Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How has Youtube app been treating your iphone battery after the latest update?

• Back to normal

• Overheating and battery drain still remains

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kixxinghae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
I’ve been sick of having my battery drained and overheated by watching videos on Youtube app, so its been a month I uninstalled it and use youtube on safari instead. Until About a week ago I noticed that Youtube app had an update claiming it fixed the battery drain. I updated it 2 days ago thinking it was actually fixed but the issue still remains, meaning no improvement on my battery life at all.

Anyone has the same issue on youtube as well?

Also, by watching youtube via safari on ios 11.1 I got stellar battery life on my 7 plus with 8.5 hours usage. But it is now down to 7-7.5 hours after I updated to ios 11.2. Many users get better battery life on ios 11.2 but why cant I get that?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sure.

https://pastebin.com/fpxjkXV4

Developer who did it

https://mobile.twitter.com/Steelzeh

Unfortunately right now by default it only works on jailbroken devices but if you want to know how to get it to work on non jailbroken devices I can help. I figured out a way.
Oh, on a jailbroken device.

Been dropped from App Store a while ago, hence why I wonder it is still available.

I don’t know if OP has the interest to jailbreak his device. We will see.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Oh, on a jailbroken device.

Been dropped from App Store a while ago, hence why I wonder it is still available.

I don’t know if OP has the interest to jailbreak his device. We will see.

You don't need to jailbreak to use the new fixed Protube!

ProTube lives on!

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
It was removed from the App Store back in September.

Too bad, I meant to get it but didn't get around to it and now I'm stuck with the awful official version or awful browser version.

Yes that is true but you can still get it on a jailbroken or non jailbroken device. I am currently using it right now.

0wkOl04.jpg

dIj3er3.jpg

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
I'm still using 10.11.11546 (last version for iOS 6, no compatibility warnings whatsoever on iOS 10.3) on my iPad, works most of the time except the audio cuts out when going full screen on certain videos.

Anyone knows of an newer version that does not have that issue and not drain my battery like the latest ones do?

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I'm still using 10.11.11546 (last version for iOS 6, no compatibility warnings whatsoever on iOS 10.3) on my iPad, works most of the time except the audio cuts out when going full screen on certain videos.

Anyone knows of an newer version that does not have that issue and not drain my battery like the latest ones do?

You need to select videos that are 1080p or under to help with battery issues on iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.