Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstahmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
USA
I have a soft cover 11x14 book called '1998: The Year of Thinking Different.' It has 2 page layouts of each of the 1998 Think Different series including:

To The Crazy Ones
Albert Einstein
Mahatma Gandhi
Pablo Picasso
Alfred Hitchcock
Rosa Parks
Bob Dylan
Buzz Aldrin
Muhammad Ali
Thomas Edison
Martha Graham
Jim Henson
Maria Callas
Dalai Lama
Amelia Earhart
Ansel Adams
Joan Baez
Paul Rand
Miles Davis
Lucy & Desi
John & Yoko

On the last page it mentions "This is a limited-edition publication to commemorate the first year of the 'Think Different' series. It is not for sale or resale, and is only available to employees/affiliates of Apple Computer Inc."

A friend gave me the book many years ago, and with the recent discussions on the Think Different posters, I'm curious if anyone knows anything about these books (how many were made, what it could be worth). I haven't seen anyone mention the book.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jstahmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
USA
Some pictures I found online. Same book I have....

-8492605565010060.jpg

-8492605565010061.jpg

-8492605565010062.jpg

-8492605565010063.jpg

Someone on Amazon is asking $545 for a copy..

steveca

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
I have one like that... It was part of the Think Different campaign. Very interesting stuff indeed. Dont think it costs over 500 dollars but the value is surely on the way up like all meaningful mac stuff

----------

there are a lot of posters as well. Very expensive indeed but most of them are fakes...

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I've still got several of those books around. They were very nicely done although they pick up fingerprints very easily. The books were free giveaways at an Apple Event held at the Flint Center back in the day. Everyone in attendance was able to get them as they left. Many thousands were made. 500+ seems crazy to me for a value on one from that amazon link which is probably why its still available. Suppose I could throw up one of my extras on ebay at no reserve and find out ;)

Edited to add: Checked the bay quick and saw someone had a beat up one sell for 190 BIN. Would guess 250+ for a mint one but figure most have been worn a bit by now.

Last edited:

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I've got a couple of these as well but never paid more than £25 GBP for one. The $500 version is cashing in on SJ, not worth it!

jbclie

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
Tiggs,

I know it's been a few years since you mentioned the Think Different book from the ad campaign on here, but I was wondering if you still had a copy or two left that you may want to part with?

I'm reading the latest SJ bio 'Becoming Steve Jobs' and they mentioned the making of the book and it's significance. I'd really like to get a copy if you still have any. Thanks.

Reactions: grandM

negot8or

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
I still have a box full of these. Been waiting for the free-roaming ones to get destroyed and the value to rise. :)

isitabee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
Metro Boston
I thought Bob Dylan’s image had to be removed from the “To the crazy ones.” posters because of copyright issues…that’s why his image is missing from the Chiat Newspaper Reprints floating around on eBay. Now that was late in 1997, perhaps by 1998, the copyright of this book, that had all been settled?
Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.