap (I like the PhotoSharp ones.)

I had a D200 for about a month and a half relatively soon after they came out. I traded it (and a bunch of money) for a gently used D2x, mostly because I needed longer battery life in the field and liked the ergonomics of the 2x more, but I like big solid cameras.

Every DSLR except the D40, D40x, D60 and new D5000 have the AF-D screwdriver focus motor in the body. If you're not adverse to medium-sized lenses, I'd look at saving up for a 80-200 if you're going to get something that'll AF with AF-D lenses.

Personally, I'd go with the D90 out of the choices you've given.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
What about the D50, been reading a lot of great things about it for the money. What are the down falls of this camera?

srry for all the questions, just want to make the right decision and really trust everyone on this board.

It's getting old- it'll take good pictures, AF with AF-D lenses and it's relatively small if you think that's an advantage.

rauler83

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Quantaray lens

From what I have read and seen I would stay clear of Quntaray lenses. Also, even though you have been using Canon and Nikon you might consider Sony. When I started a friend sold me their old Minolta then I ended up with two new/used X700 bodies and did some semi professional work, weddings, postcard etc. I put the camera down 12 years ago then nearly 2 years ago I decided to get back into it. Having been a Minolta guy I looked around and found that Konica and Minolta joined forces then ended up buying a used 7D DSLR. Used that for a year and a half then decided to upgrade and bought a new Sony 700 body for $800 with some extras. The camera is so much bang for the buck, it is sturdy and with many features you don't find in that price range. In looking at the history of cameras you will find that Minolta developed the first auto focus, then Konica/Minolta developed anit shake and it is in the body so you want anti shake you don't have to spend nearly double for a lens with that feature. The 700 has 12.1 mega pixels with a huge LED. Here is what was said about the LED: X-Fine 3.0" LCD
One of the first things you notice about the A700 is the stunning 3.0 screen. With 922,000 (well, 640 x 480 x RGB) pixels it has a resolution of 267ppi, plus high contrast and a wide viewing angle. A new high resolution GUI takes full advantage of the new screen. At my age and in need of reading glasses this LED is a huge plus for me. Also, I have read where Nikon's two top model are now using this screen.

If you are looking to spend less you might consider the Sony A350. I saw one at Best Buy with a Sony lens marked down to $599 from $699.

Anyway, good luck in your quest and hope that you find what you are looking for and it works well for you.

rauler83

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I can give a thumbs up for the D200 as well - the price in the ad is very good (esp as you get the memory card too). I still use 2 of them. I've also used the D2x and the quality was very similar. The D200 is tough, the D2x was built like a tank! Above ISO800 noise really starts to creep in, so more modern cameras ie D90/D300 are definitely better in this field. The f1.8 50mm is a great lens. Never even heard of the other lens make, so would definitely be rather wary of it.

However, if you've got the cash for the D90, I'd go for that - it is a great camera, and the build quality, although not as out and out tough as the D200, is still excellent. However, you won't go wrong with D200 (esp. at that price) either.

wrkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Boulder CO
I can give a thumbs up for the D200 as well...

Well i just stopped by a couple places to see what they had. Costco had the D90 with the two basic VR lens Kit, 2gb card, and bag for $1300. They also had the d60 two lens kit for $700 A local camera shop had d200 in stock but i didn't get much of a chance to play with it as they were closing the store around me. I could defiantly tell that the d200 was very well built and felt nice in my hands.

I tell you what guys I am torn between these cameras. I know Sony and others are good brands but I feel if I start looking at those i'll confuse myself that much more. The new D90 is a little more than what i wanted to pay, if i go this route i'll get a refurbished one which is feasible. I was hoping to get in around the $800 price range but obviously don't want to get a d40/d60 that everyone rips on. I guess this is why i was wondering a d50/d80/d200 would be a better route.

OR am I asking for to much and looking to get a camera that's overkill. Maybe a D60 two lens kit with the new 35mm f/1.8 lens would be enough?!?!

:confused:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The new D90 is a little more than what i wanted to pay, if i go this route i'll get a refurbished one which is feasible. I was hoping to get in around the $800 price range but obviously don't want to get a d40/d60 that everyone rips on. I guess this is why i was wondering a d50/d80/d200 would be a better route.

OR am I asking for to much and looking to get a camera that's overkill. Maybe a D60 two lens kit with the new 35mm f/1.8 lens would be enough?!?!

:confused:

The D60 takes great pictures, the main issue is backwards lens compatibility if you want to be able to get used AF-D lenses- that's most of what you're paying for- so if you find some great deals at KEH on lenses, then the D90 makes up for the cost difference pretty quickly in terms of being able to use the cheaper 50mm, as well as some great f/2.8 glass. If you'll be happy with the newer lenses, then by all means the D60 takes great pictures too. I look at a camera body as a ~3yr investment and a camera lens as a 10+ year investment- if you like the kit lenses, then don't sweat the focus motor, if you think you want to get bargain glass like the 80-200/2.8, 35-70 AF-D or one of the fast 50's and have AF, then the D90 wins hands-down.

I know a few people with D40's and they're perfectly happy with the kit lenses and their shots. Some may get a newer AF-D compatible body, some could care less- it's really about how you see yourself moving forward and how quickly.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
If I were you I'd get a used D80 from KEH or craiglist (KEH has them for $550-600) and a 50 1.8 for ~$90ish from KEH.

That leaves you with $300 to get anything else, memory cards, bags, flash, another lens, etc. Personally, I wouldn't buy everything at once, I would wait to figure out what else you're looking to do (zoom lens, wide angle, etc.)

Reason why I'm suggesting this is I have a D40, love it, but want to purchase some more lenses but the AF-S ones are much more expensive than the older ones.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i'd take a d200 over any nikon right now. its lighter than the d300 of course and its not too powerful or under powered. just right in the middle

i say just get a d80/90 or find a d200 or sumtin and buy your 50mm. theres no need for a telephoto zoom lenses unles your into sports or you like to take super far landscape shots

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Everything Nikon has in the sub $1000 entry level category is an out dated piece of junk. Their only option is the D90. The D5000 (wtf?) could have been much better but suffers the same issues at the DXX series (lack of body AF). This is why I chose Canon over Nikon. Their XTi and XSi are still relevent and out do Nikon's comparable offerings, even their latest D5000.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was looking at the D40 and the D60 and they both lack DOF Preview, something I use a lot of...

Why did Nikon leave those out and companies such as Olympus, even on their basic dSLR's, leave them in?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I was looking at the D40 and the D60 and they both lack DOF Preview, something I use a lot of...

Why did Nikon leave those out and companies such as Olympus, even on their basic dSLR's, leave them in?

I think because with digital it's just as easy to shoot and chimp. I never use my DOF preview button.

wrkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Boulder CO
I think i'm starting to lean towards the D200. Great price from best buy and sounds like a solid camera. I'm meeting up with my uncle this week, he's in the cinematography biz so i'm hoping to get a lot of info out of him...

Anybody out there with the d200?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I think i'm starting to lean towards the D200. Great price from best buy and sounds like a solid camera. I'm meeting up with my uncle this week, he's in the cinematography biz so i'm hoping to get a lot of info out of him...

I know doylem uses one, seemingly exclusively.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003

I still shoot with D200. The only thing that I suffer from is a short battery life, which means I have to carry three batteries and change them out from time to time in a 10 hour day. I don't know if that is much a hinderance to you, but even for me during weddings, not much of a problem.

I think the MAJOR problem is it's poor ISO performance over 800 ISO. Other than that, it's ergonomically the best camera I have ever held.

BTW: The D200 does not have scene modes, just exposure modes. It's heavy at times. But it's solid. I shoot with 105mm 2.0 for portraits because of its near 135mm equivalance, the sweet spot of portrature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.