Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
$1000 (Costco) seems like a pretty darn good deal right now on the 15" M2 8/256 MBA. Rumors have the M3 around the corner, but I don't see it getting to the $1000 price for some time. Coming from my current 13" M1 2020 8/256 MBA, would waiting for the M3 be worth doing? Or just jump on the 15" M2 now? Thanks!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Screw it, I ordered a base model from Costco. I'll keep tabs though on any upcoming M3 announcements just in case :) I just hope it doesn't feel "too big" compared to my M1 13" MBA.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
You'll love it. It's a fantastic machine and that's a great price for it. M3 won't offer much more over the M2 in terms of day-to-day usability for the type of things that most people use a MacBook Air for.

I need two external displays so had to go with an M1Pro for work. Otherwise, this would be my main machine. It's a near perfect laptop.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Best laptop I've ever owned (in 16/1). Then again, it might be about to get even better....
I have that spec in 13", but agree it is by far the best laptop I've ever owned, out of several MBPs/MBAs... An M3 would be cool, but I fully expect the "M" processors to be numbered in double digits before this one needs replacing.

Reactions: Scarrus and dmk1974

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Screw it, I ordered a base model from Costco. I'll keep tabs though on any upcoming M3 announcements just in case :) I just hope it doesn't feel "too big" compared to my M1 13" MBA.
It is a great deal if the RAM and storage requirements work for you and you are looking for the larger size. Also great to get it at Costco as you do get a 90 Day return window so if the new ones are something more than just a slight processor bump you will be able to return it and get one of those.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah, I've never had an issue that I noticed with any of the prior MacBooks with 8 GB RAM over the past 13 years (thus far). Mostly office, browsing, etc. My kids got the 13" M2 in summer 2022 before heading to college and it was initially where I was leaning, but I'm hoping the larger 15.3" screen may eliminate my need to throw on my readers like with my 13" M1.

My work laptop (Windows) has 32gb RAM and needs every bit of it for some CAD and engineering apps, and may need an upgrade to 64gb actually!

Reactions: smirking

profH

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
Let us know what you think when you get it! The smaller sized, lighter weight MBAs are definitely appealing — and at 13.6” no slouches in display area, either!
There are times when it feels too big (an airplane, in bed) and times when it doesn't (like, all other times). It is notably -light- ; much lighter than the POS 15" Butterfly MacBook Pros. So much so that it still feels comfortable to close it and pick it up with one hand like a 13in MBA, and unlike the 16" Pros.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Question: Do you guys use the Magsafe to charge the M2 or just a USB-C charger? The latter I have a little dock connector for my M1 13" that would be convenient to continue to use with this 15" M2 MBA. Thanks.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks again for the replies. I actually had ordered 2 of them (one silver and one space gray) with one arriving Friday and the other Monday. Been on the space gray color for a number of years now, but was thinking maybe going "old school" with the silver. We'll see. Just want them to deliver already! :)

Reactions: leftyMac

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
If you needed alot of power, you would have been looking at the MBP line.

So I'd say go for it and make use of the discount.

Reactions: dmk1974

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
My 13.6" M2 MBA (8/256) is the best computer I have ever owned. Costco deal sounds like a good one, especially if you want the extra 15" screen real estate. You can't go wrong.

As others have said, the M3 upgrade is emanate. I doubt it will make a noticeable difference in the day to day use that the OP described. There might be a few other upgrades to the internal specs, but I would not expect anything major. After the M3 upgrade, it might be a while before the deep discounts return to the MBA line. There will be deals, but probably not as deep. Go for it and enjoy.

I went with silver BTW because I wanted the retro look.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
$1000 (Costco) seems like a pretty darn good deal right now on the 15" M2 8/256 MBA. Rumors have the M3 around the corner, but I don't see it getting to the $1000 price for some time. Coming from my current 13" M1 2020 8/256 MBA, would waiting for the M3 be worth doing? Or just jump on the 15" M2 now? Thanks!
No M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it. To add insult to injury, the 256GB SSD on standard M2 Macs (as well as the 512GB SSD on M2 Pro/Max Macs) is hobbled with an SSD that is slower than even that of a T2 Intel Mac. Go for, at the minimum, something with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD (1TB if M2 Pro/Max).

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
No M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it. To add insult to injury, the 256GB SSD on standard M2 Macs (as well as the 512GB SSD on M2 Pro/Max Macs) is hobbled with an SSD that is slower than even that of a T2 Intel Mac. Go for, at the minimum, something with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD (1TB if M2 Pro/Max).
Op has a work laptop with 32GB of RAM and ample storage. Sweeping generalizations don't account for different users and different uses. My base M2 MBA does everything I need. Zero problems. Buttery smooth. Millions and Millions of people use these base spec MacBooks everyday for college, office, and home. They are the most popular configurations and enjoy high customer satisfaction. You can also get outstanding deals on them because they are produced in such large quantities.

But, none of that matters I guess because "no M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it".

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Op has a work laptop with 32GB of RAM and ample storage. Sweeping generalizations don't account for different users and different uses. My base M2 MBA does everything I need. Zero problems. Buttery smooth. Millions and Millions of people use these base spec MacBooks everyday for college, office, and home. They are the most popular configurations and enjoy high customer satisfaction. You can also get outstanding deals on them because they are produced in such large quantities.

But, none of that matters I guess because "no M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it".
First off, a work laptop is not one's own computer. It belongs to the company one works for 99 times out of 100.

Second off, there are a plethora of expert opinions from people whose job it is to not only write about these machines, but to use the hell out of them; they all say the same thing: 8GB is not enough in 2024, nor was it in 2023 nor 2022.

Third off, just because it doesn't give you resistance and gives you the feeling of doing everything you need it to do, the odds are extremely decent that you are operating with enough memory pressure that you are swapping to disk frequently and are wearing out your SSD faster than if you had 16GB of RAM. Apple Silicon does a great job of not making the speed penalty of that at all noticeable. However, it also does a substantially better job than most Intel Macs (save for those with the T2 chip) of not being at all upgradeable. So, you might not feel like you're wearing out your SSD or running out of RAM, but you are. Customer satisfaction doesn't take this into account because most Mac users out there don't even know what an SSD even is and only bought the less expensive 8GB configurations because (a) they were cheaper and (b) they didn't require going to Apple's site to do a CTO order.

Fourth off, it's 2024, a computer with a processor from 2020 should not be selling for $999 and only coming with 8GB. A computer with a processor from 2022 should not be selling for $1199 and only coming with 8GB. A "Pro"/Professional grade model with a processor from 2023 should not be selling for $1699 and only coming with 8GB. Cite customer satisfaction all you want; that doesn't make it remotely optimal nor an even remotely good value.

But, none of that matters I guess because the base M2 MBA does everything YOU need.

And yes, I have extensive experience with 8GB Apple Silicon configurations. Give one to someone in a pinch and they'll suffice. But for the long haul? Forget about it.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
First off, a work laptop is not one's own computer. It belongs to the company one works for 99 times out of 100.

Second off, there are a plethora of expert opinions from people whose job it is to not only write about these machines, but to use the hell out of them; they all say the same thing: 8GB is not enough in 2024, nor was it in 2023 nor 2022.

Third off, just because it doesn't give you resistance and gives you the feeling of doing everything you need it to do, the odds are extremely decent that you are operating with enough memory pressure that you are swapping to disk frequently and are wearing out your SSD faster than if you had 16GB of RAM. Apple Silicon does a great job of not making the speed penalty of that at all noticeable. However, it also does a substantially better job than most Intel Macs (save for those with the T2 chip) of not being at all upgradeable. So, you might not feel like you're wearing out your SSD or running out of RAM, but you are. Customer satisfaction doesn't take this into account because most Mac users out there don't even know what an SSD even is and only bought the less expensive 8GB configurations because (a) they were cheaper and (b) they didn't require going to Apple's site to do a CTO order.

Fourth off, it's 2024, a computer with a processor from 2020 should not be selling for $999 and only coming with 8GB. A computer with a processor from 2022 should not be selling for $1199 and only coming with 8GB. A "Pro"/Professional grade model with a processor from 2023 should not be selling for $1699 and only coming with 8GB. Cite customer satisfaction all you want; that doesn't make it remotely optimal nor an even remotely good value.

But, none of that matters I guess because the base M2 MBA does everything YOU need.

And yes, I have extensive experience with 8GB Apple Silicon configurations. Give one to someone in a pinch and they'll suffice. But for the long haul? Forget about it.
First off, the fact that the Op has a work computer that satisfies his heavy lifting needs is in fact important because it relates to the less pressing requirements he has for his personal computer.

Second off, of people have opinions about 8GB, many of which are running stupid speed and swap tests….. but the proof is in the pudding and people use these computers everyday to do actual work and studies without problems.

Third off, this swap memory thing has been completely debunked. Most people keep their laptops for 5 or so years and they will be just fine.

Fourth off, what matters is how people use their computers and if it performs smoothly and meets their requirements. All the rest is just BS. Just searching for problems that don’t exist.

Last edited:

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
wearing out your SSD faster than if you had 16GB of RAM
SSD wear of today is a non-issue. Do some research. In the past SSD wear was an issue but the technology has improved significantly over the years. The laptop will likely be non-supported and the battery worn out before the SSD.
base M2 MBA does everything YOU need
So then it is not a problem for the individual owning the machine. For those that need more, buy more more memory and storage.
Fourth off, it's 2024, a computer with a processor from 2020 should not be selling for $999 and only coming with 8GB. A computer with a processor from 2022 should not be selling for $1199 and only coming with 8GB
Why? Because you say so? Tens of thousands of people have purchased machines with 8 GB and are doing just fine with that configuration. The overwhelming majority of users are not using the machine for anything that requires major storage and memory. Why pay for what they don't need?
wearing out your SSD or running out of RAM
I was importing about 4K pictures into Lightroom. I have 16 GB. The CPU was at 100% the entire time of the import. Memory pressure never got out of the green. Yet the system monitor still showed that swapped was being used. CPU was the limiting factor, not memory. Memory was never an issue on my 8 GB M1 Air doing comparable imports.

Truth be told you have no idea how swap is being used or why swap is being used. In many cases it is because of memory. In cases such as mine swap was not being used because of memory pressure. I suspect Apple knows more about memory management than you will ever know.

For SSD wear there is this article.

Your typical SSD will survive many years of typical home use before it is at a considerable risk of failure. Exactly how long it'll last depends largely on how much data is written to the drive, as well as the drive's age and the ambient conditions. Anecdotally, asking around the How-to Geek office, none of us have ever had an SSD die on us --- and we're putting way more miles on our computer components than the average person is.

Sort of blows your entire assertion about SSD wear out of the water.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.