Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Small Yellow warning triangle on my Mac. And the black text uses "might damage". That is not saying or implying "unsupported".
Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 12.21.06.png

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Except there isn't, I already provided a solution in this thread previously but it seems you guys rather complain about a broken yet unsupported feature because "we have always done it this way":

Nobody stops you from storing your user data on a different drive than the internal one. Apple should be ashamed of selling 250GB Macs in 2023 still, as well.

Yes I completely agree. I lived with a 256GB iMac for years by putting all libraries and media on externals. This works but I felt it was clunky compared to just having the complete Home Directory on an external. I considered doing it many times while I had the iMac, but never did because of the warnings, not just as above but in all discussions I found.

Last edited:

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
ok.. I think there is a bit of cultural misunderstanding here.
For those of us who grew up with Unix/Linux/AIX/IRIX/HPUX/Ultrix we have always moved user home directories away from the system volumes. It is good practice, as it prevents a user from chewing up all the disk space on the system volume. Such mishaps often led to system hangs with mystery logs, broken files, weeping maintainers.

So it was and is natural for us to move user home directories onto another volume. It also allows us some insulation from system-upgrades gone wrong.

Many of us came from grown-up industrial operating systems (AIX/IRIX/HPUX/Ultrix) where this "just worked." I, for one, had never heard anyone from apple caution that it was unsupported. In fact, it "just worked" when I did it several major versions ago. It broke with Ventura 13.3. And it broke in a way that has little to do with logging in.

Disk file ownership is broken for external mounts. As root, do an ls -l for an externally mounted directory. The owner is _unknown and the UID is 99. Now as user Barney do the same thing. The owner is Barney and the UID is Barney's.
Interesting? Now log in as Fred -- the owner is Fred and the UID is Fred's.

Nevermind login support -- Ventura 13.3 screwed up file ownership on external drives.

My guess is that nobody said that file ownership and protection on external drives is unsupported.

Since my AppleCare was still good for my Mac Pro, I called Apple and raised a case.

I told the support engineer how my system was configured (with my home defined on /Volumes/Users) and how the 13.3 update broke my world.

The support engineer did not say "Oh, that's not supported" or words to that effect.

He was unaware of the problem, but he did not try to blame the my system configuration.

~f

sssandess

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
The support engineer did not say "Oh, that's not supported" or words to that effect.

Placing user home directories off the root filesystem is an ancient and preferable Unix practice, especially when there are multiple users. Doing this is also directly supported by Apple (link below).

Managing a bunch of symlinks to implement this capability based on unknown subdirectory sizes is not a good, robust alternative.

Apple must just fix whatever they broke in 13.3.

Everyone please file bug reports via Feedback Assistant.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Doing this is also directly supported by Apple (link below).
Quote from that support article:
Update the user name in that field, but don't remove /Users/. For example, if “User name” is johnappleseed, then “Home directory” should be /Users/johnappleseed.
Again, we seem to have very different definitions of what supported means. But I give up now, I am sure Apple will fix this "supported" feature any day now. I have had tiny 250GB Macbooks for years and had no issue storing my data elsewhere and never had to move the entire user directory. Nobody forces you to store the data on the internal drive. The only app I found that did not support being moved from ~/Library at all was some cloud sync, I think it was either O365 or iCloud, and I fixed that with a symlink.

Of course not, they had no idea what you're talking about. Customer facing Apple support can handle a ticketing system and reads off a script, they're not unix sysadmins. Apple support is also known to pretend known issues don't exist.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Placing user home directories off the root filesystem is an ancient and preferable Unix practice, especially when there are multiple users. Doing this is also directly supported by Apple (link below).

That link talks about renaming the home directory, whilst keeping it in /Users. It is not about moving it to another location.

Reactions: BigSplash

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/124fods/_/je9yt8u
Caveat: while you have SIP disabled, you need to login to each user account that has a non-boot-drive home directory (i.e. do steps 5-6-7 for each account).

I just ran into a snag after re-enabling SIP.

I have a gmail email account (IMAP) that was working perfectly well after step 7. When I re-enabled SIP, it was offline. Nothing would bring it back and there were no error messages or prompts to set the password or anything. After disabling SIP again, the mail account was online immediately.

So, it looks like I need to have SIP disabled permanently until Apple comes up with a fix.

~f

Reactions: BigSplash

nicos

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2002
Interesting discussion.
I have the same problem, with the same configuration: home folder on external drive. Now, this has been discouraged (but not forbidden) by Apple from quite some time. I once called apple support because my account was taking more than 5 minutes to load. The guy spent 2 hours with me, puzzled as he was, until he realised that my home folder was not where it was supposed to be. Within 10s he was out of the call. That was a me problem.
So I lived with it, and also with having to restore the link to the home folder every time I restarted the computer.
With 13.3, everything broke, so I endeavoured to fix things: put home folder on my puny internal drive and move all data (pictures, movies, etc.) out.
Not easy. I'm no slouch when it comes with playing around the system, but I've lost 2 days just reinstalling everything, and it is still not ok: Finder crashes.
Some things don't work the same: I tried to copy the desktop preference from the old system to the new: wrong, it is not "desktop" picture anymore, but "wallpaper".
So all this to (1) add myself to those with the problem, and (2) concur that Apple had warned us against that for quite a while (yes it used to be possible but less advisable as of 13.11 or 13.12, and apparently not workable on 13.13, except with some tricky Terminal manipulations)

But here is my question:

when putting data folders out of the home folder and on an external drive, is there a way that the original "Music", "Pictures" or "Movies" folders be redirected to this new location? Because they're folders you can't delete and adding alias to the new ones clutters the home folder.

cheers

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
when putting data folders out of the home folder and on an external drive, is there a way that the original "Music", "Pictures" or "Movies" folders be redirected to this new location? Because they're folders you can't delete and adding alias to the new ones clutters the home folder.
You can delete them and create new ones that are aliases of folders on another drive. There are permissions that you have to overcome (an ACL which denies delete to everyone), but otherwise it works fine. I have deleted my Music and Movies and replaced them with aliases to their locations on another disk. I have kept my Pictures in my home folder, but I am sure I could move it too.

I suggest you don't do the same thing with Documents, Desktop and Downloads because I have had issues when not located in the home folder. I keep Downloads fairly clear by a Hazel rule which moves stuff to another disk when a week old.

Reactions: Brian33 and thereur

sssandess

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
There’s definitely merit to the points raised in this thread about what “supported” means about moving home directories out of /Users. I’ve also observed several third-party applications break on accounts whose home directories have ~/Library on external drives with spaces in the path name.

I’ve decided to throw in the towel and use symlinks to accomplish this. Upon assessing disk usage with a tool like baobab, I’ve implemented the approach below and verify that it works. This uses the MacPorts rsync binary to preserve ACL’s and extended attributes; note that the native macOS /usr/bin/rsync doesn’t have all of these flags.

Bash:
sudo rsync -ah -A -X -U -N -H --info=progress2 "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/${USER}" "/Users" --exclude "Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" --exclude Library/iTunes --exclude Library/Logs --exclude Library/Messages/Attachments --exclude Library/Photos --exclude Audio --exclude Backups --exclude Documents --exclude Movies --exclude Music --exclude Pictures
for d in "Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" Library/iTunes Library/Logs Library/Messages/Attachments Library/Photos Audio Backups Documents Movies Music Pictures; do ln -s "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/${USER}/${d}" "/Users/${USER}/${d}"; done

[Edited to exclude more large directories.]

Last edited:

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
This uses the MacPorts rsync binary to preserve ACL’s and extended attributes; note that the native macOS /usr/bin/rsync doesn’t have all of these flags.
Is there a way to repair user home folder permissions/ownerships/ACLs?

~f

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The permissions on home folder and top level folders within home folder should be like this:

Code:
ls -lahe@O /Users
drwxr-xr-x@ 90 gilby  staff  -       2.8K  6 Apr 10:03 gilby
0: group:everyone deny delete

ls -laheO ~
drwx------@  25 gilby  staff  -       800B  2 Apr 16:26 Desktop

With the same for all of Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures

To change [TEST THIS ON SOMETHING UNIMPORTANT]:
If ownership is not right, you need sudo chown <user>:staff <folder>
If POSIX permissions are wrong sudo chmod +700 <folder>
If ACL is wrong:
Remove ACL: sudo chmod -N <folder>
Add ACE: sudo chmod +a "group:everyone deny delete" <folder>

NOTE: ACL is an Access Control List which comprises of one or more ACEs (Access Control Entry).

----

The whole area of resetting a user account is very murky with Apple at various times saying how to do this (in Support articles) and then later removing those articles. Often discussing the use of diskutil resetUserPermissions and repairHomePermissions. These commands do more than just change top level permissions - e.g. change things within ~/Library.

Have read of https://eclecticlight.co/2020/02/18/repairing-permissions-in-your-home-folder-has-changed/ and https://eclecticlight.co/2022/11/18/repairing-home-folder-permissions-a-mystery/ from Howard Oakley to get a feel for the confusion, warnings and possible ways forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: foonon

sssandess

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Do you maintain multiple backups? If so, rsync from a backup. There is no substitute for 3-2-1 backups. I was reminded in this episode that even a RAID is no substitute for maintaining backups.

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Do you maintain multiple backups? If so, rsync from a backup. There is no substitute for 3-2-1 backups. I was reminded in this episode that even a RAID is no substitute for maintaining backups.
I do maintain multiple backups using SuperDuper! (weekly) and Time Machine (daily). When doing potentially dangerous things, I also take a backup of my user folders to keep "air-gapped" from my activities.

Somewhere along the line, I "lost" my home folder's ACLs and extended attributes, though, probably when rsync'ing with the version of rsync that comes with the macOS.

~f

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
The permissions on home folder and top level folders within home folder should be like this:

Code:
ls -lahe@O /Users
drwxr-xr-x@ 90 gilby  staff  -       2.8K  6 Apr 10:03 gilby

ls -laheO ~
drwx------@  25 gilby  staff  -       800B  2 Apr 16:26 Desktop

With the same for all of Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures

To change [TEST THIS ON SOMETHING UNIMPORTANT]:
If ownership is not right, you need sudo chown <user>:staff <folder>
If POSIX permissions are wrong sudo chmod +700 <folder>
If ACL is wrong:
Remove ACL: sudo chmod -N <folder>
Add ACE: sudo chmod +a "group:everyone deny delete" <folder>

NOTE: ACL is an Access Control List which comprises of one or more ACEs (Access Control Entry).

----

The whole area of resetting a user account is very murky with Apple at various times saying how to do this (in Support articles) and then later removing those articles. Often discussing the use of diskutil resetUserPermissions and repairHomePermissions. These commands do more than just change top level permissions - e.g. change things within ~/Library.

Have read of https://eclecticlight.co/2020/02/18/repairing-permissions-in-your-home-folder-has-changed/ and https://eclecticlight.co/2022/11/18/repairing-home-folder-permissions-a-mystery/ from Howard Oakley to get a feel for the confusion, warnings and possible ways forward.

Thank you for this! I'll give it a go as soon as Time Machine finishes it's initial, post-upgrade run (54.5% done, 36 hours and counting)

~f

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Hi, I just wanted to let folks know about an issue I'm having with Ventura 13.3 - and to see if maybe anyone has a fix.

For years I've kept my Home directory on an external Thunderbolt SSD. It's all been more or less fine until I upgraded to 13.3 a couple of days ago. When the system restarted, it hung while logging back in to my main user account (stored on the external SSD). I have an admin account with the Home folder on the internal SSD, and that could login just fine. No matter what I tried, I could not get the Mac to startup with my main user account on the external SSD.

Apple recommended I reinstall 13.3 - so I did that, creating new Users, etc.

That allowed me to create a new User for myself and to use the Home directory on the external SSD. All seemed fine.

Except that when I went to the Mac App store, I could not login. It would accept my username and password, but the login dialog box would disappear, allowing me to click "Sign in" again, but never sign me in.

The only way I can get everything to work again is to put my Home folder back on the SSD. When I do that, I can again log in to the Mac App store (and iCloud generally) and everything works fine.

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up and see if maybe someone has found this to be a problem and has a work-around.

It has been reported that 13.3.1 fixes this issue:

We’ll see, eh?

~f

sssandess

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
It has been reported that 13.3.1 fixes this issue:

I’m glad Apple fixed this so quickly. Thanks everyone for filing bug reports.

After having implemented both approaches to home directories on an external SSD—maintain the entire home directory externally versus creating symlinks to large directories as done here—moving the entire home directory externally is far preferable to the workflow and fragility that comes with figuring out which symlinks to create and tracking down any permissions or other issues that arise.

That said, I plan to keep the symlink approach for one account to avoid third-party app issues caused by having a home directory ’/Volumes/External Macintosh HD/Users/…’ with spaces in the path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.