Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I was a Sunday Ticket user for years. It's why I got DirecTV. But almost $500? On DTV, it was a little cheaper and you could pay it off over 5 months of the season. But $500 up front? That's what it spunds like, I did not see them mention monthly pricing for non-YouTube subscribers.

Actually, I care more about RedZone, which I can get via the NFL app (I have the subscription). But for me personally, the whole Sunday Ticket is done for me now.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I was a Sunday Ticket user for years. It's why I got DirecTV. But almost $500? On DTV, it was a little cheaper and you could pay it off over 5 months of the season. But $500 up front? That's what it spunds like, I did not see them mention monthly pricing for non-YouTube subscribers.

Actually, I care more about RedZone, which I can get via the NFL app (I have the subscription). But for me personally, the whole Sunday Ticket is done for me now.

I think it might about $100 off for normal subscribers.

This is quite a jump, especially from DirecTV, typically this isn’t much of Google thing to be this big… but I guess there’s first for everything. Pretty floored, but I guess I’ll stick with my local market or going to a bar.

I think the NFL really pushed the pricing on this one though. Apple wasn’t going to push it, so they found someone who would do it. Also, there will be people who will continue to pay it, even with the price increase, so YT will gain from it.

Reactions: Rafterman

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

How does that work? Can you get the app on a streaming device or is it device (phone/tablet) only?

Plus I wonder if now that DirecTV has lost ST, if they will pick up what was previously the cable/DISH version of the RedZone. They had no reason to have it before when they had their own, but now they do.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
How does that work? Can you get the app on a streaming device or is it device (phone/tablet) only?

Plus I wonder if now that DirecTV has lost ST, if they will pick up what was previously the cable/DISH version of the RedZone. They had no reason to have it before when they had their own, but now they do.

Well, AppleTV has an app and I will watch it that way (though I've never tried it since I always had DTV's Redzone channel).

I guess Redzone and Sunday Ticket were two different things. DTV had both, so it's possible DTV will still have at least Redzone. I haven't really looked into it yet though, as the season is a looong way off.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Well, AppleTV has an app and I will watch it that way (though I've never tried it since I always had DTV's Redzone channel).

I guess Redzone and Sunday Ticket were two different things. DTV had both, so it's possible DTV will still have at least Redzone. I haven't really looked into it yet though, as the season is a looong way off.

Awesome. If ATV has an app I suspect Roku will have one as well.

And DirecTV produced their own RedZone channel as part of ST. I doubt we will get that one, but may get the NFL Network version. I think that might go a long way for customers on the fence about leaving DirecTV.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I used to be a DirecTV subscriber JUST for the Sunday Ticket. As I lost interest in watching TV, I have just been subscribing to the stream only option for years now with no traditional TV service. I can't believe how badly DirecTV screws up Sunday Ticket. It seems like every season, the first two games are a crapshoot if you're going to going to get a stream that is good enough to watch. $449 is stupid and although I can certainly afford it, I think I'll just suffer and watch the local games.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Sunday Ticket? Wow. For what you pay, even on DirecTV, I thought you got them all. That’s a bummer.

Blackout rules for all sports need to be eliminated. Especially for Sunday Ticket. You pay through the butt for the service and they still block some games? No. Freakn'. Way.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Sunday Ticket? Wow. For what you pay, even on DirecTV, I thought you got them all. That’s a bummer.

If a game is on your local affiliates, it will be unavailable on NFLST. The theory is you have access to it from your affiliate, so you don't need another version, ie without local commercials. Got to keep the affiliates happy.

Reactions: progx

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Has anyone seen if they're offering a student discount for the Sunday Ticket? I haven't been able to find anything.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Has anyone seen if they're offering a student discount for the Sunday Ticket? I haven't been able to find anything.
Probably not likely. Don’t recall DirecTV ever offering one, doubtful YouTube will do it since the NFL is really dictating the price on it to keep their broadcast royalties high.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I took advantage of the student discount a few times to bring the bill down. I paid $120 last year, but I know you can also get it for $100 sometimes -- or at least, you used to be able to.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

And in addition, DirecTV would "comp" Sunday Ticket every 2 or 3 years if you asked... I had it on DTV for 7 or 8 years and only paid for it a few times... but yeah, $449/year is way too much, IMO.

It also has blackouts lol. Lame.

Technically, yes...

Sunday Ticket would "black out" games that were on your local OTA channels... So, for example if the Bears and Rams were playing, and it was aired locally, you could not watch that game on Sunday Ticket, but it was available on a local channel ... and if the game was interesting, it could be featured in the Red Zone channel.

Reactions: progx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.