Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
SMH. Not here.

I had an Apple Genius try and sell me on being iPad only the last time I was in an Apple store, but I'm a graphic designer. There's no way to attach two 30" Cinema Displays, two 24" Cinema Displays, an HDTV and a 20 inch Acrylic Cinema Display to an iPad - let alone an iPhone.

And last I checked, both iPhone and iPad do not run QuarkXPress or InDesign.

The day the iPad, iPhone can do that I may rethink things. Until then, I've got about 20 plus computers (Mac and PC) around me to do things.

I think you’re not alone with your professional requirements and preference for a multi monitor setup especially for design and layout purposes. But for the bit of stuff that the OP has in mind, an iPhone can achieve these tasks - keep in mind at this moment the OP doesn’t have a computer at all.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
This is a topic that I've been strongly debating lately. I used to want the biggest screen available year after year, but as I get older, I find myself not needing all of that real estate because I'm no longer texting or browsing my phone as much (every year, I have less and less friends). I don't even watch anything on my phone anymore either. If anything, I'll just listen to the audio of whatever video I'm watching with maybe the screen off. I don't know if it's because of the iPhone 13 Pro Max's great battery, but I get home with 70% battery left (I've deleted most of my dating apps, too, so now I'm not swiping endlessly either, which has improved battery life). My lifestyle has certainly changed in the last year or two. When my niece was younger, I wanted the best camera to capture every single moment, but now that she's getting older, she's giving me the teenager attitude of not wanting me recording or taking pictures (she still loves selfies, though). On one hand, I would like a more portable, lighter, convenient iPhone in my hand/pocket. On the other hand, when I think about certain tasks, like having to fill out forms on my phone, I'm grateful for the bigger screen. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Reactions: ian87w

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love my iphone 12 mini to bits, but I would not want to use it as my only computing device. Creating spreadsheets to manage my finances, typing letters, updating my CV, editing photos/videos, managing all my work emails etc would be quite hard on my 12 mini on its own, so i have my ipad air 4 for these purposes.

To the OP, if you can maybe get a cheap ipad to go with your 13 Mini, you will be fine, but if you only want to have one computing device, then i personally would get a 12/13 Pro Max or regular 12/13 Or even consider something like the newest Galaxy Note/Ultra phones with their styluses for extra productivity.

Probably the best post thus far in this thread, simply for not just stating larger screen size but what ACTUALLY is being done that needs the larger screen real-estate: workbooks/spreadsheets, resumes (although I did this on a BlackBerry 9780 & Nokia E71i years ago when I have no computer and the later worked much better with the file on device/in-cloud).

Emails - can be managed on any device: composing/forwarding/replying, filing, adding attachments, etc. on iOS attaching emails already downloaded to an email you’re composing seems to be a mystery IF this can be done or not intuitive at all (even on iPadOS). Emails are not a good measure of choosing a single device or any. Mobile email has been around for over 2 decades now, a bad example.

Should the OP or anyone ever need to use their single device to remote control any desktop OS … a phone is NOT going to cut it, period!

Also and most critically … 12/13 mini for a single device.
- really other than surfing the internet, emails, extremely light word editing/composing, music listening, non-professional picture taking/video recording/creation/editing, iOS apps, turn by turn maps, calls iMessage/SMS, or social media (mostly apps really), these 2 devices is NOT the right choice. I LOVE my 12 mini, and I'm still likely to upgrade to the iPhone 13 mini and keep it for 4yrs minimum. But as a single device your screen-on-time (SOT) will be MUCH heavier than anyone typically would since every need for computing or internet etc will be on this device, and unfortunately even with the 13 mini's 1.5hrs average screen time battery life over the 12 mini, its just not enough. Also consider doing your taxes on mobile - this alone is a long process EVEN for someone unemployed+non-self employed and just claiming basic income - doing the taxes still has a lot of silly/dumb steps which you need to complete - I'd guess 20-30mins alone for basic filing. Convenient on mobile but with 13 mini's battery life is just not enough.

13 Pro/ 13 Pro Max if you're on iPhone is your best choice.
I still recommend iPad Mini 6 if you can manage that along with iPhone 13 Pro/Max.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This is a topic that I've been strongly debating lately. I used to want the biggest screen available year after year, but as I get older, I find myself not needing all of that real estate because I'm no longer texting or browsing my phone as much (every year, I have less and less friends). I don't even watch anything on my phone anymore either. If anything, I'll just listen to the audio of whatever video I'm watching with maybe the screen off. I don't know if it's because of the iPhone 13 Pro Max's great battery, but I get home with 70% battery left (I've deleted most of my dating apps, too, so now I'm not swiping endlessly either, which has improved battery life). My lifestyle has certainly changed in the last year or two. When my niece was younger, I wanted the best camera to capture every single moment, but now that she's getting older, she's giving me the teenager attitude of not wanting me recording or taking pictures (she still loves selfies, though). On one hand, I would like a more portable, lighter, convenient iPhone in my hand/pocket. On the other hand, when I think about certain tasks, like having to fill out forms on my phone, I'm grateful for the bigger screen. Anyone else experiencing something similar?
I used to be on the side of "go big or go home." Larger screen phones not only give larger battery by default, they're also more comfortable for 2-hand-texting, media consumption, and document viewing. But today's large phones are pushing the weight up, especially with larger battery. Anything above 200g feels a bit too "heavy" for me. With my S21, I'm going back into appreciating reasonable size phones. The Galaxy S21 size is kinda my sweet spot at the moment.

Reactions: WNYX

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You could use a Mini as your main device. I have a 12 Mini which I use for social media, web browsing and video streaming. I do use an iPad Mini 5 as my “main” machine though as the Mini’s battery won’t last me for an entire day. The screen is surprisingly big for its size due to the lack of bezels… if you’re worried that it won’t be suitable you should consider the regular 13.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Probably the best post thus far in this thread, simply for not just stating larger screen size but what ACTUALLY is being done that needs the larger screen real-estate: workbooks/spreadsheets, resumes (although I did this on a BlackBerry 9780 & Nokia E71i years ago when I have no computer and the later worked much better with the file on device/in-cloud).

Emails - can be managed on any device: composing/forwarding/replying, filing, adding attachments, etc. on iOS attaching emails already downloaded to an email you’re composing seems to be a mystery IF this can be done or not intuitive at all (even on iPadOS). Emails are not a good measure of choosing a single device or any. Mobile email has been around for over 2 decades now, a bad example.

Should the OP or anyone ever need to use their single device to remote control any desktop OS … a phone is NOT going to cut it, period!

Also and most critically … 12/13 mini for a single device.
- really other than surfing the internet, emails, extremely light word editing/composing, music listening, non-professional picture taking/video recording/creation/editing, iOS apps, turn by turn maps, calls iMessage/SMS, or social media (mostly apps really), these 2 devices is NOT the right choice. I LOVE my 12 mini, and I'm still likely to upgrade to the iPhone 13 mini and keep it for 4yrs minimum. But as a single device your screen-on-time (SOT) will be MUCH heavier than anyone typically would since every need for computing or internet etc will be on this device, and unfortunately even with the 13 mini's 1.5hrs average screen time battery life over the 12 mini, its just not enough. Also consider doing your taxes on mobile - this alone is a long process EVEN for someone unemployed+non-self employed and just claiming basic income - doing the taxes still has a lot of silly/dumb steps which you need to complete - I'd guess 20-30mins alone for basic filing. Convenient on mobile but with 13 mini's battery life is just not enough.

13 Pro/ 13 Pro Max if you're on iPhone is your best choice.
I still recommend iPad Mini 6 if you can manage that along with iPhone 13 Pro/Max.

Why would you upgrade your 12 Mini for a 13 and keep it for 4 years? Is there anything that the 13 can do that the 12 can’t? They seem like identical phones other than the rear camera placement. The A14 is so ridiculously powerful that it’ll cruise through the next 4 years. I was thinking about an Apple trade-in however I am unable to rationalise it as they are both basically the same phone.

Reactions: Barbareren

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why would you upgrade your 12 Mini for a 13 and keep it for 4 years? Is there anything that the 13 can do that the 12 can’t? They seem like identical phones other than the rear camera placement. The A14 is so ridiculously powerful that it’ll cruise through the next 4 years. I was thinking about an Apple trade-in however I am unable to rationalise it as they are both basically the same phone.
Much better cameras,
longer battery life,
faster cpu = longer iOS support down the road, critical since it’ll be THE LAST sub 5.5” iPhone made with edge to edge screen!
better chance of device upgrade via AC+ when cannot be replaced under reasonable time frame! Again from previous support scope timeline going forward.
more efficient cpu/gpu again better iOS update support longevit.

have a look at the iPhone 13 mini thread you’ll find a LOT of others upgraded from 12 mini for these same and other reasons. You’ll see they’re happier as well.

the only thing gravitating me to 13 Pro is drone control this late spring I have to consider.

Reactions: Andeddu

PackyP

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016
I went from 12 mini to 13 mini. If this really is the last phone of this size, I want to be able to use it for as long as possible.

elbert

Suspended
Jun 17, 2018
I don’t have a computer or tablet. I am considering the iPhone 13 mini because I love the smaller size, but it would be my only internet/media/communication/productivity device. Anyone here tried this?

I have read a lot of threads where mini is your phone but you have an iPad or computer that you use as well. Who here has an iPhone mini only? How does it work for you ?

I don’t watch movies or play games on my phone. Mostly music, internet, email, messaging, and reading. I am most concerned about typing. I don’t regularly type long documents (not a student), but I do type shorter messages quite often.

Thanks for any input.
Why not give it a try for 24 months then get back to us

Reactions: ericwn

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Much better cameras,
longer battery life,
faster cpu = longer iOS support down the road, critical since it’ll be THE LAST sub 5.5” iPhone made with edge to edge screen!
better chance of device upgrade via AC+ when cannot be replaced under reasonable time frame! Again from previous support scope timeline going forward.
more efficient cpu/gpu again better iOS update support longevit.

have a look at the iPhone 13 mini thread you’ll find a LOT of others upgraded from 12 mini for these same and other reasons. You’ll see they’re happier as well.

the only thing gravitating me to 13 Pro is drone control this late spring I have to consider.

Thanks for posting the benefits. I really like the form factor also and do not intend to go larger than the Mini either. A trade in right now to exchange my 12 for a 13 is probably worth it so I’ll have to think it over. The Mini is an awesome phone and I’d be happy to keep it until around 2025/26 also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.