Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Any 40D/5D/1Ds users out there planning on buying the 1Ds MKIII when it becomes available in the next few weeks?

I'm having trouble deciding whether there will be any noticeable difference in image quality over the 5D. I'd love to have 5 fps, a larger LCD, viewfinder, crop-til-you-drop ability, and weather sealing - but $7300 (estimated street price) is a *$#%load of money for just a body if the differences in IQ aren't much.

Thoughts?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
What are you doing with your pictures? Do you need sealing? Or 5 fps?

Because otherwise, if you feel the need to upgrade, I think you should rather wait for the 5D Mark II (or whatever it'll be called) or upgrade to the 1 Ds Mark II. But honestly, it sounds as if you don't really need the features of the Mark III (correct me if I'm wrong, though). Probably the 5D Mark II will be more on par with the 40D (sealing) than it is now and it is also reasonable to assume that they will increase the resolution. I think that camera is a much more reasonable (in terms of money) upgrade than what you propose now.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Better gear is always worth it in terms of absolute image quality; however, the big question remains: can you afford it? Will you be making money with it? It's an expensive toy if it's just that.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah, I guess I wish there was a more substantial leap in IQ. The old Mark II cameras are around $3500-4000 (heck, even the 1D mkII can be found for $1500!) so it might be worth a look.

I figure that we would have a few 1D users on this board and maybe a 1Ds user or two.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
To be honest,

From what I see there in your sig you have some nice glass there! Stick with your 5D and perhaps wait for the 5D MK II or whatever it's gonna be called.

1Ds is just an outrageous price for unless your doing some serious sports stuff etc.

I'd say the next 5D is gonna be a great camera. MP bump and a whole load of new features.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
What are you doing with your pictures? Do you need sealing? Or 5 fps?

Because otherwise, if you feel the need to upgrade, I think you should rather wait for the 5D Mark II (or whatever it'll be called) or upgrade to the 1 Ds Mark II. But honestly, it sounds as if you don't really need the features of the Mark III (correct me if I'm wrong, though). Probably the 5D Mark II will be more on par with the 40D (sealing) than it is now and it is also reasonable to assume that they will increase the resolution. I think that camera is a much more reasonable (in terms of money) upgrade than what you propose now.

To be honest,

From what I see there in your sig you have some nice glass there! Stick with your 5D and perhaps wait for the 5D MK II or whatever it's gonna be called.

1Ds is just an outrageous price for unless your doing some serious sports stuff etc.

I'd say the next 5D is gonna be a great camera. MP bump and a whole load of new features.

Whatever Canon does, Nikon has them beat with the D3, lol

I would much rather have ISO6.4k-25.6k capability with the same MP resolution (apparently Nikon doesn't currently feel they need to bump the MP as much as Canon has done), just too many instances where DOF or slower speed zooms can benefit from higher ISO (especially when you need to handhold shots).

D3 @ ISO 6400, 12,800, 25,600
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8745-9153

The 5D replacement/update will be likely be along the lines of the other new updates 40D/1Ds...ie. Nikon stold the thunder with their more impressive offerings. 5D mkII would have lower ISO :(, some type of live view (boring), lower res LCD screen, and minor seals as in the 40D are nothing to get excited about when Nikon's are more fully sealed.

Going from a 5D to 1Ds, you get a much larger and heavier dSLR, one could hope the saving grace on a 5D update would be significant weight and size reduction...but there are no rumors of anything like that.

At any rate, we can hope that the 5D update gets announced in January along with all new Mac's, in the 1st part of the month :D

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
(apparently Nikon doesn't currently feel they need to bump the MP as much as Canon has done)

Well, for about the last 18 months or so the rumor has been that Nikon has a higher-res full-frame camera in the works, with speculation that it'll come out around Photokina 2008.

Given the way the various models are positioned, it seems apparent that the D3 isn't really meant to compete directly with the 1Ds. Nikon and Canon seem to have been content so far slotting their cameras in between each other's models in terms of price/performance/feathres. However if Nikon does come out with this rumored new camera, it'll be interesting because it'll obviously be going head to head against the 1Ds.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I have a 5D and about the same gear as yours. In my case the upgrade cost isnt worth it because I dont make money out of my pictures. BUT one thing that most people dont talk about when they talk about the 1D serie is the improvement in the autofocus. 1D series have insane AF, I dont know how someone can make a OoF picture with these lens. This is probably the biggest improvement in IQ one can get going up from a 5D. Also bigger view finder helps (they have more coverage).

That being said, I am moving either to the MarkIIId or the 5D replacement.

BTW, I am surprised to see that you dont have any IS lens. I just traded my 70-200f2.8 for the f4IS version and it was the best trade I ever did! Now I just need to deceide if I go 24-70f2.8 or 24-105f4IS as my travel lens...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
BTW, I am surprised to see that you dont have any IS lens. I just traded my 70-200f2.8 for the f4IS version and it was the best trade I ever did! Now I just need to deceide if I go 24-70f2.8 or 24-105f4IS as my travel lens...

I do! I just ran out of characters in my sig! [updated now] Go for the 24-70mm f/2.8 -- You'd be surprised how much 2.8 comes in handy!

I think I'm a 5D mkII kind of guy, I just wish I could see the damn specs and not have to wait until January/March/May. Oh well, maybe I can pick up a wide zoom instead. Good glass last forever.

skuzzy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Cape Town, SA
I have a friend who has a Canon 1D MkIII and he absolutely loves it to death. Since he got it he has not put it down. I am no professional photographer but its a very nice camera with a truckload of features. In my opinion, you would have to be a photo freak to buy one, but it will be worth it.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Just for reference, we are mainly talking about the 1Ds camera, not the 1D. Not that we wouldn't all love getting one of them for Christmas!

1Ds: 21MP camera for studio/landscape work
1D: 10MP camera for sports work (10fps)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Any 40D/5D/1Ds users out there planning on buying the 1Ds MKIII when it becomes available in the next few weeks?

I'm having trouble deciding whether there will be any noticeable difference in image quality over the 5D. I'd love to have 5 fps, a larger LCD, viewfinder, crop-til-you-drop ability, and weather sealing - but $7300 (estimated street price) is a *$#%load of money for just a body if the differences in IQ aren't much.

Thoughts?

1. How many shots are you missing with our current body?
2. Will a good lens cure that?
3. Are they significant shots?
4. Are they worth the money?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I cured it with a new 16-35mm f/2.8 lens. That should drain the temptation account enough until the 5D mkII is released and we can make some real comparisons.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
A bit of wildlife, some architecture, occasional weddings. I lurk in the Pic of the Day forum. Maybe I'll post some stuff now. Good idea! :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well, for about the last 18 months or so the rumor has been that Nikon has a higher-res full-frame camera in the works, with speculation that it'll come out around Photokina 2008.

I hope the rumours of a 24 MP camera aren't true, and a 21 MP or 18 MP camera comes out. Some people want more pixels, but the difference between 21 MP and 18 MP isn't much (maybe 300 more pixels along the length, and 200 more along the width?) isn't going to get you much more detail. Maybe what you lose in pixels is gained back by having "better" pixels......ones that will give you better image quality overall.

I would much rather have ISO6.4k-25.6k capability with.....

Yes, you want those things. Some people want/need the extra pixels. Your response is very fanboy-ish. Besides, the D3 isn't even around to compete with the 5D, so it won't be stealing any thunder. Replace the D3's sensor with a 16 MP version, make the D3 the same physical size of a D300, and then chop the price of the D3 in half, and that's what the 5D Mk II will likely be. Nikon that doesn't offer anything like the 5D, which is a cheap full frame camera capable of taking excellent photos, all at a price of around $2500 US dollars. Even if the 12 MP FX sensor was put in a D300 body, but with a slower FPS and poorer AF system than the D300 (ie: they just use the same one found in the D200 or D80), the camera would still cost $3000 or more.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
The improvements achieved over a 5D wouldn't make much of a difference over the cityscape type stuff I usually do. And at least with the 5D I can remain at least half way inconspicuous.

HooHar

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Ordered mine today...

I currently use a 1Ds2 and have ordered my 1Ds3 today.

The benefits for me in order (best first) are as follows:
1) 14 bit A/D converter giving a full 2 stops more tonal range than the 1Ds2
2) 21 MP as opposed to 17 MP on the 1Ds2 - more creative freedom for cropping etc...
3) Dust reduction - wow - how good will that be!

I shoot landscape so I think I'll reap the benefits :D

I'd say get one - it is THE best digital SLR on the planet.

Cheers

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Actually, won't that just give finer graduations over the same range? More steps on the ladder versus a longer ladder. Highlight tone priority might help with reach, but I think the extra bits will just help with graduation.

2) 21 MP as opposed to 17 MP on the 1Ds2 - more creative freedom for cropping etc...

But diffraction will hit sooner- that may be a downer for landscapes.

Anyway, I hope you get what you want from the camera.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

3) Dust reduction - wow - how good will that be!

I shoot landscape so I think I'll reap the benefits :D

I'd say get one - it is THE best digital SLR on the planet.

Cheers

I'm not arguing, but 2 of the 3 reasons come with the 40D. I suppose they have to get enough of these out into the wild to tempt us and then only months later can they release an update to the 5D.

Post pictures and thoughts when you get it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.