Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
What’s happened here? The 15 Pro looks like digital zoom v Optical on the Plus...

Think it’s to do with the minimum focus distance. The 48mp lens on the plus seems to focus quicker onto the subject and can get closer and keep the full 48mp resolution with a much cleaner shot, the pro wanted to jump to the 12mp ultra wide macro mode which is only 12mp (which I disabled) for the shot of the bluebells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Maybe the difference is more stark to some people but honestly after using both side by side the difference isn’t as big as some make out. Apples optimisation makes 60hz look smoother than it should otherwise be.

What apple optimization? This is another made up thing akin to "safari feels snapper". 60Hz is 60Hz, you're right that some people are more sensitive to it, but it's driven by the screens those people use most of the time. Other than my watch, I don't interface with any 60Hz screens in my daily, and the difference is experience changing for me.

Irish1020

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2020
Sioux City iowa
What apple optimization? This is another made up thing akin to "safari feels snapper". 60Hz is 60Hz, you're right that some people are more sensitive to it, but it's driven by the screens those people use most of the time. Other than my watch, I don't interface with any 60Hz screens in my daily, and the difference is experience changing for me.
What phone do you currently use?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK

Isn’t that obvious? Apple design the hardware and software to work in harmony and pretty flawlessly. Using both the 15 Pro & 15 Plus side by side the difference isn’t huge.

However there is a significant difference between the 60hz 15 Plus and my mums 60hz android phone for example, which is awful to use in comparison and a different experience.

Some people may not be as sensitive to the 60hz vs 120hz, I must be one of those lol.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Isn’t that obvious? Apple design the hardware and software to work in harmony and pretty flawlessly. Using both the 15 Pro & 15 Plus side by side the difference isn’t huge.

However there is a significant difference between the 60hz 15 Plus and my mums 60hz android phone for example, which is awful to use in comparison and a different experience.

Some people may not be as sensitive to the 60hz vs 120hz, I must be one of those lol.

No mate. Apple designing hardware and software doesn't trump physics and frame times. I guess it depends which Android models you're comparing to, and like you say how sensitive your eyes are to refresh rate differences (mainly driven by what you use most of the time). For me, the difference using my 13 Pro and my kids' XS for example is huge and frankly not the experience I'd accept on a daily driver.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
No mate. Apple designing hardware and software doesn't trump physics and frame times. I guess it depends which Android models you're comparing to, and like you say how sensitive your eyes are to refresh rate differences (mainly driven by what you use most of the time). For me, the difference using my 13 Pro and my kids' XS for example is huge and frankly not the experience I'd accept on a daily driver.

Would it matter which android phones as you said further up “60hz is 60hz” when clearly all are not equal? Apple seem to be able to trump physics & frames to a certain degree with what must be software optimisation?

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Would it matter which android phones as you said further up “60hz is 60hz” when clearly all are not equal? Apple seem to be able to trump physics & frames to a certain degree with what must be software optimisation?

It would, because some of the mid range droids actually don't maintain 60Hz. While I agree that iPhones do, the difference between 60 and 120 Hz on iPhones and iPads is enormous.

Reactions: James6s
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.