Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello,
I'm using MacBook Pro 2015.
I'm using Safari to watch YouTube.
Does it make sense to use youtube client instead of browser?
Will it give me any advantage?
If 'yes' ... which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
If you just want to watch (rather than say download to keep the videos offline) my advice is Safari + a good ad blocker (I like 1Blocker but others should work)

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I prefer using a weblink that opens in safari and placed it in the applications folder and the alias to the dock instead of an app.
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 3.51.20 AM.png

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hello,
I'm using MacBook Pro 2015.
I'm using Safari to watch YouTube.
Does it make sense to use youtube client instead of browser?
Will it give me any advantage?
If 'yes' ... which one would you recommend?

Thanks

MediaTube from MediaHuman https://www.mediahuman.com/mediatube/, free, no ads. As of the latest available version, possible to set up the preferred resolution (up to 4K), not possible to subscribe via app, save searches, lacks keyboard shortcuts (only clicks). Stable, fast, no lag, great simple interface.

Minitube from the developer Flavio Tordini, available on MAS, the App Store, search by name. The developer's site is https://flavio.tordini.org/minitube. Major features: paid, no ads, possible to add subscriptions, save searches, set up the preferred resolution (up to 4K). UI is not very heart pleasing, the weakest part is resizing windows that lacks fluidity (present in MediaTube) but it's as reliable as the previously mentioned one. Some features I, personally, still didn't come to grips of, such as "find fragments of this video elsewhere" (or smth to the effect of that) but that's a minor distraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Susja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.