Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
My 11" M1 iPad started shutting down on it's own pretty much daily since upgrading from 15.x to 16.3.1 while my wife's 2nd gen 11" on 16.3.1 is fine. So ***** irritating and typical buggy release by Apple again. Ugh.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My 11" M1 iPad started shutting down on it's own pretty much daily since upgrading from 15.x to 16.3.1 while my wife's 2nd gen 11" on 16.3.1 is fine. So ***** irritating and typical buggy release by Apple again. Ugh.
This sounds more like a hardware problem or something related to software that's installed on your particular iPad. I'd start with a reinstall and restore, then if that doesn't solve it, take the iPad in for service.

Reactions: rui no onna

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
This sounds more like a hardware problem or something related to software that's installed on your particular iPad. I'd start with a reinstall and restore, then if that doesn't solve it, take the iPad in for service.
I would normally think so too but it started right when I upgraded to 16.3.1 from 15.x (of course that doesn't definitively mean a software issue). Maybe there was a problem during upgrade, but I blame the software given poor quality of the updates going back several years.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I would normally think so too but it started right when I upgraded to 16.3.1 from 15.x (of course that doesn't definitively mean a software issue). Maybe there was a problem during upgrade, but I blame the software given poor quality of the updates going back several years.
But you have empirical evidence of another device working perfectly fine. It seems to me that your blame may be misplaced here.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
But you have empirical evidence of another device working perfectly fine. It seems to me that your blame may be misplaced here.
Sure it could be, but it's a different model so not really scientific. Of course I may be just blaming Apple based on previous poor experiences with the previous updates.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
would it possible to elaborate a bit on what happens? Does at shutdown and reboot? Or just shutdown and one has to physically start it up? How much space is left on the iPP? Does it happen at certain times, during use of certain apps, what services are running, et cetera?

Reactions: katbel

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
My M1 12.9 started killing off my most used app randomly. It just disappears. Can be 1-2h between, or minutes. Flashing from dfu and setting up as New didnt change a thing.
-A few days ago it turned off, while interacting with the screen. I turned the display back on and straight away the same thing happened. No repeat of that since.
My old ipad Pro 10.5 is still fine.
-My Apple TV 4k 2g close my most used app too, every now and then. No apparent reason. Happens exactly as on the iPad. Did clean setup of that device too, and still the same.

All of the above started happening after installing 16.3.1 and equivalent on Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.