Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R740

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
London
Hey all,

I've been an early adopter of the Apple Watch line - had the Series 0, Series 2, Series 3 and now have the Series 5. Very obviously my upgrade cycle has slowed down, but the issue is that I don't really feel like I'm using the watch at all. I tend to use the Watch only for Workouts and occasional Weather checks. Even though I also use Whoop for my health metrics tracking, I tend to use both devices during Workouts as I prefer seeing live stats on the Apple Watch.

With new watchOS dropping Series 5 support, I'm thinking whether to get Series 10 (or any earlier Series that supports new watchOS) or go back to classic watch. Keeping the Series 5 and continuing to use it is also an option.

I wanted to ask you, what do you use your Apple Watch for? I think it's a great device, and I feel like I'm missing out on some great use cases for it.

Thank you.

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
Sleep tracking, daily activity tracking, notifications.
These are my three main uses, with a few more probably sprinkled in somewhere. I do text a lot from it too.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Oh goodness, what don’t I use it for?

In no particular order:

1. Workouts & activity tracking, linked to work sponsored VirginPulse netting $750/yr HSA contribution
  2. remote lock/unlock/start for my truck with Directed app
  3. Siri to add stuff to grocery and todo lists
  4. Siri to add reminders to do something later
  5. Siri to start various timers when cooking
  6. Applepay
  7. See and acknowledge messages and certain emails
  8. Seeing who’s calling and decide if worth walking to other room to get my phone
  9. Calculator
  10. viewing and check off shopping lists while at stores
  11. Homekit controls by Siri and tapping - garage door, various light switches, scenes “Siri, we’re leaving” locks the door, sets alarm system, and sets thermostat to away.
  12. calendar / meeting notifications
  13. music controls - even when playing from phone I can adjust playback and volume
  14. Sleep tracking
  15. storing/playing podcasts while without my phone
  16. probably a bunch of other stuff I’d otherwise need my phone for - when my phone is somewhere else in the house or I’ve left it behind when taking the dog for a walk.
  17. oh and checking the time. :)
of course YMMV. the biggest thing for enhancing use of the watch is your phone not being always at hand. And that’ll depend on situation - dorm room or small studio apartment is gonna be different than a house with basement and yard for one example

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
  • picking up my iphone less because i can see the notification on my wrist and know if they're important
  • not carrying around my iphone at home
  • stand alerts
  • apple pay
  • fitness tracking
  • answering calls
  • setting reminders
  • setting timers

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
- Workout tracking (weight lifting and cardio)
- Daily activity tracking (steps, stand, etc.)
- Sleep tracking
- Health tracking (RHR, HR, SpO2, ECG, VO2max, etc.) / integration into Apple Health
- Weather check/alerts
- Apple Pay
- Checking calls/notifications
- Music (w/AirPods Pro)
- Setting timers
- Daily calendar (appointments, reminders, etc.)
- Alarm clock (wakes me silently without waking wife up)
- Checking navigation prompts when driving
- Golf watch (yardage, keeping score & stats on watch while playing)
- Monitor and operate home security system
- Remote control for iPhone camera

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
- Apple Pay
- HomeKit stuff
- Meetings/calendar
- Notifications

That’s enough for me.

drrich2

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
My wife has a wifi Series 9 and works in an inpatient mental health facility where they don't want staff having smart phones in obvious use out on the hall (makes patients jealous). The iPhone is in the nurses station and the watch on her wrist keeps her connected more of the time. And she needs basic watch functionality, too.

Our middle school has a cellular Series 9 and does not have an iPhone. I use the Find My app. to see where she's at what out and about, and I send a text to the watch when I park to pick her up from school, so she knows where in the parking lot to look for me. It also helps accustom her to using a smart watch, and I think there's value in teaching kids to use devices of a form that'll likely be prevalent through their adult lives (which is part of why she has an Echo Show 8 3rd generation, and her bedroom light fixture has 2 smart bulbs that via Alexa can be told to turn on & off, brighten or dim, or change color.

I have a cheap Casio non-smart watch because I just need the time, don't want to freak out if it gets scratched or damaged, and like the option to on rare occasion stick my hands in muddy or dirty environments without worrying about an expensive, potentially delicate electronic device on my wrist.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I’ve had every watch except 8 and 9. I’m trading in my 7 for a 10. I also have an Ultra.

• I hike 5 miles every morning so I use it for tracking that.
  • Notifications
  • Texting
  • Phone calls
  • remote camera shutter
  • calculator/tipping
  • Apple Pay
  • Monitoring health metrics. It was very helpful in comparing my pre-covid and post-covid workout metrics to see if my heart rate and respiration rate was back to pre-covid levels. Gave me confidence to get back to my daily activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.