Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
But its too big to haul around. 🤷🏻 My 14" shipped a few hours ago, so I will at least give a try :)
Agreed. The 14 is already up there in size. My 16/40 runs cool and only gets warm with fans running when I do extreme intensive tasks like Lightroom AI noise reduction. My old M1 does a 50mp raw in 2 min, M2 pro=40 sec, M3 max=18 sec. This thing is fast.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I don't understand why we maxing out the 14" mbp. It can't disperse the heat as the 16" and previous generations were throttled to avoid overheating.
It's not like the 16" is silent when pushing the CPU + GPU to the limit. Both 14" and 16" will spin up the fans then, due to the larger case the 16" has better cooling and is less noisy than the 14" with the same load. And while it's not Intel level annoying, it's still audible and somewhat annoying when it's sitting on the desk. In the end it's just physics.

Spooky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
How hard does the the cpu need to be working to get the fans going? I was about to pull the trigger on an M3 Max 16" that will be used for for music production, but this fan noise discussion has me hesitating, as that is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from my Intel MacBook to get away from the fan noise. I would buy one and test it, but unfortunately in Sweden apples return policy is that I cannot return it after the package is opened. @GrumpyCoder @richard371

Last edited:

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2010
Agreed. The 14 is already up there in size. My 16/40 runs cool and only gets warm with fans running when I do extreme intensive tasks like Lightroom AI noise reduction. My old M1 does a 50mp raw in 2 min, M2 pro=40 sec, M3 max=18 sec. This thing is fast.
Yeah the denoising time is hilarious isn't it, between 15-20 seconds here for 61mpx raws. Insane :)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Just did some testing on low power mode and the MBP performs more like a non Max pro model. Fans were silent and not >2500 rpm or hotter then 85C. I ran 8-50mp images through Denise AI and it took about 35sec each vs 15. Geekbench 6 was 2050 single core and 15332 multi. Ill leave it on automatic but it nice knowing I can make it behave more like the pro model without the noise and heat if needed. It's great to have the extra power esp with the AI stuff. If you want to run it as a game machine on your lap maybe the 16 is a better option. For me I'm very pleases with the 14" 16/40 Max

Reactions: Filmx and LenardG

Spooky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Just did some testing on low power mode and the MBP performs more like a non Max pro model. Fans were silent and not >2500 rpm or hotter then 85C. I ran 8-50mp images through Denise AI and it took about 35sec each vs 15. Geekbench 6 was 2050 single core and 15332 multi. Ill leave it on automatic but it nice knowing I can make it behave more like the pro model without the noise and heat if needed. It's great to have the extra power esp with the AI stuff. If you want to run it as a game machine on your lap maybe the 16 is a better option. For me I'm very pleases with the 14" 16/40 Max
Thanks for this! That's great to know, this information has given me the comfort to go ahead with the M3 Max knowing that I can tone down the fans and heat if needed, but still have full power when that's needed as well.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks for this! That's great to know, this information has given me the comfort to go ahead with the M3 Max knowing that I can tone down the fans and heat if needed, but still have full power when that's needed as well.
Exactly. the cpu goes from 4.05 to 2.61ghz

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I have the 14" M3 Max 16/40 64gb 1TB and i can confirm the fan noise and boy the heat being pushed out. I was rendering a small clip in topaz AI and the idle temp is 40'c with 0 RPM and after 10-20 seconds, the temp pushes to 70'c with fans at 5k rpm or more like a jet engine. the laptop was on my lap and i had to lift the laptop up and it was like hot hot under. I waited for render to finish and temp went down faster than the fans. I did see Luke Miani do the test on his youtube channel and confirmed the same with the fan noise. I am wondering if 16" is better with fan and temp management. I also am sitting on couch and doing some editing etc and if the fans kick up like that all the time, its going to be annoying.

I don't know about the prior models and if any fan/heat issues occurred since I'm jumping from my m1 mbp to this 14" m3 max. So this is new to me.

One of the selling points for Silicon Mac is that they are dead silent. So not anymore from now on?

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2010
Don't want to hijack this thread in anyway but I'd just add that on my 16 inch, I've also noticed a lot more noise compared with my M1 Pro model. When doing basic tasks I thankfully never hear the fans still, but as soon as I boot up a game or start stressing the GPU in Lightroom, the fans will ramp up and be audible. This is very different to how the M1 series behaved where it'd be almost impossible to get the fans to come on audibly.

I do kind of miss the silence of my old laptop, but I think it's worth the trade off for the big gains in performance.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Don't want to hijack this thread in anyway but I'd just add that on my 16 inch, I've also noticed a lot more noise compared with my M1 Pro model. When doing basic tasks I thankfully never hear the fans still, but as soon as I boot up a game or start stressing the GPU in Lightroom, the fans will ramp up and be audible. This is very different to how the M1 series behaved where it'd be almost impossible to get the fans to come on audibly.

I do kind of miss the silence of my old laptop, but I think it's worth the trade off for the big gains in performance.
Are you on low or high power mode in the battery setting when you ran your task? It seems no fan noise at 2k-3k rpm on my 14" on lower power. However, I was doing some export in davinci resolve and notice fan noise towards the end of the encoding on higher power. It seems maybe apps need to be optimized to use the m3.

Reactions: Filmx

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
One of the selling points for Silicon Mac is that they are dead silent. So not anymore from now on?
They never were, M1 Max, M2 Max all make fan noise, if they are silent then you are not pushing them hard enough ;)

And I don’t mean benchmarking do some 3d, Ai stuff or probably games (did not try any yet).

The only silent one is the Air.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
On Lower power mode,

No GPU stays silent even after 20min of Cinebench 2024 on the GPU but if you do the CPU test it makes noise within like 2 min.

Also in 20 min the GPU did not go over 86 or so degrees, the CPU however does not take like to hi 105 and fans ramp up to like 50% or so and it settles at like 100 degrees.

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
They never were, M1 Max, M2 Max all make fan noise, if they are silent then you are not pushing them hard enough ;)

And I don’t mean benchmarking do some 3d, Ai stuff or probably games (did not try any yet).

This. The fan noise on my 16" M1 Max and 14" M2 Max are part of the reason I was like "well maybe I do still need a desktop". Heavy work loads will make the fans spin up whether it's the 16" or 14" models.

Reactions: l0stl0rd

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017

What about Pro? Also wouldn't 16 inch M3 pro have the performance of 16 M1 Max but be quieter?

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Great video to compare the MAX 14'' and 16".

Max Tech compares 14" and 16" MAX MBP
Looks pretty rushed but it's something. I'm surprised they don't have the GPU info up in MX Power Gadget. You can turn on GPU frequency and utilization under the settings so he could see what's going on instead of speculating. They finally mentioned that the 14" is capped at a lower power though he didn't really follow that thought through after saying the 14" wasn't reaching max temps. The lower power limit is why the 14" Max models are throttling compared to the 16" when you're using it with loads that use CPU+GPU (or Neural engines). Still Apple is definitely letting the 14" M3 Max hit higher power targets in certain loads than they were the M1/M2 Max variants in High Power mode from the bit of testing I did with the binned Max models. In Topaz Video AI they are much, much closer in speed. Previously there was minimal differences in speed between an M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2 Max in the 14" with that software because of power constraints.

Last edited:

brooklyn360

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Make sense. The Mac Studio will even run cooler. For me the 16 is just too large and heavy so I'll take the sacrifices and chose the 14". When I do heavy stuff it's plugged in anyway. Everyone has a different use case.

I agree but it seems that the M3 pro with upgraded memory will work better on the 14" mbp than the MAX would.
It just doesn't seem right that you paid all that moolah for the best chip and get less production and less battery than advertised.

Reactions: tekksan

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I agree but it seems that the M3 pro with upgraded memory will work better on the 14" mbp than the MAX would.
It just doesn't seem right that you paid all that moolah for the best chip and get less production and less battery than advertised.
This is where I beg to differ. I'm replacing my m2 Pro because 16 GB want cutting it for me. The m3 pro is very comparable in speed so if I decided to get something faster also. The m3max 14 is fast. It takes 15 sec to denoise photos vs 40 and the m2 pro. It's definitely faster. Most stuff I run on battery runs cool no fans. Ive put it though some tests running Xplane 2 and the fans ran at 5200 RPM and it didn't bother me. I had everything cranked up and its nice. I just have no desire in the 16". At that size and weight, it would stay docked all the time and I would be better off with a Mac studio. The 16 has always out performed the 14 with the max chips but the M3 max far out performs the pro from my testing.

Reactions: Filmx

Filmx

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
Yes I was plugged in (coming from a 16” , I always had on high power mode) , I’ve now changed it to automatic mode, will be testing over next few days to see. As I agree I know that’s part of the intention of the mode , though 16” chassis never heard. And reviews of M1 and M2 14” never seemed to be overly loud.

All I had was Xcode open, and the SwiftUi preview just chilling, wasn’t even interacting.

My house is not heated as well, this was in the morning and 67 degrees Fahrenheit on a cold table.

I wanna know if anyone has the 14 core CPU , 30 core GPU 14” and how they find their fan.
I'm also curious about the 14/30 M3 Max fan noise vs the 16/40. I have the 14" 16/40 coming next week and I'm having second thoughts about my config and 14" vs 16".

Filmx

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
This is where I beg to differ. I'm replacing my m2 Pro because 16 GB want cutting it for me. The m3 pro is very comparable in speed so if I decided to get something faster also. The m3max 14 is fast. It takes 15 sec to denoise photos vs 40 and the m2 pro. It's definitely faster. Most stuff I run on battery runs cool no fans. Ive put it though some tests running Xplane 2 and the fans ran at 5200 RPM and it didn't bother me. I had everything cranked up and its nice. I just have no desire in the 16". At that size and weight, it would stay docked all the time and I would be better off with a Mac studio. The 16 has always out performed the 14 with the max chips but the M3 max far out performs the pro from my testing.
Are you running yours docked with an external display? I'm wondering if there are any docked cooling solutions that help dissipate heat better. Or having the laptop open vs. closed, etc. My current setup is a vertical dock with my 13" M1 MBP with the fans at the "top" (mac logo upside down). The fans are fairly audible during most intensive tasks, Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, etc. but I'm worried the 14" M3 Max 16/40 I have on order will be significantly louder based on what I've read. Now I'm rethinking my config and whether I should get the 16" before my 14" M3 Max arrives next week.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Sometimes it's docked to a 4k 27" etc no issues. It will be louder the 16 in very heavy tasks but so far I have not had any deal breakers. I can exchange until Jan but I love the size of the 14. I handled the 16" monolith at the Apple Store and passed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.