Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I have tried about five apps for the Mac that are supposed
to download videos and none seem to work...when the youtube
video is playing it says there is no media to download.
The one for firefox is worthless at best.
I would prefer a free download if you know one
and have actual experiences with it on youtube.
thanks

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Actual experience: Google Chrome using the Tampermonkey extension (non-beta) and the YoutubeCenter developer Userscript: https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Been using this for quite a while.

Should work across all browsers that Tampermonkey supports. I just happen to use it together with Google Chrome v52.

If you'd rather use the Greasemonkey extension for Firefox that would work just as well in my experience when using the Firefox browser.

Also, I've never tried the YoutubeCenter developer extension. I've kept myself to the userscript.

Snoop around.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
What you gave me are not completed applications....they are for developers. I will try the Greesemonkey.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
You don't need any app to download Youtube vids, its pretty easy with Safari.
That was true some years ago but the current Safari does not have that feature......Apple decided we did not need to download videos....they also decided that when using Quicktime to record a streaming video...we did not need to hear the audio...so the Developer Geeks designed Quicktime so it records in silence......Great thinking!!!

Reactions: tennisproha

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Actually, they may be true for other sites but working with youtube....is problematic at best.

Joycekyle

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
I think you should check whether the URL you provide is incorrect. Sometimes, people may mistype blanks into the address bar, which causes downloading task failure. Absolutely, if you believe that the apps are not effective, you may consider searching some other downloading apps.

As for me, I usually download YouTube video with Video Grabber and ClipConverter. Both of them are free online applications without installing any other plugins or programs. Hope they will be workable on your computer. Good luck.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I just right-click or 2-finger tap within the video window and Safari gives me the option to download video, no 3rd party apps needed. I've been doing this since, at least, Safari 8.

I can remember only twice when it became unavailable, then, in a couple of days or so, Apple issued a Safari update to remedy that.

agentsmithone

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
California
++++++++++++++++
I do not want to inter a link to the youtube video each time I want to download...big hassle.
Web-based options work and generally contains no malware threat. Google has banned and eradicated possibilities for YouTube video downloaders, many of the remaining browser extensions are not signed (sanctioned) and may contain malware so use at your own risk.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have tried about five apps for the Mac that are supposed
to download videos and none seem to work...when the youtube
video is playing it says there is no media to download.
The one for firefox is worthless at best.
I would prefer a free download if you know one
and have actual experiences with it on youtube.
thanks
Just add ss in front of the youtube video url and pick your download.
Example:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

To download:
Code:
https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Done.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
You may try Videobox by TastyApps. It has a Safari extension for convenience.
Update:
It can pretty much download any video, not only Youtube.
I tried a number of video downloaders, but at the end I stayed with Videobox. The (one-click) Safari extension turned out to be very convenient, there is no need for copy/paste (though it has this option as well).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.