Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
I mean, how long should it take? Whenever I can, I've kept my air tags close to my phone. Two weeks later, they're still on the old firmware. All settings required to instigate a firmware update have been checked and are enabled.

Any idea folks?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Can't help you other than I opened find my and tapped on my AirTag to see the firmware version then left find my open with the AiTag next to it. I must of done that a bunch of times for a few days. Then I did the same thing a couple of days later and within 20 minutes the AirTag updated. Couldn't tell you why or what triggered it . Wish Apple would change the way AirTags and AirPods update and make it user initiated..

Reactions: Dog Bone Malone

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I have one that is two versions behind on 1.0.301 and no matter what I do it won’t upgrade. I tried what @BugeyeSTI recommended and kept waking my phone for hours. It is already on it’s second battery since I have had it since release day. So it is possible for it to upgrade. But still no go.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
I have one that is two versions behind on 1.0.301 and no matter what I do it won’t upgrade. I tried what @BugeyeSTI recommended and kept waking my phone for hours. It is already on it’s second battery since I have had it since release day. So it is possible for it to upgrade. But still no go.
There seems to be no logical reasoning as to how/when/why they update when they do. I had given up and not checked my air tags for a while, then for some reason, I had a quick check of the firmware and it had updated! Go figure!

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
What firmware version are they suppose to be on? Because as Whigu said, before now I haven't checked and/or cared much about it but I guess it is good for them to stay up to date.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
they do after a while. have six they all updated 2 days after. but in recent times it takes time. One has been in the car for about a few days, it's updated. no special ways to help it go faster.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
For what it’s worth. I purchased a AirTag 4 pack from Costco I just activated one on my keychain it was on firmware 1xxxx ( sorry I have forgotten which one) I placed my keychain next to my iPhone 13 pro max with its Bluetooth on next to the keychain and it was updated to the latest in under an hour.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
My tags are still on 1.0.291. Kept the tags close to my phone. None of them upgraded.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Would it help to restart the iPhone or whatever device is being used to push the firmware to the AirTags? I imagine that there's something stuck on the device that is capturing the firmware to be pushed to the AirTags.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Leave the Find My app open. Keep the AirTags close. It updated within 10 minutes for my new Tags.

Reactions: shinemoon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.