Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I want to put a case on the iPad Pro 13". I am not going for an Otterbox Defender case this time. This iPad will rarely leave the house and if it does I will carry it in a slip case with carrying handles. I would like to use a lightweight case to protect it from desktop accidents, not face plants on sidewalks. It may well be from Otterbox which is the only cover have used for at least 7 years. But it has been several years since I had a active iPad on my desk so I am really out of touch with what is available. I am ordering a desk stand for it that was suggested to me in another thread. a light weight cover would be nice. I am not going to put a glass screen protector on this iPad either.

This question almost borders on beating a dead horse please have mercy. 🙏

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
I never understood otterbox, unless you have kids or are taking the thing to destruction derby why are you so rough with it? I use just a basic folio case. They will start popping up more and more. I hate the ones that the cover folds into smaller sections though. I just want to open it and close it. If anyone sees any post them!

Maybe just get a stand that it clips in on your desk?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I never understood otterbox, unless you have kids or are taking the thing to destruction derby why are you so rough with it? I use just a basic folio case. They will start popping up more and more. I hate the ones that the cover folds into smaller sections though. I just want to open it and close it. If anyone sees any post them!

Maybe just get a stand that it clips in on your desk?
I had an iPad before an iPhone so the Defender case on my 1st generation iPad Air made sense. It got carried around a lot and got dropped often enough to have been saved by the Defender numerous times. It really paid off with My iPhones. The cause of most of the drops was the wired earphones. I would hook the cable on something forget to take the earpieces out and drag it out of the truck onto a cement sidewalk that sort of thing. With the disappearance of the 3.5mm input that drag and drop problem vanished. My main reason now is to keep the device is good condition for trading it in. Some of the iphones case designs were a bit slippery too, so the case helped with that.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Does the Otterbox Statement offer protection from small drop around the house on or the desk? I am having a hard time figuring out what it is made of. I also don't think I need the defender. I don't plan to take it out of the house. But I would like something to act as a stand on a desk or table.

Last edited:
Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Does the Otterbox Statement offer protection from small drop around the house on or the desk? I am having a hard time figuring out what it is made of. I also don't think I need the defender. I don't plan to take it out of the house. But I would like something to act as a stand on a desk or table.
I should, but it. is a folio design. This is OK if you are going to use the Magic Keyboard, I have no use for one.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Looking over what is available so far the Otterbox defender is the only one without provisions for a keyboard. To heavy for how the iPad is going to be used. What I might do is go commando with the iPad on its stand, and have a zippered carrying case for taking it outside. But I have my iPhone 14 Pro Max which is in a Otterbox Defender case to carry around and take with me.

What I am waiting for is an upgraded iPad Mini for trips into the wild. I have pilot friends who have them and they are in love with them. Except for the fact that the wireless companies will not let the Mini be a full cell phone it might be a reasonable replacement for an iPhone.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
OtterBox Statement Series Studio Case for iPad Pro 13-inch (M4) questions.

I received mine today, but do not have the iPad yet. I was wondering what the black insert, rectangle in shape, embedded on the outside of the case is for???

Also I went to the Apple site, and looked at the order. I clicked on the link for returns, and Apple stated that this folio Was no longer eligible for returns. I just received it today! Is this because it is not an Apple made product?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I don't have an answer for you right now. It is the old problem and what has always kept me from purchasing a iPhone when it is introduced. I have always waited for the Otterbox Defender case to put it in. When I get the iPhone, it goes directly from the box into the Defender case with a detour to install a glass screen cover. I decide with this iPad I was not going to wait. I know exactly how it will be used so having it encased from the get go is not as important.

For those of you who want a folio case with a keyboard save some money and get a much better folio.That is the Logitech Combo Touch for iPad. The keyboard is a light year better than the magic keyboard. The 13" version has not been released yet but it will cost about $150 bucks.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 16.20.30.png

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 16.20.59.png

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I just ordered the Speck case, I had great luck with there iPhone cases.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’m embarrassed to say I can’t figure out how to deploy the flap, or what the little pull out black tray thingie is for. Anyone?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I’m embarrassed to say I can’t figure out how to deploy the flap, or what the little pull out black tray thingie is for. Anyone?
Looks like the pullout drawer is pencil storage, it’s magnetically held in place.

I’m not sure there’s a flap, that area on back looks like the bottom of the pencil drawer to me.

71466456-A2FB-4ED9-9581-0D78F45FABE0.jpeg

F1850786-EADE-4314-ACFE-92224B885EBE.jpeg

Someone on here has the OB Statement in hand, can answer better.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Looks like the pullout drawer is pencil storage, it’s magnetically held in place.

I’m not sure there’s a flap, that area on back looks like the bottom of the pencil drawer to me.

Someone on here has the OB Statement in hand, can answer better.
Thanks!. There does seem to be line on the exterior. But there is none on the interior. I grabbed this picture from the Apple Store. the angle flap must be imbedded quit deep.
cid:7F6DB498-D586-437B-85F7-F241A1D01108.jpeg

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Finally figured it out! I didn't even know the front cover was detachable! I'm hoping getting the M4 in and out of the case for use with the Magic Keyboard doesn't damage the case or the M4. Though I don't plan to use the Magic Keyboard much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.