Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Google has updated the YouTube app, now with the classic interface present in many TV and devices Android TV, PS4, and so on). The 4K videos show the 4K icon, but then the "stats for nerd" say that they play at 1080p up to 60fps (the quality of the image to me seems improved compared to the previous release, though).

Any idea if Google is planning to stream AVC videos at 1440p/2160p present already in the YouTube servers? I know there isn't a chance for VP9.2 videos.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Why isn't there a chance for VP9 Profile 2? The new app (as horrible as it is) no longer uses the native tvOS video-player but instead uses Google's own YouTube HTML-player. They are fully able to embed the VP9 codec into their own player, like Infuse have pretty much embedded every codec in existence into the Infuse and Infuse Pro app making it capable of directly playing pretty much every kind of video without much problem.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
VP9.2 isn't supported by tvOS. And it doesn't play in Infuse either. I have downloaded various 4K HDR videos from YouTube, they never play. They just show a black screen. I have also asked in the Infuse forum about them, and I have been asked by James to upload a sample. They are working on it.

Somehow Kodi instead plays those VP9 videos. But the performances are quite disappointing.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
In case other Android phone owners have missed it, we can now cast YouTube videos to the Apple TV. Unfortunately it’s buggy and crashy but once it has been fixed it will be fantastic as air play using an iPad or iPhone gets easily interrupted if you browse the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.