Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I am loving that! A full frame with a 35mm lens. Like a Sony RX1 but with Zeus’s Otus colour scheme.

I bet it costs a fortune though. It will likely be priced at the same price point as the Leica Q.

One potential fly in the ointment is it doesn’t look like it offers much in terms of friction for your hand and that finish looks like it will look weathered and “full of character” pretty quick.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Love the minimalist design...until I realize that the most basic functions are menu driven.
Yeah, I don’t know if I could handle such a clean design! Interesting idea though—combining smartphone and FF features into one package. I didn’t watch the video (started getting one of those “congratulations” popups), but I guess it would be running Android, or are they going to try to manage their own version of mobile LR?

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah, I don’t know if I could handle such a clean design! Interesting idea though—combining smartphone and FF features into one package. I didn’t watch the video (started getting one of those “congratulations” popups), but I guess it would be running Android, or are they going to try to manage their own version of mobile LR?

Good question.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
And I am trying to wean myself off of Adobe, so Lightroom isn't really a selling point and don't relish the idea of doing any photo processing, other than direct social media upload, on any monitor smaller than 15".

Reactions: kenoh and Strider64

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Zeiss makes great lenses (Otus, Batis, etc...) and has a friendly relationship with Sony. That seems like a nice compact camera to carry around. Though I happy with lugging around my Sony A7R III camera for some odd reason. My smartphone's camera comes in handy when I don't have my main camera on hand.

Robotti

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
So, after the Android version becomes obsolete, what can you do with the camera?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
So, after the Android version becomes obsolete, what can you do with the camera?
I don’t know for sure if it is Android powered, but I guess it wouldn’t necessarily become obsolete. It would still be able to perform the basic edits—anything more advanced would be painful on such a small screen. Also, the WiFi connectivity provides OTA updates. If it is Android based, you might just keep getting updates as Adobe releases them. Zeiss might have to push them out if this is custom Android. Again, it isn’t clear from the press release.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I don’t know for sure if it is Android powered, but I guess it wouldn’t necessarily become obsolete. It would still be able to perform the basic edits—anything more advanced would be painful on such a small screen. Also, the WiFi connectivity provides OTA updates. If it is Android based, you might just keep getting updates as Adobe releases them. Zeiss might have to push them out if this is custom Android. Again, it isn’t clear from the press release.

It's running Android to run Lr.

And I imagine it would just keep working just as the computer in any other Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panny, etc keeps working after the last firmware update. Ie for as long as the camera works. The only caveat I see is the Lr part; since that's more useful with a connection to Adobe I'd think it would need regular updates. But nothing more difficult than updating any other camera or lens I'd guess.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yes, horribly gimmicky. From a brand that has not really been known to produce gimmicks.
I mostly agree—making advanced edits on-camera would not be fun, and it would probably draw down battery more. I could see value in exposure/highlights/shadows sliders, just to see if a RAW file could be saved, but beyond that, you’re relying pretty heavily on the quality of that small display.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Interesting. 35mm is a good focal length for walk about/travel. I've taken several trips with a Leica where a 35mm lens was on the camera most of time (though I would generally have a 21mm or 24mm in the bag "just in case"). Sometimes with a 90mm in the bag too. Both the wider and the longer lenes didn't get much use on these trips, but there were times I was glad I packed them. If I recall correctly, Nikon used to make two rangefinder film cameras, one with a 35mm lens and one with a 28mm lens--not sure which focal length was more popular.

As others have stated, I'm a bit puzzled by the inclusion of LR in the camera. I can't imagine a scenario (at least for my own usage) where that would be useful. If you aren't traveling, take the time to do proper edits on your main computer before sharing? If you are traveling, take a small laptop (or even an iPad) with you or wait until you get home? Crappy edits on a tiny screen aren't likely to be that much better than just sending JPEGs straight out of the camera if you *really* need to share a pic immediately.

Something that might be a better marketing point would be to incorporate the digital depth of field scale that they use with their Batis lenses. This lets you "zone focus" in manual focus mode (similar to a rangefinder). Somewhat similar to focus peaking, but it lets you set focus to the hyperfocal distance for a given aperture, ensuring maximal depth of field going from near to infinity. Focus may not be perfect near-to-far, but it ensures the largest DOF with "acceptable" focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.