Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm new to DSLR and I have spent quite a bit of time the last month taking shots on my own and critiquing them myself. It would be great if I could find a group of people who are in a similar situation and meet with them weekly or biweekly to share pictures and go places together to take shots and discuss ideas. I'm having a hard time finding groups. I'm not looking for a class, just people who also want to learn and share ideas and grow together.

I've tried looking on craigslist, even posted my idea in the community area, but haven't had many responses. I've looked in my local paper, but nothing there. Should I try talking to someone at a local photo shop? I'm hoping for something similar to a Mac User group sorta thing. Any ideas as to where to look?

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
I don't know what DSLR you shoot, but the Nikonians discussion forums include one for "Travel and Getting Together" where folks from different regions of the world plan just such things.

http://www.nikonians.org

(you have to join to get into the forums, but the basic membership is free)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm new to DSLR and I have spent quite a bit of time the last month taking shots on my own and critiquing them myself. It would be great if I could find a group of people who are in a similar situation and meet with them weekly or biweekly to share pictures and go places together to take shots and discuss ideas. I'm having a hard time finding groups. I'm not looking for a class, just people who also want to learn and share ideas and grow together.

I've tried looking on craigslist, even posted my idea in the community area, but haven't had many responses. I've looked in my local paper, but nothing there. Should I try talking to someone at a local photo shop? I'm hoping for something similar to a Mac User group sorta thing. Any ideas as to where to look?

Camera stores, community colleges, and online photo forums are your best bets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.