Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My parents own a MacBook Pro. They love to watch all kinds of YouTube videos on it through the Safari web browser.

This past weekend, for no reason I can find, the YouTube homepage (and any YouTube video link I send to them) stopped responding. When I try typing in the YouTube homepage into Safari, a blank page appears, with the YouTube logo in the upper-left corner and an array of grey placeholders where video links should be. If I send a link to a specific video to them, and then click on the link using their machine, the video will play, but all the YouTube text and search pane and other standard page elements are greyed out. There is no way to access my parents' YouTube account in Safari on their machine.

I tried posting this question on Google's product forums earlier this week, but to date there have been no replies.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Well, that's one issue I've never dealt with. How does one toggle Javascript?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I'll try that...
[doublepost=1558040785][/doublepost]I checked out JavaScript in both Safari's preferences and also the MacOS control panels.

JavaScript is installed, active, and enabled in Safari.

YouTube in Safari is still a no-go.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Even though YouTube doesn't work in Safari, will it still work using OTHER browsers, such as Firefox, iCab, or EPIC ???

Reactions: willmtaylor

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
^ Still works in FireFox. They don't have any other browsers loaded onto their machine.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Didn't YouTube mention they were no longer going to support Safari? Can't remember where I read that though. I know on youtube tv I can't watch in Safari it specifically says it's not supported.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Regular YouTube does work in my Safari browser, and I've never had any problems like this on my iMac.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
By "regular YouTube", I mean free YouTube.

Wow. Crickets. Nobody ever had this problem? Or never figured out how to solve it?

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Never had any problems with YouTube in Safari with a 2013 rMBP running 10.14.5.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I just discovered something...

Upon visit YouTube on my parents' MacBook Pro, I noticed something about Safari.

Next to the YouTube URL, there was a "lock" icon. I clicked on the icon, and Safari dropped down a notification that Safari has an encrypted connection with YouTube, and it offered to show me the certificate. I looked it over, and it looked OK. Google... Mountain View, CA... blab-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah...

Is someone trying to spoof Google/YouTube? What do I do now?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Is someone trying to spoof Google/YouTube? What do I do now?"

Have you tried running MalwareBytes?
https://www.malwarebytes.com

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.
When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now".
Just click "Scan Now".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I ran MalwareBytes on their laptop. The scan showed the machine is clean.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
This might not be important but you never know. Are you on the newest Safari version for the operating system you’re on? That might be part of the problem?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
This is just so weird.

The problem comes and goes on their MacBook Pro. Most of the time, Safari and YouTube don't play well.

There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.