Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I ordered the 13'' after having a 15'' for 6 years.. i hope i won't regret it ;)

But i mostly use it on my lap on the couch. And the 15'' got uncomfortable after a while, because it stopped the bloodflow and can't be used comfortably on one leg.

Hopefully this will be better with the 13'', because its lighter.

Plus: I prefer the looks of the 13''.
15'' looks like it has alot of wasted space around the keyboard.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Something to note.

The 2016 13" Touch bar had a battery capacity of 49.2 wh.

This has increased to 58 wh, an 18% increase. A much needed improvement given this is a 28w cpu spec'd laptop (which previously had around ~75 wh pre-2016).

I'd say 7.30 hours is pretty decent, but that is subjective. A lot of the other laptops it is being compared to are 15w cpu spec'd laptops (just FYI).

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Reactions: Topkat

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Would probably wait for more reviews on that one. Alot can go wrong with battery tests. And last year they tested the i5 and this year the i7.

And many reviewers agree, that Macbooks are running some heavy backgroundtasks in the first week of use.

I think that is about right, I mean 58wh battery using a 28w CPU I would imagine to realistically get around 7'ish hours of moderate use. To get 10 hours, you would have to have a discharge rate of 5.8wh, which doesn't leave much room to do much more than idle. If it was a 15w CPU, I'd say it would have been closer to 9 hours maybe...

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I think that is about right, I mean 58wh battery using a 28w CPU I would imagine to realistically get around 7'ish hours of moderate use. To get 10 hours, you would have to have a discharge rate of 5.8wh, which doesn't leave much room to do much more than idle. If it was a 15w CPU, I'd say it would have been closer to 9 hours maybe...

Yes but in their test from last year it was also a 28w CPU and it went 1h longer. Yes it has more cores now, but it also has a bigger battery. They also mention it in the review:

Last years's 13-inch Pro with a Core i5 CPU yielded 8:40 on this test. If we get our hands-on a Core i5 MacBook we'll see if that performs better.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Yes but in their test from last year it was also a 28w CPU and it went 1h longer. Yes it has more cores now, but it also has a bigger battery. They also mention it in the review:

Welll this is an i7 model rather than the i5 from last year plus more cores, and in a years time the tests may not behave identical if the browsers have had updates. What I was trying to get at is, there doesn't seem to be anything "off" about the test, it seems about right - you can get more or less depending on the intensity of the test. If the test returned 5 hours or 10 hours, I'd be more surprised!.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
I’ve been considering upgrading from my mid-2012 MacBook air for quite some time, and I think the new pros may have convinced me to finally pull the trigger.

I could use some advice trying to decide between the 13” and the 15” models.

If I went with the 13”, I would get the 2.3GHz i5 with 16GB of RAM and also the 512GB SSD. That’s priced at $2200. I could also upgrade that to the i7 processor for $300 more, but I’m not sure if that is a worthwhile upgrade.

If I went with the 15”, I would get the version with 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory, 512GBSSD - priced at $2799.

I’m currently a graduate student, and my air has served me well up to this point. I’m looking to dive more into photography and also hope to do some video editing in the near future, so I believe I’ll need a pro machine to better handle these tasks.

Although my budget is tight, I don’t mind spending a bit more money up front if it means my machine will last me longer. I maxed out my current air, and it is still going strong without any issues (aside from a recent battery replacement).

Portability is key for me, but I also value my screen real estate. Recently, I’ve found myself wishing I had a bit bigger screen when watching movies and trying to work with multiple windows open at a time. I plan to do a lot of traveling and working on the road. Since my current air weighs approximately 3 pounds, I don’t think it would feel like a huge burden to carry around a 4 pound, 15” Pro. I’m looking for a machine that can do it all and last as my primary computer for at least 5-6 years.

In your opinion, does it sound like the 13” or 15” 2018 Pro would best fit my needs?

Many thanks for your input!

Similar boat, laptop is primary computer.
2010 MBP15, then MBA13 currently 2013 rMBP13. Need 16GB so have to upgrade.

Neck is playing up from using laptop too much so I wonder if the 15" will alleviate some of that... I love the 13" size, but the 15" is temping to have two windows open at once (and 1440x900 native compared to 1280x800 native for my old eyes). 15" is ironically less portable, but possibly more usable when ported :D

Reactions: macintoshmac

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Just my .02 on this. I have used both the 13” and the 15” MacBook Pros. They both have reasons to exist and it really comes down to what works for you.

For me, I used the 15” for a few years then went to a 13”. I loved the portability of the 13” and it was easy to just carry around. However once I tried a 15” again, I realized what I was missing. The extra screen real estate was something I did not realize I missed so much. I could have items open in various windows and use swipes to get to what I needed. With the 13” every app was full screen 99% of the time and I was swiping a lot between windows/apps. Plus as was stated when the price was so close to a 15” compared to a beefed up 13” it makes it easier.

In terms of portability, the new 15” is only 4lbs and that is amazing. It’s the size of most windows 14” laptops. In terms of airplane use, personally I use an iPad or something ultra small and just zone out on emails or movies. Yes the 15” will fit, but I just don’t do much work like that. Some people travel a lot and work on the plane and a 15 will take up more space, but when you are in the hotel or a coffee shop or at home that space need is gone.

Just my .02 :)

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
For those choosing the 13”, keep in mind that battery life sucks this time. Laptopmag got only 7.30 hours in their tests.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-13-inch-with-touch-bar
I am getting different results. This is my battery info after using the Mac for part of the day, light use - Safari, YouTube, iTunes, and Evernote.

It's actually pretty great. And this is the i7 model. This is after a few days of use - the dust has likely settled as far as indexing and the like.

BTW I have no idea why the i7 would have different battery life than the i5. They are architecturally identical and both idle down to the same 1.2 GHz, almost never ramping up to even base clock. Unless you're doing compiling/encoding/etc the battery life should be pretty good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 8.52.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 8.52.52 PM.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 257

toffz

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
How is the 13” for full stack web development? Will I need to get i7 13”? Or just go 15” for power assuming the screen size isn’t an issue?

cd34957

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2018
I have been struggling with the same question. I have a MBP 13 2014 that needs an upgrade and the latest computers are perfect. The new 13 is smaller than mine and .5lb lighter, and the new 15 is larger, but not significantly and only .5lb heavier. I travel extensively so portability is an issue, but it's also the only machine I work on and I'm considering the larger screen just to make life easier. I went to look at the new 15 tonight, and I'm leaning that way. They are both quite attractive. Tough call.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I ended up getting the 15" 2.6 GHz Core i7 with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. I was initially leaning toward the 13", but went with what I did for 3 reasons:

1. Coming from a 12" MacBook, I didn't think the 13" would feel that much bigger.
  2. I really wanted at least 16 GB of RAM, but it's a BTO option and I would have had to wait for it and I was getting ready for some extensive travel.
  3. I get a corporate discount and the impact on my wallet was a little more palatable.
Ultimately, I'm really happy with the extra screen real estate and speed. It'll likely spend most of its time on my desk connected to the LG UltraFine 4K display and my 12" MacBook will be what I pack around when I need to take a computer with me. But it's nice to have the option to have such a powerful computer with a big screen to take when I need to.

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
If the MacBook going to be your only computer I would say 15".
Otherwise I think a good Desktop + 12" MacBook are unbeatable.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
If the MacBook going to be your only laptop I would say 15".
Otherwise I think a good Desktop + 12" MacBook are unbeatable.

I have been thinking similarly, selling my 13" and getting the new 12" when they get released, and supplementing that with a desktop. However, that approach means having two computers to upgrade at different times, and that will take a good toll on the wallet. :D

With that in mind, perhaps a 13" with eGPU and an external monitor sound better for desktop use as well as portability when needed.

Decisions, decisions !

Last edited:

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
I have been thinking similarly, selling my 13" and getting the new 12" when they get released, and supplementing that with a desktop. However, that approach means having two computers to upgrade at different times, and that will take a good toll on the wallet. :D

With that in mind, perhaps a 13" with eGPU and an external monitor sound better for desktop use as well as portability when needed.

Decisions, decisions !

TBH I just sold my 2017 12" and get 2018 13". Because it was painful to drive the 4k/60Hz with the 12". My FaceTime calls dropped many times in this setup due to CPU performance, even YouTube doesn't work smoothly on the external monitor...

That been said, the 12" is definitely the future. The footprint is much much portable compare to the 13". For now I will keep the 13" for my portable laptop.

I also got a Vega 56 last week and the Akito enclosure is on the way. My only concern is the stability of the eGPU thing. It looks so good on the paper. But probably not as handy in reality (also the noise). I will see...

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I’ve been considering upgrading from my mid-2012 MacBook air for quite some time, and I think the new pros may have convinced me to finally pull the trigger.

I could use some advice trying to decide between the 13” and the 15” models.

If I went with the 13”, I would get the 2.3GHz i5 with 16GB of RAM and also the 512GB SSD. That’s priced at $2200. I could also upgrade that to the i7 processor for $300 more, but I’m not sure if that is a worthwhile upgrade.

If I went with the 15”, I would get the version with 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory, 512GBSSD - priced at $2799.

I’m currently a graduate student, and my air has served me well up to this point. I’m looking to dive more into photography and also hope to do some video editing in the near future, so I believe I’ll need a pro machine to better handle these tasks.

Although my budget is tight, I don’t mind spending a bit more money up front if it means my machine will last me longer. I maxed out my current air, and it is still going strong without any issues (aside from a recent battery replacement).

Portability is key for me, but I also value my screen real estate. Recently, I’ve found myself wishing I had a bit bigger screen when watching movies and trying to work with multiple windows open at a time. I plan to do a lot of traveling and working on the road. Since my current air weighs approximately 3 pounds, I don’t think it would feel like a huge burden to carry around a 4 pound, 15” Pro. I’m looking for a machine that can do it all and last as my primary computer for at least 5-6 years.

In your opinion, does it sound like the 13” or 15” 2018 Pro would best fit my needs?

Many thanks for your input!
15 incher, for sure.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I've been using a 15" since the 2013 retina model. With the 13" now being quad-core, I tried the 13" i7/16GB/1TB for 3 days but ultimately missed the dGPU and larger screen. I exchanged it for the 15" 2.6/512GB/560X which is the same price and I couldn't be happier.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I'm a student and I just picked up my 15" i7 today. With DDR4 RAM, 16 GB of RAM and a graphics card, it just seemed well worth it.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I ordered the 13'' after having a 15'' for 6 years.. i hope i won't regret it ;)

But i mostly use it on my lap on the couch. And the 15'' got uncomfortable after a while, because it stopped the bloodflow and can't be used comfortably on one leg.

I agree--the 15 inch is unwieldy on the couch. I've found the 13 inch to be a much more comfortable experience.
[doublepost=1532390237][/doublepost]
I'm a student and I just picked up my 15" i7 today. With DDR4 RAM, 16 GB of RAM and a graphics card, it just seemed well worth it.
Enjoy it!
[doublepost=1532390530][/doublepost]
I am getting different results. This is my battery info after using the Mac for part of the day, light use - Safari, YouTube, iTunes, and Evernote.

It's actually pretty great. And this is the i7 model. This is after a few days of use - the dust has likely settled as far as indexing and the like.

BTW I have no idea why the i7 would have different battery life than the i5. They are architecturally identical and both idle down to the same 1.2 GHz, almost never ramping up to even base clock. Unless you're doing compiling/encoding/etc the battery life should be pretty good.
If I can squeeze 7.5 to 8 hours out of heavy use of Word, Outlook, Safari, and Notes while running a VPN I consider it a good day. Apple's 10 hour battery claim is just using Safari and iTunes (movies and music). If that is all you are going to do all day, might as well just do it on an iPad.

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
For those with the 15in model, how comfortable is it to use on an airplane in economy (not economy plus)? The 15in model is tempting but that is my #1 reservation

jiangning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
For those with the 15in model, how comfortable is it to use on an airplane in economy (not economy plus)? The 15in model is tempting but that is my #1 reservation

I had 15” and now switched to 13”. This is my #1 reason to switch. I wouldn’t bother using 15” on a flight. It takes up most if not all space of the tiny flimsy seatback table, leaving no room for a cup . Also if the person ahead reclines the seat, the screen couldn’t even flip 90 degrees so you can’t see things on screen. Anyway, such a pain in...

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
I had 15” and now switched to 13”. This is my #1 reason to switch. I wouldn’t bother using 15” on a flight. It takes up most if not all space of the tiny flimsy seatback table, leaving no room for a cup . Also if the person ahead reclines the seat, the screen couldn’t even flip 90 degrees so you can’t see things on screen. Anyway, such a pain in...

Thanks - it's what I thought - will stick with waiting for the 13in version to come.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'd be keen to see if the 13" throttles badly or not.

Given its now a quad core and the discrete GPUs built into all the Apple machines are crap anyway (and GPUs on battery are also crap anyway), i'd get the 13" and a thunderbolt enclosure.

Stick something decent in the thunderbolt enclosure, maybe save up for a Vega or grab an Nvidia card of your choice.

Even with a Vega 64, thunderbolt box and a 13" macbook pro you'll still come in under the budget of a high end 15" and it will be faster at anything video related for sure. While on AC power at least.

It will be more portable when not on AC power and not trying to do GPU heavy work.

edit:
As above, usage when on the go in aircraft, etc. the 15"s are just too big to use on a tray table.. That was also a reason i went for a 13" last time around after lugging my 15" through europe. It just wasn't really usable in transit.

If you can get by with an iPad or something in transit (which you may be able to do, depending on what you want to do on the plane) the 15" would be less of an issue these days.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

I can now do a follow up on this, since i got it yesterday.

It's definitely a better experience for me to use the 13'' on my lap. Takes much longer to get uncomfortable and can easily be used on one leg. But it can still get heavy after a while.

So far not missing the size of the 15''. For serious work i need bigger and more than one monitor anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.