Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Well I bought the Canon T2i last week and its a good camera, but while shooting my daughter pageant (She won most Photogenic and Best Personally) btw. I noticed a women with a 50D or 7D shooting across the room. I felt a shame with my small T2i in my hands even my boy who came with us looked at me and was like man hide that lil camera (LMAO). I know the 7D also has video and that is big for me, but is it worth the upgrade over the T2i and over time (years) will the features grow with me. I play on starting a portrait business btw and even setting up a studio on our garage. I know the 7D also has wireless flash with is a big for me so I can try these creative shots. Can someone give me the pros and cons about this 7D and is paying the extra 900 dollars worth it? Before you guys say just buy a lens. I plan on using the extra 1000 on bestbuy since I have a store card and I need something to push my credit score and bestbuy prices also suck on lenses. I have 350 dollars + in bestbuy gift certificates/gift cards. Thanks in advance guys. To keep the T2i or to go with the BIG Dog!

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
The thing is, if you want to get really serious about photography, it would be probably only a matter of time before you started looking at full-frame cameras. The T2i has a good sensor in it and from the IQ perspective it is being compared to 7D. The latter is obviously a fantastic camera, especially well suited for sports or any action-type environments. If you want to do portraiture, I suggest you start with your T2i (which is capable of great photos) and when you're ready, move on to 5D Mk II or III.

Good luck!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I noticed a women with a 50D or 7D shooting across the room. I felt a shame with my small T2i in my hands even my boy who came with us looked at me and was like man hide that lil camera (LMAO).

This is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read on this forum.

Dude, if your self-esteem is that low, I really think the 900 bucks would be better spent on therapy rather than a more expensive camera body.

This is a good book.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I think if you can swing a lens purchase as well, then the 7D is justified. If you are on this forum regularly, it's almost inevitable that you will want to move beyond the Rebel. Save yourself some money and do it while you're still within your return period. The focus system alone is worth the cost of the upgrade IMHO.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Who cares what the "other" person is carrying, seriously... does the camera work for you? Have you found yourself needing to do things the camera isn't capable of? Perhaps spend more time learning the camera, and if you have $900 extra bucks to spend, get a really nice lens, or some strobes, or other lighting gear for your portrait work. You can always upgrade your body when you start making some money, or get really good at what you're doing.

Years ago, an infamous college photo editor once wrote on a darkroom wall his farewell message to his photo staff, "it ain't the size of your equipment, it's what you do with it..." Actually, :cool: I wrote "lens," not "equipment" on that wall, because I couldn't afford big glass and all the newpaper photogs from the big, well-funded schools had big glass...and matching egos to boot. I had to learn how to get the absolute most out of what I had, to understand the limitations of my gear, and how to compensate for that with knowing my gear so well, I seldom missed my shot. I won a few statewide photojournalism awards with my sports and news shots, and my staff won some as well, all while the big shots sat and watched us take home the honors... so take that anecdotally for what it's worth.

Don't let your equipment get in the way of your problem solving and creativity... it's all about you first, not the gear.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
This is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read on this forum.

Dude, if your self-esteem is that low, I really think the 900 bucks would be better spent on therapy rather than a more expensive camera body.

This is a good book.
lmao I know right

Who cares what the "other" person is carrying, seriously... does the camera work for you? Have you found yourself needing to do things the camera isn't capable of? Perhaps spend more time learning the camera, and if you have $900 extra bucks to spend, get a really nice lens, or some strobes, or other lighting gear for your portrait work. You can always upgrade your body when you start making some money, or get really good at what you're doing.

Years ago, an infamous college photo editor once wrote on a darkroom wall his farewell message to his photo staff, "it ain't the size of your equipment, it's what you do with it..." Actually, :cool: I wrote "lens," not "equipment" on that wall, because I couldn't afford big glass and all the newpaper photogs from the big, well-funded schools had big glass...and matching egos to boot. I had to learn how to get the absolute most out of what I had, to understand the limitations of my gear, and how to compensate for that with knowing my gear so well, I seldom missed my shot. I won a few statewide photojournalism awards with my sports and news shots, and my staff won some as well, all while the big shots sat and watched us take home the honors... so take that anecdotally for what it's worth.

Don't let your equipment get in the way of your problem solving and creativity... it's all about you first, not the gear.

This was a good read. Thanks for the information

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Well after going to bestbuy I decided to go with the 7D I enjoyed how big it felt in my hands. now its time to get on canon website and learn about the features :D

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Well after going to bestbuy I decided to go with the 7D I enjoyed how big it felt in my hands. now its time to get on canon website and learn about the features :D

Congrats! Be sure to report back with any interesting findings... and of course, some great pics... I'm just learning this beast of a camera myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.