Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
For a few years now, I've been taking some really great pictures with my Kodak DX7630 P&S. I think I'm ready to go DSLR. I have been looking at the Nikon D40 basically because it's the cheapest Nikon and I can get it with a 3 lense kit on eBay for like $725. I don't think I want to spend much more than that.

So for the new guy, do you think the D40 will blow me away or should I save a little more and get a D60? I think the D80 is overkill for me and a little out of my league. Remember, this is just a hobby and not a source of income.

So what should I do? Start of easy with the D40, or future proof myself a little bit with a 10MP D60?

Other than the higher MP rating on the D60, is there anything else that's a big deal? Also, I don't like the fact that the D40 can't do ISO100. Is that a big deal?

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
No to D40, D40x, or D60.

Go for a used D50, D70s, or a new D80.

Explain? :rolleyes:

I think you'd be fine with the D40 if that fits your budget. These people always nay-say the D40 and D60 because it won't Auto Focus non AF-S lenses. AF-S lenses are lenses with built in focusing motors, whereas non AF-S lenses require a motor drive to AF which the D40/60 lacks. This is irrelevant for most people that are new to DSLR's or just experimenting with the hobby due to the fact that more and more lenses are coming out in AF-S format, and the older ones are being left in the past. It's true that there are many great older lenses available at cheap prices that are non AF-S but you'd have to do some research on lenses and what you're looking into photographing to justify it.

The D40 will give you superb pictures that far exceed that of the D50 or D70/s in my opinion. I've had a D50 and I've seen the differences in images and a D40 is much nicer. ISO100 isn't that important, and the D40 is pretty capable at higher ISO's also. To address the MP question, you don't really need a 10MP sensor unless you plan on doing large prints or something.

Adrien

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I recently noticed that D60 comes with a 18-55 VR (Vibration Reduction) lens. That probably would make me prefer D60 over D40. In any case, I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Explain? :rolleyes:

I think you'd be fine with the D40 if that fits your budget. These people always nay-say the D40 and D60 because it won't Auto Focus non AF-S lenses. AF-S lenses are lenses with built in focusing motors, whereas non AF-S lenses require a motor drive to AF which the D40/60 lacks. This is irrelevant for most people that are new to DSLR's or just experimenting with the hobby due to the fact that more and more lenses are coming out in AF-S format, and the older ones are being left in the past. It's true that there are many great older lenses available at cheap prices that are non AF-S but you'd have to do some research on lenses and what you're looking into photographing to justify it.

The D40 will give you superb pictures that far exceed that of the D50 or D70/s in my opinion. I've had a D50 and I've seen the differences in images and a D40 is much nicer. ISO100 isn't that important, and the D40 is pretty capable at higher ISO's also. To address the MP question, you don't really need a 10MP sensor unless you plan on doing large prints or something.

Adrien

Great thanks. I didn't know about the non-AF-S lense thing. That should help. I think the D40 is more than capable for me, since all I've had up until now is a Kodak point and shoot. It's not like I'm working for National Geographic or anything.

Jan 30, 2006
trickling is the operative word.

Do you know how expensive is the "future"? Not forgetting repairs when out of warranty?

But buying used won't help much either. The camera won't last as long as a new one, and why buy old technology?

All new lenses from Nikon come with a 5 years warranty. If something is going to go wrong, it'll happen within those years.:)

What do you mean with more expensive "future"? Lenses are not getting more expensive with time. The consumer lenses from Nikon have a extremely accesible price and are superior to old lenses. The only lenses you might miss out with the D40/D60 is the primes, which eventually would go Af-S.

In my opinion a D40/D40x/D60 are all great cameras well worth the money. They are great for starting out in photography. Tho, if you plan in using only primes, maybe Cube suggestion is better, if not, you can't beat the D40 in affordability and quality.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
What 4 lenses? I can't find them listed anywhere.:eek:

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens
Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
Titanium 2X Telephoto Lens

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
All new lenses from Nikon come with a 5 years warranty. If something is going to go wrong, it'll happen within those years.:)

Wrong. I bought a 17-35 AF-S when it came out for about $2500 and it stopped working not long after the warranty was over, and it was lightly used.
Fixing it cost $800. What was I supposed to do? Throw it away?
One year later, it started making a loud whine. They wanted even more to fix it. No way this time. I'll just use it as is.

Non AF-S lenses don't have this failure mode.

Jan 30, 2006
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens
Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
Titanium 2X Telephoto Lens

The first two lenses are great for the value. They are not true AF-S, meaning you can't override the focus instantly. I have the 18-55 and it is a really nice lens to have.

The last two are not lenses, but converters.

It seems a good price for what you are getting. Not sure about the quality of the converters, nor the quality of the filters it includes. Check Amazon also, I trust them more with this than eBay. Also, make sure it includes Nikon warranty.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
The first two lenses are great for the value. They are not true AF-S, meaning you can't override the focus instantly. I have the 18-55 and it is a really nice lens to have.

The last two are not lenses, but converters.

It seems a good price for what you are getting. Not sure about the quality of the converters, nor the quality of the filters it includes. Check Amazon also, I trust them more with this than eBay. Also, make sure it includes Nikon warranty.

It says 100% USA new and includes the Nikon warranty.

dxpx

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
ive been on the fence about this same deal for quite sometime - but just this week i bought a D60 and couldnt be happier. as stated earlier, it does in fact come with an 18-55 VR (Vibration Reduction) lens which IMO is great for getting started.

ultimately, it comes down to how often are you going to use it, and more specifically - what are you going to use it for. to the OP, it sounds like we're in the same boat - just a hobby, nothing too serious. however, i have every intention to print my "prized" photos - and likely to the full degree. with that angle, i can easily enjoy the comfort of the 10.2 MP for my poster developments.

however, if printing isnt your thing [on a large scale that is] then you really cant go wrong with the D40 or D40x.

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
I own a D40 and i would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get into DSLR photography. Like previously stated, the difference between the MP's is not a big deal. I'm more than satisfied with the D40 :D

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Does this look like a good deal?. It's new in the box and comes with 4 lenses and a bunch of other stuff for $723.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140242827639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Look here for ShopSunshine's review at Reselleratings.com. Don't forget to scroll down and read customer reviews.

Also, make sure they're an authorized Nikon reseller, and that that super deal isn't for gray market equipment. You won't get a valid warranty in either of those two cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.