Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Hi guys

Thinking about picking up one of the new iPads soon. I’ve always been drawn to the bigger size produced (Pro Max phones, 15” MacBook Air). Naturally the 13” iPad looks most enticing. However, one thing I am a bit worried about is using it in public. Say for example at the airport gate, or even on the plane - does the size make it seem like it is easy to be read by all around you? In a sense do you feel like you lose some privacy?

Also, how do you feel about 13” while on the couch or in bed. Particularly reading in tablet (portrait) mode. Currently I just use my phone for these tasks. Is 13” bit too cumbersome for this?

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I struggled a lot with this. I went back and forth. Read soooo many reviews, went to Best Buy and viewed the older gen in person. In the end I pre ordered the 11’. So happy with my decision. I use mostly in portrait mode. Web surfing, YouTube, news, shopping, etc. I also fly with it and it’s the perfect size. I do not use a keyboard, ever. The 11’ is the best size based on my use. Just perfect for couch, bedtime, walking around, travel, etc. sure the 13’ is a best but just does not work for my content consumption uses

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thinking about picking up one of the new iPads soon. I’ve always been drawn to the bigger size produced (Pro Max phones, 15” MacBook Air). Naturally the 13” iPad looks most enticing. However, one thing I am a bit worried about is using it in public. Say for example at the airport gate, or even on the plane - does the size make it seem like it is easy to be read by all around you? In a sense do you feel like you lose some privacy?

I don’t think so. Unless someone is sitting beside you or standing right behind you and peering at your screen, it doesn’t seem likely.

I find most folks are busy looking at their own screens to bother with what others are doing.

Also, how do you feel about 13” while on the couch or in bed. Particularly reading in tablet (portrait) mode. Currently I just use my phone for these tasks. Is 13” bit too cumbersome for this?

Definitely cumbersome for me. Very painful, too, when you’re sleepy and it falls flat on your face.

Reactions: max2

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Absolutely love my 12.9 M2. Haven't used it on a plane, but have used it at coffee shops and at restaurants at lunch. No issues in either instance.

Reactions: max2

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I know it’s a personal thing, but I find the 12.9 IPP the optimal size. I would have loved a 12.9 refresh with a screen that didn’t kill my eyes.

This is coming from someone thats thinks large phones are obnoxious.

12.9 gets business done!

Last edited:

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
My previous iPad was a 2018 IPP 12.9. I purchased the 13 M4 and with the reduced weight and thinner profile, I find it very enjoyable to use with no case in portrait propped up on my lap (similar to a large book). Not sure I'd want to hold it in space for any length of time.

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
My previous iPad was a 2018 IPP 12.9. I purchased the 13 M4 and with the reduced weight and thinner profile, I find it very enjoyable to use with no case in portrait propped up on my lap (similar to a large book). Not sure I'd want to hold it in space for any length of time.
I'm still using my 2018 12.9 and thinking about upgrading to the 13 M4. Do you find the weight difference that noticeable? And the new one more comfortable to use?

Everyone is comparing the new one with the previous M-series 12.9, which was a fair chunk heavier than the 2018 model!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi guys

In public, I see it as no different than my 13" laptop and if I'm concerned about people seeing what is on my screen, I use discretion as to what I'm viewing. I find the 12.9 to be fine on the couch or in bed but I use it in landscape, not portrait, mode.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
I'm still using my 2018 12.9 and thinking about upgrading to the 13 M4. Do you find the weight difference that noticeable? And the new one more comfortable to use?

Everyone is comparing the new one with the previous M-series 12.9, which was a fair chunk heavier than the 2018 model!
I think the difference is very noticeable, especially the thickness of each. I still have the old iPad and did a quick sitting in the comfy chair test.

Reactions: amt2002

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Naturally the 13” iPad looks most enticing. However, one thing I am a bit worried about is using it in public. Say for example at the airport gate, or even on the plane - does the size make it seem like it is easy to be read by all around you? In a sense do you feel like you lose some privacy?
As a rule of thumb, I always assume that what I am browsing in public can and will be seen by some passer-by. As such, it's more a reminder to be mindful of what content you are viewing on your mobile device in public, be it a smartphone, tablet or laptop. Stuff like movies, lecture notes, ebooks of a less sensitive nature is fine. Adult content, CAD drawings of unreleased products or documents with private information? No no.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I don't take out my 13 M4 out in public, it stays mostly at home. I just mainly use my 15 PM outdoors. I might bring my 13 if I'm staying at a hotel or someone's house.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I take my 3rd generation 12.9 IPP into dialysis 3 times a week (Tomtac hard side case) and use it for 3.5 hours each time. Considering my 30 minutes outside in the dialysis waiting room while I eat any breakfast I've grabbed from the hospital basement - and that’s 4 hours per hospital trip, plus 3 or 4 times in and out of it’s case.

Used in public and semi-private settings (the dialysis bays are pie shaped rooms around a central nursing station core), and i’ve never felt once that there was any lack of privacy. In the cafeteria everyone is scarfing down food amd elsewhere people are staring at their own screens.

I’ve brought a Macbook Air and sidecar’d the iPad. But the little dialysis table was getting crowded 😎

Nah, no issues with using a 13” iPad in public re: privacy. Use ear/headphones for ‘questionable’ content that could provoke a reaction.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.