Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I think an 18" XDR-type screen with Pro Motion and the same proportional specs would be very expensive.

It would most likely be cut from the same motherglass as the 16 and 14" screen which should make it about 30% more expensive. But that isn't what was discussed and there is no question that such a MacBook would come at a hefty premium for the user to pay.

The discussion was about how expensive the development would be and I stand by my point unless the go crazy with the specs that it wouldn't be prohibitively bad.

Reactions: Onimusha370

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Before switching to Apple devices, I used to own a 17” laptop that I had bought for some game dev and gaming needs.
Not a monster hardware-wise - but the weight was awful.

As a desktop replacement I would maybe consider something like that again but not as a device I actually take with me.
For a device to take with me, I don’t think I’ll ever buy anything bigger than 14” again.

I'm quite happy with the 16 but I'm mostly at home with it.

I would consider a 16 inch Air for casual use and travel. I just don't see a 17 or 18 inch air though.

The LG Gram 17 sells well and there are many that like the big screen and light weight but it's not something with a lot of compute punch. The better comparison to the LG Gram 17 would be a MacBook Air 17.

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I disagree. I think an 18" XDR-type screen with Pro Motion and the same proportional specs would be very expensive.
My guess would be an extra £300 above the 16" for the same specs. Currently a £200 gap from the 14" to the 16", I can't see why the jump to 18" would be a huge leap in price? (happy to be proven wrong!)

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
The 17 MBP was so great. Not only did you get more screen real estate, but that baby had all the ports one could ever want or need. Including good old expresscard.
At my old job 10 years or so ago a bunch of our engineers liked them. They would run VMs to do QA tests. Having several windows open and a few network interfaces hanging off the TB, USB and Expresscard.
They also looked great in those Henge docks.
And it really didnt weight much more than a 15".
Had one as my company laptop for about 6 months before our VP backed his Audi over his laptop by accident and I had to find a substitute in a jiffy.
They were also great for converting the optical to a 2nd hard disk. You basically got a portable server.
The main drawback was that there were a lot less cases and such for them than the more popular 13" and 15".

Apple seems to be obsessed with minifying things for the last 5 years or so. Maybe with Ive gone we are seeing more practical desgins and less Braun worshipping. So maybe? Perhaps a "Macbook Studio"

An 18" MacBook Pro would be an instant buy for me. I was always fascinated by the size of the 17" Macbook Pro. I think that was also the perfect size. I really don't care about the thinness or how small it is. To me it's more so about functionality, durability and more screen estate.

The MacBook Pro 17" was an incredible machine. If Apple introduced MacBook Pro 18". I can't even imagine how good it is going to be.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The discussion was about how expensive the development would be and I stand by my point unless the go crazy with the specs that it wouldn't be prohibitively bad.
The 16" is only $200 USD more than the 14"; I agree that 18" wouldn't be that much more than the 16". Probably weigh just under 6 pounds.

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I hated my 17" and found it the worst of both worlds: poor as a desktop substitute (screen too small), and poor as a portable laptop (too big and heavy). I think an 18" would be even worse than a 17".
In contrast, a small but powerful laptop with an external monitor is the best of both worlds, IMO.

But I acknowledge there are probably use cases where a user is forced into, or likes, this compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn1217

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I would love this. Same use case for me.

I mostly use it at my desk, but will always have a laptop and external monitor instead of desktop. Every now and then I take it somewhere, and I couldn’t go desktop.

Now that apple has all but completed the move to their own silicon, MAYBE we will see new designs. We did just get a brand new Mac line with the Studio. Maybe that bodes well for people who would use relatively niche hardware like this.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I would love this. Same use case for me.

I mostly use it at my desk, but will always have a laptop and external monitor instead of desktop. Every now and then I take it somewhere, and I couldn’t go desktop.

Now that apple has all but completed the move to their own silicon, MAYBE we will see new designs. We did just get a brand new Mac line with the Studio. Maybe that bodes well for people who would use relatively niche hardware like this.

I expect more designs in volume areas. My example is a 15 inch or 16 inch Air. There are lots of people that want a bigger screen, don't need an M1 Pro and want something lighter than the MacBook pro 16.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I'm quite happy with the 16 but I'm mostly at home with it.

I would consider a 16 inch Air for casual use and travel. I just don't see a 17 or 18 inch air though.

The LG Gram 17 sells well and there are many that like the big screen and light weight but it's not something with a lot of compute punch. The better comparison to the LG Gram 17 would be a MacBook Air 17.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Apple shouldn't do this. In fact, I think they should - there seems to be market for especially a larger MBA. As someone who has waited (in vain) for certain tech products, I'd be genuinely happy for the folks who want this if it ever came out.

I'll admit I'd go to the nearest Apple Store to try them out, too. Just like I did with the 16" MBP. Awesome machines, but I'd still go for the smaller ones.
I should also mention that I do have a Mac mini with a 27" 4k display on my desk - so my preference for smaller displays is purely for on the go/sofa/bed ;D

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Apple shouldn't do this. In fact, I think they should - there seems to be market for especially a larger MBA. As someone who has waited (in vain) for certain tech products, I'd be genuinely happy for the folks who want this if it ever came out.

I'll admit I'd go to the nearest Apple Store to try them out, too. Just like I did with the 16" MBP. Awesome machines, but I'd still go for the smaller ones.
I should also mention that I do have a Mac mini with a 27" 4k display on my desk - so my preference for smaller displays is purely for on the go/sofa/bed ;D

Costco is a good place to try these out as they have the whole Apple lineup and they have Windows systems, including the LG Gram 17. If Costco sells it, then it's a high-volume product.

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
An 18" MacBook Pro would be an instant buy for me. I was always fascinated by the size of the 17" Macbook Pro. I think that was also the perfect size. I really don't care about the thinness or how small it is. To me it's more so about functionality, durability and more screen estate.

The MacBook Pro 17" was an incredible machine. If Apple introduced MacBook Pro 18". I can't even imagine how good it is going to be.

The 20-inch with M3 Ultra will also have: HDMI 2.1, SD Express 8.0, Ethernet port, 1xUSB-A, Thunderbolt 5, Wifi7, Bluetooth 5.3, 5G, Face ID and Touch ID, OLED.EX, 2000 nits brightness, refresh rates up to 240Hz, 8K.

mbp17forever

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2021
18-inch MBP would be fantastic.

When Apple stopped producing 17-inch laptops it was 2012 and the biggest iPhone was the 4-inch iPhone 5.

In a world where the 6,7 inch iPhone Pro Max is a best seller, a 18-inch MBP would be a best seller too.

Btw, most people hate external displays, dongles etc. They just want a big screen laptop to watch Netflix or edit YouTube videos.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I think the 16 inch pro already uses the maximum capacity of a battery allowed on airplanes by FAA rules.

If you had an 18 inch and could not get a bigger battery than the 16 already has, that means it would not last as long. Though that may not be a huge issue as long as it can get 7+ real world hours of productivity.

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I think the 16 inch pro already uses the maximum capacity of a battery allowed on airplanes by FAA rules.

If you had an 18 inch and could not get a bigger battery than the 16 already has, that means it would not last as long. Though that may not be a huge issue as long as it can get 7+ real world hours of productivity.
Agree if the battery was bigger you wouldn’t be taking it into a plane - I think you’d be able to have it in your luggage though, just not actually in person? (Let me know if that’s wrong though!)

I’d personally be happy with that trade-off, i.e. get a 20% bigger battery and not be able to use on planes (it’d be pretty unwieldy anyway).

Reactions: Appletoni

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
18-inch MBP would be fantastic.

When Apple stopped producing 17-inch laptops it was 2012 and the biggest iPhone was the 4-inch iPhone 5.

In a world where the 6,7 inch iPhone Pro Max is a best seller, a 18-inch MBP would be a best seller too.

Btw, most people hate external displays, dongles etc. They just want a big screen laptop to watch Netflix or edit YouTube videos.
Yep couldn’t agree more - would be awesome for anyone who wants a mobile desktop

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The most sensible move would be to switch from 14" + 16" to 14" + 18".
The 16" is already a bulky machine by Apple standards, it's made to be bought by people that need a portable workstation with a big screen and proper cooling, they care about that more than they care about the extra inch or pound in the backpack.

So it would make sense to make a bigger 18" to replace it, it could be thinner than the actual 16" while keeping the same level of cooling and battery (you can't put a bigger than 100wh battery anyway because of flight regulations).

Meanwhile, you keep the 14" as it is right now, because it already appeals to a completely different audience.

So you would have a 18" with weight similar to current 16", thickness similar to current 14" and all the strong points of the current 16". I'd buy it instantly (as an owner of the current 16").

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I wouldn't mind seeing it as I would value choice of size over choice of colors ( that is a different argument), but really don't see it happening. The 17" sold really poorly in terms of number of units and in terms of percentage of Powerbooks sold. A larger version today would just take sales away from the 16" model rather than create new sales IMO and the smaller "MacBooks" already greatly outsell the 16" version.

People pick on the iPhone mini for bad sales, but really it is only poor sales vs the other ipHone models. Any other company would love to have a model with those sales numbers.

It seems people want large iPhones and smaller "MacBooks".

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I wouldn't mind seeing it as I would value choice of size over choice of colors ( that is a different argument), but really don't see it happening. The 17" sold really poorly in terms of number of units and in terms of percentage of Powerbooks sold. A larger version today would just take sales away from the 16" model rather than create new sales IMO and the smaller "MacBooks" already greatly outsell the 16" version.

People pick on the iPhone mini for bad sales, but really it is only poor sales vs the other ipHone models. Any other company would love to have a model with those sales numbers.

It seems people want large iPhones and smaller "MacBooks".

I have an iPhone 13 mini and love it. It is great to run with because it is small and light. I previously used an iPhone 7+

I also have an iPad mini 5, though, so, if I need a bigger screen, I have one available.

So it may be the combination of devices which determines what people want for a particular device.

My desktop is 1x5k + 3x4k + 1xQHD. If I need more screen real-estate, I'll just walk over to my desktop.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I have an iPhone 13 mini and love it. It is great to run with because it is small and light. I previously used an iPhone 7+

I also have an iPad mini 5, though, so, if I need a bigger screen, I have one available.

So it may be the combination of devices which determines what people want for a particular device.

My desktop is 1x5k + 3x4k + 1xQHD. If I need more screen real-estate, I'll just walk over to my desktop.
I'm in the same boat. I have a 12 mini because when I'm out and about I don't need a big screen/device (I'm actually doing stuff and not doing things that would benefit from the larger screen) and appreciate the smaller form factor. When I'm home I rarely use my iPhone (other than for actual calls) and use my iPad instead. If I need to do even more demanding work I sue my MacBook and if I need even more than that I use my iMac...

Reactions: pshufd

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Nah--wouldn't buy one for my setup. I already find the 16" MBP pretty big and heavy. Though, I do have to travel with it next week, so I'll have to see how that ends up working out. And I do appreciate that it has a couple extra hours battery than my M1 Air had or my M1 Pro 14" has. I'd be willing to bet that on my upcoming work trip that I won't even ever have to charge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.