Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
One thing I've noticed with 10Gbe is that running any form of virtualization software on my iMac Pro massively impacts ethernet throughput. I've verified this with VMware Fusion Pro, Parallels and Virtualbox - even before they actually spin up virtual machines.

The problem is so enormous that I've actually moved my Vagrant/VMware development suite off my own machine and put it onto a separate box so that my iMP isn't impacted by whatever is going on.
Just a note that VMware have acknowledged this as a bug in vmnet-bridge and have committed to fix it in the next release of Fusion. I have yet to hear from Virtualbox or Parallels.

Reactions: pastrychef

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
We are running 4 MacPro's 5.1 on a NAS via 10GBe Myricom 10G-PCIE-8C-T network adapter. After upgrading to macOs Sierra there was a maximum speed of 90 MB/s available.

Myricom told us, it's a driver problem. But that's simply not true.
We wrote a script which increases the speed to 1000 MB/s.

If there's anyone out there with the same issues, just send a PN.

View attachment 666437
I'm looking for a 10Gbe adapter for a Mac Pro 5,1 on Mojave and saw Myricom mentioned as a Mac supported vendor. As of fall 2019 they seem to have Mojave drivers available, just checking if the current drivers work well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.