Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I’m tired of YouTubers saying oh “well if you’re doing VFX work, the MAX is for you…” but clearly have not themselves. Because unless you’re anyone who does real 3D or motion work often needs way more powerful & reliable, especially if you’re doing for a big studio.

They have no idea what they are talking about!! Take it from real 3D artists:

(Finding someone online who does 3D is few and far between, but I was able to…)

For anyone who is doing work in 3D or is a 3D artist, this great video by Neo where he uses Blender, Cinema4D + Redshift, Zbrush, Unity. It is super comprehensive and he speeds through it really quickly. Really puts it through its paces and work he doesn’t for clients in the past. He also compares it to the Intel Macbook Pros.

⭐️ has English subs, turn on CC ⭐️

His conclusions are pretty sound. basically. Neo concludes its not the best for 3D, but lot of the apps aren't optimised or made for Apple Silicon yet, so its best to wait the software you want to use is ready. And with that said, it may not be the most appropriate. But there are other advantages in owning the MBP, like the screen, the OS, etc.

Anybody else trying this machine for 3d?

Last edited:

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
This review by Leon also compares it to RTX 1080Ti, 2080Ti, 3080Ti

Leon compares the MBP M1 Max (maxed out) to a 3080, says a lot of software it not optimised. Basically the dedicated GPUs beat out the MBPs for the 3D work he does, even a 1080Ti. The MBP or the software isn’t ready yet, and it’s a good computer but still need to wait.

Basically, while CPU rendering is comparable. as soon as you move rendering from CPU to the GPU, a dedicated graphics card will always win out (over even the 32 cores GPU of the M1 MAX).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
CAD might be a different story. This one has generally good reviews. One more for CAD designers in Archicad. It's long so I would start from 23:18

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.