Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdlow

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Mac_tech, did you try this and find it working? There are a few mixed reports on the 1Password forum, so would be great if you could let me know before I upgrade:

Are you using 1PW 7 as a standalone client with a standalone license, or are you using a subscription? I ask that because it plays a part into if you upgrade or not.

BL.

jamesdlow

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
Are you using 1PW 7 as a standalone client with a standalone license, or are you using a subscription? I ask that because it plays a part into if you upgrade or not.

BL.
1Password 7 standalone

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
1Password 7 standalone

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1PASSWORD 8!!!

Whatever you do, do not upgrade to 1Password 8. They got rid of the standalone license starting with 8, and has pushed everyone to the subscription model. If you upgrade, you'll lose that standalone license, and can not get back to it unless you have a full backup of your Mac that you can restore to that has 1PW 7 installed.

Everyone under 1PW 7 (I was on 1PW 6.8.9) had no way to get to 1Password 7 and purchase a standalone license because they shut down the servers provisioning those licenses. So everything 1PW 7 and 1PW 8 currently are all using the subscription model. Anyone on 1PW 6 and under are stuck with no upgrade path unless they go with the subscription model.

Making it worse (and lucky for you), 1PW 7 is a universal binary, so you can run it without any problems. As 1PW 6 and lower are Intel binaries, when Apple drops Rosetta 2 support and goes completely Silicon, all Intel binaries will fail to run, leaving those users stranded. Right now, you're in that sweet spot where you can use 1PW 7 forever. If I were you, I would not upgrade without losing that permanent license.

BL.

jamesdlow

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1PASSWORD 8!!!

Whatever you do, do not upgrade to 1Password 8. They got rid of the standalone license starting with 8, and has pushed everyone to the subscription model. If you upgrade, you'll lose that standalone license, and can not get back to it unless you have a full backup of your Mac that you can restore to that has 1PW 7 installed.

Everyone under 1PW 7 (I was on 1PW 6.8.9) had no way to get to 1Password 7 and purchase a standalone license because they shut down the servers provisioning those licenses. So everything 1PW 7 and 1PW 8 currently are all using the subscription model. Anyone on 1PW 6 and under are stuck with no upgrade path unless they go with the subscription model.

Making it worse (and lucky for you), 1PW 7 is a universal binary, so you can run it without any problems. As 1PW 6 and lower are Intel binaries, when Apple drops Rosetta 2 support and goes completely Silicon, all Intel binaries will fail to run, leaving those users stranded. Right now, you're in that sweet spot where you can use 1PW 7 forever. If I were you, I would not upgrade without losing that permanent license.

BL.
I got that, that's why I'm sticking to 1PW 7. I meant if I should upgrade to macOS Ventura, as I want to keep 1PW 7 working for the reason you gave.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I got that, that's why I'm sticking to 1PW 7. I meant if I should upgrade to macOS Ventura, as I want to keep 1PW 7 working for the reason you gave.

That won't matter either way. If you upgrade to Ventura, 1PW 7 should still work, as it's a universal binary. But If it doesn't work, you'd still have that backup that you can restore back to, and you'd be back to where you were before. I don't see how it shouldn't work.

BL.

Mac_tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Iowa, USA
Mac_tech, did you try this and find it working? There are a few mixed reports on the 1Password forum, so would be great if you could let me know before I upgrade:

https://1password.community/discuss...d-7-with-apple-watch-does-not-work-in-ventura

https://1password.community/discussion/130639/1password-7-and-macos-ventura
It works fine and just updated to Ventura version 13.1 today. Thanks for reaching out and appreciate the follow up. Go head and upgrade it works for me with no issues on a 14" MacBook Pro.

Mac_tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Iowa, USA

BL.
I'm using the standalone client with a standalone license, the way software should be. I'm not a fan of subscribing to software but that's me.

Reactions: rmadsen3 and bradl

jamesdlow

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
It works fine and just updated to Ventura version 13.1 today. Thanks for reaching out and appreciate the follow up. Go head and upgrade it works for me with no issues on a 14" MacBook Pro.

Thanks! Just upgraded and seems to be all working too! Hopefully, with more answers, this thread now helps others looking to upgrade to Ventura.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks! Just upgraded and seems to be all working too! Hopefully, with more answers, this thread now helps others looking to upgrade to Ventura.

It does. However, because of those issues brought up before about going to the subscription model and no upgrade path to the last version that runs standalone, most have ended up cutting their losses and looking for alternatives. There's a thread in the Mac Apps section called the 1Password Migrants thread, going over what alternatives out there are the closest to 1Password that offer features that everyone needs. If anyone is looking outside of 1Password, that is the place to go.

BL.

Reactions: kboller07

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I'm still using 1Password 6 on my M2 Air (13.1). Only "problem" is the Safari and Chrome extension is not working (I do have an 1Password 7 license but I dislike the UI), but I use Firefox anyway.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm still using 1Password 6 on my M2 Air (13.1). Only "problem" is the Safari and Chrome extension is not working (I do have an 1Password 7 license but I dislike the UI), but I use Firefox anyway.

What's going to get you is Rosetta 2. As it is running to provide compatibility with the Intel binary, once Apple drops Rosetta 2 from MacOS, that binary won't run anymore because of incompatible architecture. You'll be forced to go up to 1Password 7, or migrate off of 1Password completely.

BL.

mcjack

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
I upgraded from Mac OS 12.6.1 to 13.1, and a window permanently pops up now that my 1pw (version 6.8.9) is damaged and should be dragged to the bin. Very strange!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I upgraded from Mac OS 12.6.1 to 13.1, and a window permanently pops up now that my 1pw (version 6.8.9) is damaged and should be dragged to the bin. Very strange!

Is Rosetta 2 still running when you try to open it?

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
How can I find this out?

If I remember right, if you go to Utilities - Activity Monitor, run that, then try to start 1Password 6, you should see Rosetta 2 start with it. The reason I'm asking on this is because if Rosetta 2 doesn't start, I wonder if this is one of the errors to expect when an Intel binary runs on incompatible architecture. I know that at the CLI we would get that very error if an incompatible binary were to run.

BL.

mcjack

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
If I remember right, if you go to Utilities - Activity Monitor, run that, then try to start 1Password 6, you should see Rosetta 2 start with it. The reason I'm asking on this is because if Rosetta 2 doesn't start, I wonder if this is one of the errors to expect when an Intel binary runs on incompatible architecture. I know that at the CLI we would get that very error if an incompatible binary were to run.

BL.
Thanks for your reply! I've tried the activity monitor, and Rosetta wasn't running. However, I got 1pw 6 up & running by following this:
  • 1. Open Finder on your Mac and locate the app you want to open.
    Tip: Click Applications in the left-sidebar.
  • 2. control+click the app icon.
  • 3. Choose Open from the quick actions menu.
  • Fact: The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can with any other authorized app.

mcjack

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009

BL.
Thank you for your reply! I've tried the activity monitor in the meantime, and Rosetta was not running. But I got 1pw 6 to finally run by following this:
  • 1. Open Finder on your Mac and locate the app you want to open.
    Tip: Click Applications in the left-sidebar.
  • 2. control+click the app icon.
  • 3. Choose Open from the quick actions menu.
  • Fact: The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can with any other authorized app.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
What's going to get you is Rosetta 2. As it is running to provide compatibility with the Intel binary, once Apple drops Rosetta 2 from MacOS, that binary won't run anymore because of incompatible architecture. You'll be forced to go up to 1Password 7, or migrate off of 1Password completely.

BL.

Yes that is getting me Rosetta, which I need anyway for some of the other applications I depend on which are not M compatible.

And when Apple drops Rosetta then I will move to Bitwarden or enPass (got a lifetime license), or something else.

I was a very happy 1P customer for many years (from version 1), but then they decided to follow Adobe in to the universe of subscription software which I am very much against for private use. And with the UI change in 1P7 I just gave up on the company.

Reactions: rmadsen3

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes that is getting me Rosetta, which I need anyway for some of the other applications I depend on which are not M compatible.

And when Apple drops Rosetta then I will move to Bitwarden or enPass (got a lifetime license), or something else.

I was a very happy 1P customer for many years (from version 1), but then they decided to follow Adobe in to the universe of subscription software which I am very much against for private use. And with the UI change in 1P7 I just gave up on the company.

Hopefully with the latest LastPass revelation they might rethink the subscription model. I doubt it, but here's to hoping..

BL.

Reactions: casperghst42

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Hopefully with the latest LastPass revelation they might rethink the subscription model. I doubt it, but here's to hoping..

BL.

Not only the subscription model, but also their forced cloud. But I guess that they will continue on the track which they are on, subscription is a guarantied way to get money from customers. Looks at Adobe before and after subscription.

But it's not only the subscription, I also do not like the UI changes, so when 1P6 stops working I'll be getting something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.