Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hey, does anyone have any experience with the MC Zenitar 16mm fisheye lens? After reading up on it for a while, I decided to buy one for myself. I also read in a couple of forums that the zoom ring sometimes needs to be adjusted. Can someone confirm this? Is it easy/worth it? How can I tell if I need to in the first place?

Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I LOVED my Zenitar Fisheye. Used it on my Nikon F4 for ages. However, with the crop factor of the D70 I stopped using it and eventually sold it. Honestly, it's a fun lens and well worth the money.
As far as the zoom ring, there shouldn't be a zoom ring on a fixed focal length lens.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Right you are.... FOCUS ring. I've read about people needing to adjust their focus ring, but after a few tests, I don't seem to have that problem. It really is a well-built lens... very solid feeling. The only problem I have with it is the stupid lens cap. Anyone know the history behind these things? They seem like soviet russia surplus.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
I have one with an EF ("EOS") mount. It's a fine, solid lens. Works well on my 5D in manual mode, though I have to eyeball the exposures (or use a separate meter) since it doesn't interface with the TTL metering. I have heard about focus issues but mine is plenty sharp, especially stopped down to f8 - f16.

As far as history goes, they are still being made AFAIK. The manufacturer's website is here: http://www.zenit-foto.ru/index.php?show=main&cat=main&id=1

Definitely a holdover from the Soviet era grinding out an existence building items for which the capital costs (in tooling, etc) are long since amortized. There's no new technology here just good old metal, rubber, and glass.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey, does anyone have any experience with the MC Zenitar 16mm fisheye lens? After reading up on it for a while, I decided to buy one for myself. I also read in a couple of forums that the zoom ring sometimes needs to be adjusted. Can someone confirm this? Is it easy/worth it? How can I tell if I need to in the first place?

Thanks!

Zoom ring? A fish eye lens would not have one of those. But will this lens work well on a "crop body" camera. You may be get the full effect of a fish eye. Nikon makes a 10,5mm fisheye just for the DX body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.