Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designbuilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
Hi there, I would really appreciate a definitive answer. I have legacy software that needs to be run on Yosemite.

I am about to purchase a 3.7 quad core Mac ProME253LL/A (apple reseller, new) I'm not sure what it has been loaded with in regard to OS.

I understand that these machines were loaded initially with Mavericks.

I also understand that this machine will most probably be shipped with Sierra.

Is there anything that has been changed and or limited to stop me doing a clean install of Yosemite?

I have been told both:

1. I can run Yosemite by doing a clean install.

2. That it will not let me go backwards through the OS chain?

I would love to know if someone has done this specifically with the late 2013 Mac Pro ME253LL/A

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My understanding is that both firmware / hardware won't stop you running Yosemite. A clean install should be OK.

However, if you didn't own a copy of Yosemite, then it's hard to get a proper Yosemite installer.

Designbuilt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
My understanding is that both firmware / hardware won't stop you running Yosemite. A clean install should be OK.

However, if you didn't own a copy of Yosemite, then it's hard to get a proper Yosemite installer.

I do have a Yosemite download that I can make a boot disk from, should this work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.