Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Anyone else experiencing a minor issue where their 16" MBP doesn't wake up automatically when opening the lid? Pressing keys on the keyboard doesn't seem to wake it up either. The only thing that wakes up my computer up (from sleep) is pressing the physical power button. At first I thought it was powering down or something, but it wakes right up within a second and is ready to go after hitting the power button.

Reactions: Leoren

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
This has been happening occasionally with my MacBook Air. The first time I thought my screen died. It’s a minor annoyance that will probably (maybe?)be fixed with an update.

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Interesting, is it something that only started happening to you on Catalina? Definitely agree it's not a big deal, just weird haha.

Leoren

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2019
Anyone else experiencing a minor issue where their 16" MBP doesn't wake up automatically when opening the lid? Pressing keys on the keyboard doesn't seem to wake it up either. The only thing that wakes up my computer up (from sleep) is pressing the physical power button. At first I thought it was powering down or something, but it wakes right up within a second and is ready to go after hitting the power button.
Thanks a lot for this thread. I have exactly the same thing happens to me for my 16" MBP. It helps a lot to know that it's not just my unit and probably just a software glitch of Catalina.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks a lot for this thread. I have exactly the same thing happens to me for my 16" MBP. It helps a lot to know that it's not just my unit and probably just a software glitch of Catalina.
I have this too and it’s most likely Catalina. The OS is riddled with bugs

Reactions: simonmet

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Same thing started happening recently with my 2018 13” MBP. I assume it’s software related since it’s affecting so many of us with different hardware.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I had this issue on my 2017 Macbook. It was OS related and a clean install fixed it.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I think it's only when it's gone into proper longer term sleep that this happens, if just close lid and open it again after a minute or two it wakes normally. So the sensor clearly works, but if it's been over half hour or something then it seems to usually need the power button to wake it.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Yes, I have also had this issue. If a leave a Fusion VM open it happens 100% of the time. Otherwise much less frequently.

As you say opening the lid or pressing the "Fn" button does not work, a short press on the power button seems to do the trick although I have sometimes have to wait up to 10 sec for everything to come on.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Stupid question I guess, but what does "pmset -g" show ?

lidwake 1 ?

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
I found this thread because I noticed my 2020 MBA started not waking up automatically after I open the lid. It just started doing this about 70% of the time. I have to press the touchID button to wake it. Pressing anything else does not work. So...no solutions found yet?

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
I found this thread because I noticed my 2020 MBA started not waking up automatically after I open the lid. It just started doing this about 70% of the time. I have to press the touchID button to wake it. Pressing anything else does not work. So...no solutions found yet?
same situation here (MBA as well...I know we're technically in MBP discussion but it seems to be more software anyway)

Markalb

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
Had same problem with my new MacBook Pro but fixed it by the Apple alternative method for computers with T2 chip to reset SMC. Shutdown laptop then hold down power button for 10 seconds, you will see the Apple logo appear for a few seconds, wait a few seconds then restart the laptop it will startup as usual. I tested the laptop by closing the lid waiting awhile and over night and it started as it should when I opened the lid or touched a key. At the same time before it was fixed I was losing over 10% of power overnight but now it has stayed at 100%.

Last edited:

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Had same problem with my new MacBook Pro but fixed it by the Apple alternative method for computers wit T2 chip to reset SMC. Shutdown laptop then hold down power button for 10 seconds, you will see the Apple logo appear for a few seconds, wait a few seconds then restart the laptop it will startup as usual. I tested the laptop by closing the lid waiting awhile and over night and it started as it should when I opened the lid or touched a key. At the same time before it was fixed I was losing over 10% of power overnight but now it has stayed at 100%.
Sadly, this does not work on my MacBook -- its screen only turns on sometimes when I open the lid to wake it from sleep :(

Last edited:

Markalb

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
That’s unfortunate. I have had no issues with my MacBook waking from sleep since resetting the SMC.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
This thread's been up for a while- odd that no one's found a cause/solution. Same behavior from my 2020 MBP 13". Sometimes it wakes on lift, sometimes it doesn't and I have to push the power button.

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
I started having this issue after I had my 16-inch MBP display and trackpad replaced a couple of months ago. Before that it was fine (could press any key or open lid to wake). Now I have to press the power button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.