Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I understand Chrome on Mac runs not as good as Safari does, I do understand, but even youtube runs badly doesn't make sense at all.

The Safari on Mac (Im now on macOS Sierra) runs everything smoothly, including youtube pages. The chrome, on the other hand, is not that perfect, but still way beyond acceptable (comparing to few years ago chrome has really improved its performance on Mac).

But with one exception: youtube pages. Im not talking about the playing here, playing is totally fine, but the page itself opens slow, and scrolls very choppy and lag. I just dont get it, youtube is google's service right? why these days these companies doing things like that?

youtube pages on safari is great, but I dont use safari since its lack of useful extensions. But on chrome I have already disabled All extensions related to youtube, I even did a clean install of the Whole OS then reinstalled chrome (without logging in my google account to make sure no extension is loaded). but when comes to youtube pages, the scrolling speed drops to below 10 fps constantly.

This is the only reason I still keep safari open, because when I watch youtube the chrome takes half the CPU powers (which is fine to me since I keep my power cord plugged in) but the overall choppy webpage experiences are just annoying.

Anyone know how to fix this or at least know why does this happen? o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.