Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Would you go for a secondary machine being the 12 inch MacBook?

I'm running a m3 MacBook Pro for the big production stuff but would love something nice and small like the MacBook to just do word processing and internet browsing.

How's the MacBook holding up after all this time to that stuff?

Opinions welcome for sure.

McMack

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
England
Until I got my M-chip Macs (only a few months ago) my 12" 2015 MacBook (all baseline specs) was doing software development. It wasn't my primary but it was a senior secondary. I was running Xcode and an iPhone simulator under Sonoma on OCLP. It was also word processing and internet browsing -- sometimes at the same time. Granted it wasn't doing the software dev/Sonoma thing very fast, but it was more than adequate. As for things like Word and browsing, not even an issue. Some websites might chug occasionally, but other than that, absolutely fine.

If I could get hold of an A-grade refurb or a brand new one at a decent price, I'd get another in case this one breaks. One of the best computers I've ever owned. Granted, I must have bought one of the magic few never to have a keyboard issue, but IMO the model's continued poor reputation is unjustified.

I've been trying to put Linux on it, but amusingly it turns out that the 2015 12" is the worst possible Mac to put Linux on. I can get it up and running and KDE Plasma looks gorgeous on the retina screen, but the keyboard will never wake from Sleep and it's an issue with every distro. Somehow it only increases my affection for the thing.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

I'm running a m3 MacBook Pro for the big production stuff but would love something nice and small like the MacBook to just do word processing and internet browsing.

My all-time favourite. Sadly erased OS but was unable to restore.

McMack

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
England
My all-time favourite. Sadly erased OS but was unable to restore.
I thought I'd done the same at one point a few weeks ago. I wanted to give up on Linux and started the MacOS restore process on the machine itself and could just about get it to restore Yosemite(!). Then I just made a bootable Big Sur USB on another Mac using the Apple guide, which worked. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/101578

I've since tried again with Linux and am determined to get something usable out of it. Like I said, Linux works on the 2015 MB 12" and works beautifully, but the keyboard and trackpad won't ever wake from sleep, making it mostly useless for my needs, and unlike most Linux problems this one doesn't seem to have been cracked by the community.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I have a top spec 2017 that I use daily. Works just fine for MS Office and web browsing, I feel no need top replace it as my secondary portable.

Only complaint - at least in later versions of Mac OS - is that the default display scaling renders the UI far too large. Apple assumes everyone is blind and has the UI elements so large that many fixed size dialog boxes are just cut off the screen. Scaling the display to a higher resolution has a *significant* impact on performance, but it's a must for usability.

The 12" always been too frustratingly slow for photo work - at least with raw images. Games are a lost cause not just due to speed but display driver issues.

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I literally just purchased one yesterday! A 2016 base model (1.1Ghz m3) for CA$60! Granted, the space bar is to be fixed (unhinged, so it can come off). It was running El Capitan (for whatever reason) and it was flying. I installed Big Sur on it and it is, to my surprise, quite fast for basic things. No slowdown. And the keyboard is "awkward first, then rewarding" to type on. It needs more force, but it feels more natural than typing on a touchscreen for sure.

Am I going to keep it? Unsure. I like the format, but my M1 MBA is difficult to replace, even with 0.6 lbs weight difference and the reduced size.

No Touch ID and a single port (that can become loose with time) could be deal-breakers for some I imagine.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'd love something equivalent to that 12" Retina MacBook -- but the horrible keyboard, anemic processor and mediocre battery life are just one dealbreaker after another.

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I'd love something equivalent to that 12" Retina MacBook -- but the horrible keyboard, anemic processor and mediocre battery life are just one dealbreaker after another.
Have you tried one? It is not that bad. Battery life is 10-hr, that was stellar few years ago before the M1.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Have you tried one? It is not that bad. Battery life is 10-hr, that was stellar few years ago before the M1.
I did have one for a hot minute. I don't remember the battery life being anywhere near that good -- but then again I also got rid of it as fast as I could because of the "keyboard".

ccbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I did have one for a hot minute. I don't remember the battery life being anywhere near that good -- but then again I also got rid of it as fast as I could because of the "keyboard".
You’re kind of right. I am still in the fence to keep it or not. The big pro for me is to dump it in a backpack and not worrying about danage or theft.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You’re kind of right. I am still in the fence to keep it or not. The big pro for me is to dump it in a backpack and not worrying about danage or theft.
Definitely something to be said for a beater laptop like that. I loved the weight of that thing. My M1 Air is not massively heavy, but it's not in that "can barely tell if it's in your backpack" category, at least for me.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Why not a 13-inch iPad Air instead?

DaneTheGr8

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
I am actually using a 2015 MacBook Retina with Big Sur as as my secondary PC and when I don't need to do work data heavy tasks I find myself using this baby more than my MacBook Pro M1 and love the portability so grabbing it and going and working on the go is a dream and works perfectly!

Go ahead and see if you can find 2017 version as it supports the latest MacOS but even the baseline 2015 is great for me!

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
If Apple re-introduced the 12-inch MacBook, I'll let go my M1 Pro 14-inch MacBook Pro. I have the Apple Studio Display and another 4K monitor on my desk, screen real estate isn't really an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.