Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not only the subscription model, but also their forced cloud. But I guess that they will continue on the track which they are on, subscription is a guarantied way to get money from customers. Looks at Adobe before and after subscription.

But it's not only the subscription, I also do not like the UI changes, so when 1P6 stops working I'll be getting something else.

Good news for you is that 1P6 won't ever stop working, especially if you have it standalone. The only thing that will stop it is when MacOS completely abandons Rosetta 2 support for Intel binaries. When that version of MacOS comes out, the last of the Intel Macs will be stuck on that last version of MacOS, then for anything new that is needed, they'll need a hardware upgrade.

That's why I went ahead and cut my losses this past April and migrated to Silicon from my 2011 MBA.

BL.

Mac_tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Iowa, USA
Not only the subscription model, but also their forced cloud. But I guess that they will continue on the track which they are on, subscription is a guarantied way to get money from customers. Looks at Adobe before and after subscription.

But it's not only the subscription, I also do not like the UI changes, so when 1P6 stops working I'll be getting something else.
Couldn't you upgrade or get 1Password version 7? This is the version I'm currently using, not a subscription.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Couldn't you upgrade or get 1Password version 7? This is the version I'm currently using, not a subscription.

No. They turned off the servers provisioning standalone licenses and disabled the webservice that provisioned them when shortly before they announced 1Password 8. While one can download the standalone version of 1Password 7, there is no way to purchase a 1Password 7 standalone license anymore.

BL.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I went with the subscription model, for now, and will pay ~$20/year for 4yrs.
And no I don’t like subscriptions and avoid them as much as I can.
But I get it that developers wants to survive too. But I very am picky in what I subscribe to, as what is the most important to me.

With the discount I got the first 4 yrs and trading in the 7.0, It was acceptable for now, and will give me time to investigate other options while I know my passwords are safe and working on all my devices during this time.

I don’t have to jeopardize my passwords, security and other notes that I collected in 1P and playing with it, and testing other options under some stress because I need to have a working password solution in latest Ventura.

I will check this and other threads on MR the years to come, then time will tell if the probably $40/yr will be worth it in 2026 for 1P.

I hope mostly that Apple will evolve their Passwords functionality to something better than what it is today. It have moved forward some, and I heard many who use only that today.
Time will tell…

NexusEclipse

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
I went with the subscription model, for now, and will pay ~$20/year for 4yrs.
And no I don’t like subscriptions and avoid them as much as I can.
But I get it that developers wants to survive too. But I very am picky in what I subscribe to, as what is the most important to me.

With the discount I got the first 4 yrs and trading in the 7.0, It was acceptable for now, and will give me time to investigate other options while I know my passwords are safe and working on all my devices during this time.

I don’t have to jeopardize my passwords, security and other notes that I collected in 1P and playing with it, and testing other options under some stress because I need to have a working password solution in latest Ventura.

I will check this and other threads on MR the years to come, then time will tell if the probably $40/yr will be worth it in 2026 for 1P.

I hope mostly that Apple will evolve their Passwords functionality to something better than what it is today. It have moved forward some, and I heard many who use only that today.
Time will tell…
Its unfortunate their SW is well written and good enough that I am still running 1Password 4 just fine while storing on a separate cloud storage (with its own two factor login) and it works fine for now. IOS support is still there but plugins are completely busted on PC. I get why they needed to improve monetization, but forcing everyone to use their cloud just opens up security issues by centralizing peoples credentials.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I am running 6 and it works just fine. I will not upgrade to 8 until they move their servers to non Canada place like Switzerland. I don't mind the subscription I just don't like Canada data laws much.

kboller07

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
I don't mind subscriptions for quality software like 1Password but I just don't like the option of no more offline storage. Everything is cloud only in 8 and I don't want to put my most sensitive data in the hands of 1Password, even though you're still protected by your master password.

Reactions: casperghst42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.