Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bk125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
New York
I’ve been looking forward to replacing my 10.5” iPad pro for about a year now, and I’ve wanted to love my new 11” M4 iPad Pro, but I fear it may not be doing it for me. Like, the new iPad is so nice. But I just have this nagging feeling that a lot of the niceness comes at the expense of usability.
  • This is the thinnest and lightest 11” iPad ever! Well, unless you use it with the keyboard, which most people (including me) seem to be doing. This iPad is far heavier than the 10.5” iPad Pro it’s replacing—by 43%. It’s kind of nuts how many compromises were made to create this luxurious Magic Keyboard with its theatrical cantilevered-iPad effect, let’s enumerate them:
    • It’s cool that there’s a trackpad on the keyboard. The trackpad is very nice. Using a cursor on an ipad doesn’t work as well as touching the screen, though—but, compared to the Smart Keyboard Cover, the screen has been pushed back too far to touch it comfortably while you’re typing, so you’re incentivized to use the trackpad. I think it’s an inferior experience to a Macintosh and to an iPad with a screen you can reach.
    • The rubber stuff on the outside… it seems fragile. I can’t imagine that it would still look decent 6 months from now, can you?
    • This thing is so, so heavy. I’m a little surprised that reviewers never made a bigger deal out of this. The weight of the Magic Keyboard is a disaster. It’s conceptually at odds with the purpose of the iPad as a portable device. It’s as though the design team thought, “cool, we can cantilever the iPad an inch” and made every other design choice subsidiary to that.
    • The palm rests appear to be quarter-inch slabs of solid aluminum. If this thing has to counterbalance the iPad on the other end, couldn’t they have stuffed some extra batteries in there?
    • I’m a little concerned about the long-term effect of smushing the top of the screen against the bare aluminum of the palm rest when the Magic Keyboard is closed. Wouldn’t a little rubber lip in the corner be nice?
    • The key action is good, as expected. But, again, it’s smaller and heavier than my 2017 12” Macbook (which, despite its pokiness and declining battery, may simply be the World’s Greatest Writing Computer, never to be replaced).
  • I know iPadOS is a wildcard in the days before WWDC, but it’s not easy to use control center, and not easy to use with an external screen because the OS doesn’t let you configure the precise position of your iPad relative to your screen (ie, there’s no way to choose “to the left and slightly below”).
  • The squeeze-click with the pencil is nice. That’s not a downgrade.
  • You do sound insane when you say: “When you are using the iPad in a darkened room and set the screen brightness to 25% and look at solid blocks of medium-to-dark-grays, there is a static film-grain pattern on the screen as you move the content around,” but it can also be true that a $1600 tablet shouldn’t put you in a position where you can say that sentence.
There are also aspects of it that make it a pleasure to use. It’s as fast as a fast computer! There’s enough RAM that tabs don’t reload all the time! But I’m not only looking for it to be luxurious, as John Gruber put it in his review. I have practical needs too, like to take my iPad with me, and I’m not sure this is meeting them better than my previous model. Does any of this resonate?

bk125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
New York
Sounds like your issue is more with the keyboard than the iPad?
Well, yes. But you're buying into the whole system. (I don't think the Logitech keyboard would solve my problems, for instance, since it's similarly heavy and less nice. If they made a Smart Keyboard Folio for this model, I would trade the Magic Keyboard in for that.)

Did you use a keyboard with your previous iPad? If not, why are you using a keyboard now?
Yep, the Smart Keyboard Cover. It was almost weightless, worked well, and was fairly unobtrusive.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well, yes. But you're buying into the whole system. (I don't think the Logitech keyboard would solve my problems, for instance, since it's similarly heavy and less nice. If they made a Smart Keyboard Folio for this model, I would trade the Magic Keyboard in for that.)

Yep, the Smart Keyboard Cover. It was almost weightless, worked well, and was fairly unobtrusive.
I had a 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard set up. The combo weight was definitely noticeable. I really didn't let that bother me. The instability when used on the lap was the biggest frustration for me.

If you plan to use the combo on a desk most of the time, the weight of the combo really shouldn't be a factor for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I actually think this is a much bigger problem for the regular iPad and the iPad Air - neither of which have a lower cost Smart Keyboard available for them at this time. I hope Apple fixes this issue across the line.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Myrr

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
OP I also just upgraded from a 10.5 w/ the smart KB cover (KB was actually not working - the upgrade was due to battery issues) - anyways, I now have the 11 w/ the MKB as well. I totally agree it's a lot heavier so I see where you are coming from - funny that I find myself wanting to use the keyboard much more because it's so much better to use than the smart KB... the reality was I only really used the previous KB while traveling or sitting somewhere with a desk.

So in that sense I really have to agree w/ Apple_Robert in that the weight matters less for the intended usage. Except for maybe carrying it around, but the benefits of the new KB warrant an extra pound in my bag.

I picked up a skin to help with the wear and tear on the outside of the keyboard... might be worth looking into and at least they don't add much more weight ha....and I agree that the MKB weight could've been batteries instead but I bet it would be even more $$$.

Reactions: bk125

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I’ve been looking forward to replacing my 10.5” iPad pro for about a year now, and I’ve wanted to love my new 11” M4 iPad Pro, but I fear it may not be doing it for me. Like, the new iPad is so nice. But I just have this nagging feeling that a lot of the niceness comes at the expense of usability.
  • This is the thinnest and lightest 11” iPad ever! Well, unless you use it with the keyboard, which most people (including me) seem to be doing. This iPad is far heavier than the 10.5” iPad Pro it’s replacing—by 43%. It’s kind of nuts how many compromises were made to create this luxurious Magic Keyboard with its theatrical cantilevered-iPad effect, let’s enumerate them:
    • It’s cool that there’s a trackpad on the keyboard. The trackpad is very nice. Using a cursor on an ipad doesn’t work as well as touching the screen, though—but, compared to the Smart Keyboard Cover, the screen has been pushed back too far to touch it comfortably while you’re typing, so you’re incentivized to use the trackpad. I think it’s an inferior experience to a Macintosh and to an iPad with a screen you can reach.
    • The rubber stuff on the outside… it seems fragile. I can’t imagine that it would still look decent 6 months from now, can you?
    • This thing is so, so heavy. I’m a little surprised that reviewers never made a bigger deal out of this. The weight of the Magic Keyboard is a disaster. It’s conceptually at odds with the purpose of the iPad as a portable device. It’s as though the design team thought, “cool, we can cantilever the iPad an inch” and made every other design choice subsidiary to that.
    • The palm rests appear to be quarter-inch slabs of solid aluminum. If this thing has to counterbalance the iPad on the other end, couldn’t they have stuffed some extra batteries in there?
    • I’m a little concerned about the long-term effect of smushing the top of the screen against the bare aluminum of the palm rest when the Magic Keyboard is closed. Wouldn’t a little rubber lip in the corner be nice?
    • The key action is good, as expected. But, again, it’s smaller and heavier than my 2017 12” Macbook (which, despite its pokiness and declining battery, may simply be the World’s Greatest Writing Computer, never to be replaced).
  • I know iPadOS is a wildcard in the days before WWDC, but it’s not easy to use control center, and not easy to use with an external screen because the OS doesn’t let you configure the precise position of your iPad relative to your screen (ie, there’s no way to choose “to the left and slightly below”).
  • The squeeze-click with the pencil is nice. That’s not a downgrade.
  • You do sound insane when you say: “When you are using the iPad in a darkened room and set the screen brightness to 25% and look at solid blocks of medium-to-dark-grays, there is a static film-grain pattern on the screen as you move the content around,” but it can also be true that a $1600 tablet shouldn’t put you in a position where you can say that sentence.
There are also aspects of it that make it a pleasure to use. It’s as fast as a fast computer! There’s enough RAM that tabs don’t reload all the time! But I’m not only looking for it to be luxurious, as John Gruber put it in his review. I have practical needs too, like to take my iPad with me, and I’m not sure this is meeting them better than my previous model. Does any of this resonate?
I just did a transition from the same iPads myself.

I pretty much never used a keyboard with my 10.5 iPad Pro. I purchased the Magic Keyboard because I went cellular this time around and I want a portable cellular laptop with me for travels.

I absolutely love this Magic Keyboard. But it's certainly not as nice to type on versus a 13" laptop or even the 13" iPad Pro Magic Keyboard (gen 1 or 2).

I use my 11" iPad Pro in a Smart Folio pretty much at all times. The Magic Keyboard will be used for travel only.

If you don't like the Magic Keyboard there are other options.

Reactions: bk125

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I had a 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard set up. The combo weight was definitely noticeable. I really didn't let that bother me. The instability when used on the lap was the biggest frustration for me.

If you plan to use the combo on a desk most of the time, the weight of the combo really shouldn't be a factor for you.
i'm wondering why spend $350 on the iPad Keyboard if its for using on a desk? Why not just buy an external keyboard, which could be wider, and sit closer to the iPad? I presume an external keyboard would work with an iPad? Downside would be carrying it as a separate item I guess ... upside would be I guess around $200 ...

bk125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
New York

If you plan to use the combo a desk most of the time, the weight of the combo really shouldn't be a factor for you.
i'm wondering why spend $350 on the iPad Keyboard if its for using on a desk?

I like to use my iPad as my “travel computer,” to have something to type on when I’m in transit. When I’m at my desk I’m usually using my computer-computer.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

The Logitech keyboard is significantly lighter.
Magic Keyboard is around 580G, Logitech keyboard is 474G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.