Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hey, I was wondering what people used to carry their larger cameras around with (SLRs, bridge cameras, etc). I have a Fuji S6000 which is a bit larger than the compact point and shoots that I'm used to. But I'd like to be able to carry it around with me so I can still get that candid shot, just with a better camera =)

I'm looking for something that can carry:
• Camera with 28-300mm fixed lens
• 4 AA batteries (second set)
• Filters (58mm circular polarizer and starlight)
• Minitripod (Gorillapod or Ultrapod)
• Macbook (not all the time, but a compartment for it?)
• Misc cables (20 inch USB cable)

I'm looking at getting a shoulderbag, something that doesn't look too much like a purse or manbag, but more like a messenger bag. Something that offers protection from the elements (waterproof rain hood) and protects the camera (and laptop). Any good camera/laptop bags out there? I suppose I don't need a traditional camera bag as I don't have extra lens, but just something that will fit the camera with lens and protect it. It's very hard looking for bags (was at Ritz for an hour earlier today).

Here's the bag I've fallen in love with, the Domke F-803. Seems like it would fit everything quite nicely!
DMF803SD.jpg

Any suggestions would be great, and while the thread is here, post your bag! It'll be interesting to see what people use =)

-OA
OAPhotog.jpg

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Any suggestions would be great, and while the thread is here, post your bag! It'll be interesting to see what people use =)

I have two bags: a LowePro Nova 3 AW, and the LowePro Nature Trekker AW II. Which one I use on a given day depends on what I'm doing, and which lenses I'm taking with me.

My gear is the 20D with the battery grip; 50mm f/1.8; EF-S 17-85; EF 100-400mm; 580EX flash; a flash extender; the light sphere; a stack of Cokin filters; and a Manfrotto tripod.

Both bags take the 20D comfortably (the battery grip is why I upgraded from the Nova 2 to the Nova 3) with the 17-85mm. I can also fit in the 50mm and the 580EX into the Nova, but if I want the lightsphere, the 50mm has to go somewhere else (a pocket, usually, if I don't leave it at home). If I'm taking the flash, I'll leave the Cokin filters at home, usually.

The flash extender lives in the Nature Trekker, as does the 100-400mm; that's the bag I grab if I'm going to be using the 100-400. I can get pretty much everything I currently own (except the tripod) into that bag; the tripod lives happily on the outside, in the tripod holder. It'll also take the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, and the 100mm macro, when I eventually get them (which is fairly low on the list of priorities at the moment. Sigh. Anybody know this week's lottery numbers? :D)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Hey Abstract,

I've checked out Crumpler and Lowepro already, there are a few promising bags, but nothing definate yet. I'll take a look at the Tamrac bags now. =)

One of my biggest pet peeves is the bulkiness of traditional camera bags. I have a LowePro Trekker that is like wearing an oversized toaster on your back.. just awkward.

Which is why i bought an Osprey climbing/skiing pack and threw a lens pouch and one of those Lowepro hangs-right-over-your-beergut camera packs. I put my 70-200mm in its padded pouch at the bottom of the pack, and the Lowepro on top. Inside the Lowepro is my SB-800, my 10.5mm DX, and my D2X with the 17-55mm attached. In the top pouch I put my 105mm macro in a little padded case.

It's ergonomic, low profile, aaaaand I can ski or climb with it comfortably.

niiiiiiice.

Osprey 25+5: http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Vendor_Prod/ProdId/3682/RefId/29/RefType/Affiliate

Lowepro Toploader: http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Toploading/allWeather/Toploader_75_AW.aspx

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Domke

Domke is a great traditional choice, a little more $ than some, but wonderful: http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke

I've used a Domke J-3 for the past six or seven years.
700-J3B_Lg.jpg
It's a ballistic nylon bag - around $180 or so MSRP.

Domke also makes great canvas bags in addition to the ballistic nylon series - here's the same type of bag as mine in a canvas: http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-30S
700-30S_F-3X_SuperComp_Lg.jpg

I really enjoy the J-3, but not a viable choice for a laptop. Domke does make some bags for that purpose, but I haven't used them.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
One of my biggest pet peeves is the bulkiness of traditional camera bags. I have a LowePro Trekker that is like wearing an oversized toaster on your back.. just awkward.
That's why I'm looking for a messenger-type back, something that protects my camera and can be expanded for the Macbook or a 1" binder. The shoulderbag I have now won't expand enough to hold the camera, it looks very awkward. Hence the search for a new bag! I've been googling for an hour, looks like it's not an easy solution.

Domke is a great traditional choice, a little more $ than some, but wonderful: http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke
I'm looking at the Super-Deluxe Courier Bag right now, it looks very nice so far! Plenty of room for the camera, a lens, even a laptop. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep looking around.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I love my Domke. I have the F-3X. I can load the crap out of it easy. JJust this past spring, I loaded it with:

20D with Tamron 18-200
Hasselblad 500CM
40mm and 150mm lenses for Hassy
3 film backs
Memory cards
batteries
prism for hassy
handheld meter
25 rolls of film
and filters

Now, it was pretty unusable packed that tight, more for the traveling part, but after I got one with a lens rental, I loved it. It doesn't have the hard foam inserts so it can actually conform to your body a bit.

Oh and I have a lowepro b ackpack that is basically only used for storage. I put what i need in the domke and go.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Oh wait.....you don't own any other lenses? You only want to pack your camera with 28-200 lens attached to the camera body already, right? Do you ever plan on expanding? Would you be willing to go with a backpack?

Maybe you can rearrange the inside divider walls of the "Next Venue" bag so that you have 1 chamber to carry your camera, and the other to carry a MacBook with a sleeve or something. :confused:

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oh wait.....you don't own any other lenses? You only want to pack your camera with 28-200 lens attached to the camera body already, right? Do you ever plan on expanding? Would you be willing to go with a backpack?

I don't own any lenses, but I would like room for an additional lens down the line. (if I upgrade to a dSLR or even a Raynox converter lens) I can put other things in the space for now.

I'll take a look at Next Venue bag.

EDIT: I think I love the Domkas bags right now, they seem very nice. The F-803 is very earthy with the sand colored canvas and isn't too thick, plus it's just wide enough for the Macbook. Too bad it doesn't fit both the camera and the Macbook ... which the J-803 does but it's the usual black nylon. More practical, but a bit more ... harsh? These are my two favorites at the moment =)

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
I use a Crumpler Sticky Date for taking kit into work via motorbike. It's a bit bigger than you will need but I can testify to the robustness and water resistence of Crumpler bags. Look at the smaller Crumpler bags and you won't be disappointed.

I used to use a Billingham until it was stolen. Nice bag but it yells camera and it was also pretty heavy. These days I would rather carry something a little less bling and more multi purpose. I will get a smaller Crumpler at some stage.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Bag selection is one of those things that I hate doing by mail-order.

I had some challenges finding a bag that would swallow a 20D+1.4x+70-200L f/2.8IS all attached. Found that the Kenesis modular system would do it:

http://www.kgear.com/

I've found the Kenesis modular "belt" system to be very good for hiking with gear and having it more accessable than in a backpack type of system.

For also transporting a laptop, I picked up a Tamrac Cyberpack 9 last year. It works "great" in terms of it being well padded as well as big enough to pack in everything I want it to carry, but its really a bit too big/square/bulky - I use it pretty much as an aircraft carry-on bag for the photo gear and then unpack it when we're at our destination. Overall, my general "lesson learned" is to think twice about having a single bag that takes both the SLR and the laptop.

-hh

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I love my Crumpler 6 million dollar home :D Fits my Nikon D70s, extra lens, remote, iPod, and even my Panasonic GS500 :) plus a bunch of smaller accessories. The bag has been to Paris and various parts of the US, has not let me down. Even made it through areas where oversized bags aren't allowed so even though it is big it doesn't look that big... comfortable strap too.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And just some personal info that may or may not be relevent to you because you don't want a backpack, I'm bringing my Crumpler Sinking Barge with me to Tasmania tomorrow, and then Japan in December. I'll have my MacBook and DSLR with me.

I don't know if you have thought about this, but carrying around a lot of weight in a messenger style bag isn't very good for you, and is just downright uncomfortable. In fact, a large sized messenger bag of any sort is rather uncomfortable, even if it's not overly heavy. If you're carrying a MacBook, and then maybe a DSLR, chargers, batteries, etc, in 1 or 2 years, you may want to get something that you won't find uncomfortable.

Here's a review of my Crumpler bag that I wrote in another forum at MacRumours. :) LINKETY LINK I think a backpack might be your best bet. Your list of things you want to carry doesn't sound like something that's well suited for a shoulder bag.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Well, this thread comes at the right time:)

I just got my new bag yesterday, Crumpler zoomiverse
zoomiverse.jpg

I just loaded it up today and it can easily take:

laptop (up to 17", shame I only have a 12":) )
dslr + 35mm body
8 lenses
2 flashes
tripod
plus all accesories

It feels extremely stable on my back due to the waiststrap and I am going to have absolutely no qualms about going skiing with it. It is built like a tank and because I have had a wonder weenie that has suffered 2 years of everyday abuse without a scratch, I will vouch for crumplers build quality.

The daily L might be more what you are looking for. It can take a body, couple of lenses and a laptop. Good luck searching and I hope you find what you are looking for.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I'm glad it works.

...buuuuuuuuuut it looks like a testicle to me.:p No offense.

LOL, none taken. It doesn't look like a testicle in real life, more like one of those fake pregnancy tummies teenage girls are sometime made to wear!

But what a great idea, gonads made out of ripstop fabric:D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Here's the bag I've fallen in love with, the Domke F-803. Seems like it would fit everything quite nicely!

The Domke "satchel bag...." Yes, I've got this bag (in black) and I love it dearly! I bought it at the time I first got my Coolpix 8800 and then when I moved on to the D70 it was still ideal. Last winter when I got my D200 I was happy that the bag was still very useable. It's perfect for a body and a lens and one or maybe two extra lenses plus the little odds and ends that one always needs..... I've used this bag a lot when going around the city (DC). When I went out to San Francisco last January I took it, carrying just my D200, 18-200 and 12-24mm. It was perfect for doing the tourist bit when sometimes cable cars were crowded and it also was easier to carry around with me all day when I was touring the exhibits at MacWorld. In the city it looks unobtrusive and kinda/sorta like a laptop bag but not really that, either, so that onlookers can't be sure if you're carrying some expensive electronic gear or your lunch.

enigma51

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
I have a nice set of lenses so the back pack I have (Canon) cant store them all. But if you just starting and have two lenses and a body get a backpack and a one or even two lenses holders which you can attach to the backpack straps. So you dont have to take the thing off every time you want to swap lenses. You are of course asking why not just hold on to the lenses bag and yes you have a point but on your way to the "photo shoot" you want something secure with lots of padding.

Also investing in hard case (look on lowerpro site) is not a bad idea when you get to 5+ lense with 20 filters two flashes and a few other odds and ends! Thats the best option for flights and buses!

enigma51

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
O yes one more thing
If you get a camera backpack get one that completely opens ie the flap is not attached to the rest of the back but only at the bottom Why? cause when you do get to a spot you want to photograph there is nothing worst than a bag that does not open fully which means you have to search the bottom of the bag in the "dark"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.