Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I'm sure there's hundreds of threads on this, but I have to run out the door to my 6yo's flag football game. I want to buy this lens today for my wife for Mother's day but will be out most of the day. I'm hoping to check this thread while on the road.

I really know nothing about cameras. I bought my wife a "prosumer" camera for Christmas mainly because of how fast it can take pics, not because of the more advanced features. I say this because I'm trying to illustrate our level of photography/expectations. I know we have some pro guys on this forum with virtually unlimited experience in this topic so I figured I'd throw that out there.

The lens will be used for the typical family type photos. Taking pics from the sideline of my son's game, taking pics at Disneyland, etc. I'm not taking anything that will be in National Geographic or anything. My daughter was in a school performance on Thursday and I would have liked to be able to zoom in on her from the auditorium seats. That sort of stuff. :)

I've read in the past that I should get a lens with a stabilizer built in since my camera body does not have it. I'm looking (hoping) to spend between about $250 and $400. I can go higher if needed, but due to our "needs" I'd prefer to not make a substantial investment. I currently use a Lowepro Rezo 180AW case. This is about a middle size case that can carry one camera body and a couple lenses. I'd prefer to have this new lens fit in this case.

Thanks guys.

Mike

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I'm sure there's hundreds of threads on this, but I have to run out the door to my 6yo's flag football game. I want to buy this lens today for my wife for Mother's day but will be out most of the day. I'm hoping to check this thread while on the road.

I really know nothing about cameras. I bought my wife a "prosumer" camera for Christmas mainly because of how fast it can take pics, not because of the more advanced features. I say this because I'm trying to illustrate our level of photography/expectations. I know we have some pro guys on this forum with virtually unlimited experience in this topic so I figured I'd throw that out there.

The lens will be used for the typical family type photos. Taking pics from the sideline of my son's game, taking pics at Disneyland, etc. I'm not taking anything that will be in National Geographic or anything. My daughter was in a school performance on Thursday and I would have liked to be able to zoom in on her from the auditorium seats. That sort of stuff. :)

I've read in the past that I should get a lens with a stabilizer built in since my camera body does not have it. I'm looking (hoping) to spend between about $250 and $400. I can go higher if needed, but due to our "needs" I'd prefer to not make a substantial investment. I currently use a Lowepro Rezo 180AW case. This is about a middle size case that can carry one camera body and a couple lenses. I'd prefer to have this new lens fit in this case.

Thanks guys.

Mike

What shots are you after?
In other words, are you looking for "wide zoom" or "tele zoom"?

I have both kit lens from Canon, the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS.
However, I bought them with my camera, decent deal as kit price.

Can you return your Ti1 and buy another one with kit lens for decent price?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

first, a zoom lens is a lens that has a range of focal lengths, rather than just one, not a lens that "zooms in" on a scene (which is what I think you mean).

the kit lens that comes with the camera is an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS. it's a zoom lens that covers wide angle to short telephoto. it's more of a general-purpose type of lens, like when you're at Disneyland or something. a telephoto lens is for when you're far away, like for sports.

the best telephoto lens in your price range is the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS. it will do fine outdoors, but you won't be getting many good pictures of any indoor performances because it doesn't let in enough light. for that, you have two options:
- buy a fixed focal length (aka prime) lens, like a Canon 85 f/1.8 or 100 f/2
- save up and spend $750 or more on a zoom lens that lets in more light (e.g. Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 II). if you want stabilization on that lens, you're looking at more than $1200 for a used one (original Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS) or $1700 for a new one (Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS)

there should also be a T1i + 18-55 + 55-250 kit, if you can return/exchange your camera for that.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

I've read in the past that I should get a lens with a stabilizer built in since my camera body does not have it. I'm looking (hoping) to spend between about $250 and $400. I can go higher if needed, but due to our "needs" I'd prefer to not make a substantial investment.

Mike

Based on above, get the same as I have, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras.
Yes, I've taken 1,000's of shots with mine and very happy with it for outdoor shots.

Good value for outdoor shots, which is what you are mostly after.
$250 @ Walmart/other, cheaper online, but if you want it now.....

For indoor shots I've taken decent shots with it using ISO800, not the best but to get a "faster" zoom lens (like fixed L 70-200 2.8f) and use lower ISO you are talking $2k.

Indoor shot using ISO800, 1/60 second, ƒ/5.6, 154mm and cropped.
_MG_4170.jpg

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS will work fine for me. In fact that's probably the one that was available in the kit at Best Buy when I bought it. The reason I didn't end up with the kit was at the time Best Buy was sold out of that lens and the approximately delivery time was a month after Christmas. Since this was a Christmas present for the wife I couldn't wait that long so I bought the camera without it.

Would you think Best Buy, Walmart, or Ritz camera would be the best place to pick it up? I've never been into Ritz but noticed they opened one up close to me. Sounds like this is more of a consumer type lens so I'd imagine it's available just about anywhere that carries digital SLR's? Are their typically large price differences among the typical retail stores on this type of equipment? Thanks guys

Mike

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
if you have to buy it separately, buy it online. B&H Photo, Adorama, Canoga Camera, 47th St Photo, Beach Camera, Cameta Camera, and J&R are some legitimate sites you can look at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.